• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PS3 vs 360 hardware comparison - Clarifications

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm a PS3 fan, and I'm sorry but sony fudged up on the GPU department, and bottom line, it doesn't matter.

GPU only matters as far as development goes.

Sony wanted a customized chip from ATI but didn't give ATI a lot of time, so ATI said, "Hey we can't make it that fast you'll have to delay."

Sony went to Nvidia and what did they get? 7800GTX gpu.

What does Microsoft have? A custom made GPU by ATI that has unified shaders. Notice a key term? The 7800GTX and 500 series ATI GPU's didn't have unified shaders, the technology that made 8800GTX obliterate everyone. So technically 360 has a hybrid R600 and it's competing against a G70. Ever see benchmarks of 7800GTX versus the 2900XT? Yeah, kind of a land slide there.

Where the PS3 dominates is in its processing power, CPU side.

What I think is interesting will be to see the size of future consoles. I don't think they can stay at their current sizes as they keep adding more graphics power.

An interesting 'spec' to factor here is 'Reliability'. You all know what I'm talking about. :)

What I think is interesting will be to see the size of future consoles. I don't think they can stay at their current sizes as they keep adding more graphics power.

An interesting point. I think current consoles are RIDICULOUSLY huge. I mean I thought the saturn was gigantic... it's a portable CD PLAYER compared to today's consoles.

But I still see them getting smaller now that die sizes are shrinking. Plus IBM was talking about a Cell processor that would have integrated video/CPU. So the technology is there to make smaller consoles, they just have to use it.

I am not down playing Microsoft past problems, however I think for the most part those issues have been solved.

Not really. It won't EVER be solved because Microsoft didn't do the right thing: A recall.

That's why we still get one or two RROD posts a week here at OCF. (And if that's happening HERE... what do you think is happening on actual game sites?)

And the 3 year mark provides them with an excellent little loophole: What about all those people that bought systems on DAY ONE in 2005? What about all the systems that have miraculously held out until now?

The day those three years are up (which is two months from now), Microsoft doesn't have to do a damned thing. They're completely exonerated. (And THOSE are the systems most likely to crash.)

So no... I wouldn't go so far as to say it's been "resolved."

I am not down playing Microsoft past problems, however I think for the most part those issues have been solved.

I know they've changed cooling solutions around and I believe they've done die shrinks, but this thread is comparing the two outright. You can't sweep the past under a rug.

Not really. It won't EVER be solved because Microsoft didn't do the right thing: A recall.

That's why we still get one or two RROD posts a week here at OCF. (And if that's happening HERE... what do you think is happening on actual game sites?)

And the 3 year mark provides them with an excellent little loophole: What about all those people that bought systems on DAY ONE in 2005? What about all the systems that have miraculously held out until now?

The day those three years are up (which is two months from now), Microsoft doesn't have to do a damned thing. They're completely exonerated. (And THOSE are the systems most likely to crash.)

So no... I wouldn't go so far as to say it's been "resolved."

Do you happen to know the failure/send in for warranty rates of the new HDMI Xbox 360's? (I am not being sarcastic, I am actually wondering)

I guess my experience with the Xbox 360 has been a good one. Between my elite, brothers launch core system, other brothers launch halo edition (hdmi), and friends launch elite system. None of us have had a single issue.

Because the rich guys never get the hot, young chicks, right? :rolleyes:

Big difference between Mathematician With Money (MWM) and being RICH. Though I'm sure an MWM could get young hot chicks...

...as long as he's not afraid to talk to them. :beer:

Do you happen to know the failure/send in for warranty rates of the new HDMI Xbox 360's? (I am not being sarcastic, I am actually wondering)

I guess my experience with the Xbox 360 has been a good one. Between my elite, brothers launch core system, other brothers launch halo edition (hdmi), and friends launch elite system. None of us have had a single issue.

That's no good Vinny... That means that the chances are pretty damned good that, if your launch systems finally DO fail in the next two to three months, you'll be COMPLETELY out of luck in terms of the RROD warranty.

You would've been better off if your machines HAD failed and you'd gotten them replaced already.

That's no good Vinny... That means that the chances are pretty damned good that, if your launch systems finally DO fail in the next two to three months, you'll be COMPLETELY out of luck in terms of the RROD warranty.

You would've been better off if your machines HAD failed and you'd gotten them replaced already.

I realize that my brother will be SOL if his Xbox 360 RRoD say six months from now. However the spirit of this thread seems to suggest comparisons of the two systems at this current point in time (08/18/2008). That is why I think the reliability of the Xbox 360 is less of an issue than it was say a year ago.

I realize that my brother will be SOL if his Xbox 360 RRoD say six months from now. However the spirit of this thread seems to suggest comparisons of the two systems at this current point in time (08/18/2008). That is why I think the reliability of the Xbox 360 is less of an issue than it was say a year ago.

Oh yeah. It's CERTAINLY less of an issue than a year ago (I used my replacement plan to trade my 360 in almost exactly a year ago). I'm in complete agreement with you there.

I just think it's a bit much (and your brother might agree) to say that it's completely "resolved."

You're telling me that out of all the 2 GigaFLOPS of processing power the PS3 has, 1.8 of it is from the GPU? All this fuss about Cell...

Edit: I also find it hard to believe that the 360's GPU only manages to account for 240 GigaFLOPS of a total system output of 1 TeraFLOP. The numbers don't make a whole lot of sense.

In fact I've changed my mind. The numbers ARE RIDICULOUS. :-/

Last edited:
My 360 is the original launch console. Have yet to see a RRoD...but yeah, what Rainless said about warranty, if she dies in the coming months all MS is going to do about it is probably be surprised it survived up to this point. On the other hand, my PS3 BlueRay had to be replaced already and the PS3 is barely 6 months old.

A $400 investment should really have a lifetime warranty, especially if the product has a tendency to die with the frequencies that the 360's have been dying at.

A $400 investment should really have a lifetime warranty..

C'mon. Most electronics products don't come with more than a year or few, and where's your ps3 going to be in 15 years anyway?
I feel a one year is minimum, and a three year should be standard.

C'mon. Most electronics products don't come with more than a year or few, and where's your ps3 going to be in 15 years anyway?
I feel a one year is minimum, and a three year should be standard.

Ok maybe lifetime would be stretching it, but I would sure still like to have it in 5-7, unless they come up with a newer format than BlueRay. Just like the 60" Sony TV in my living room that I've had since 03' that has been serviced under warranty twice already. Just because its not state of the art, doesn't make it worthless.

Back