• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water Cooled Framer Project

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
hey navig, why dont you get a wire welder. As much alu. you mess with, it would save you a boundle in brackets.

About the welding, yeah I get that a bit. Just remember I'm really pretty much a novice when it comes to this sort of shop stuff. Until the year before the last, I was modding in my KITCHEN. I'm completely self-taught, and my most expensive tool is my prized $130 plastic cutting saw blade. Which is why most of my mods aren't really that technically difficult--hence "DIY".

I'm not sure I could teach myself to weld. Shop and metal working classes are on my life's to-do list.

Next stop--internal framing.

I've been thinking of building a tube-framed case lately...may have to take some queues from you Nav. ;)

One thing that bugs me though....all this metal is gonna be quite heavy after it's assembled. And I see you're using acrylic brackets. Aren't you worried about stress cracking?

It's quite light, as mentioned this is 1/16" wall thickness aluminum. So far I can reach out and lift the frame with my arm outstretched without even straining myself.

The acrylic corner brackets were not my first choice, if you read above. I'm still waiting for a machine shop to fabricate me some metal ones. However, it is hi quality 1/4" acrylic--properly bonded (I use IPS weld #3), its pretty strong.

I'll comment on the overall strength of the case. As seen in the last picture, its has pretty good stability. When bracketed together in a full structure, it maintains its integrity quite well. Certainly strong enough for computer components, but probably not strong enough to support human weight.

It is a very large case. There is some torsional wobbling if you work the long axis corners. I do have plans to stiffen the case up. The framework to mount components and panels is going to double as cross bars to add stability. Finally, when you lock the panel pieces into place, it should be quite rigid. Unfortunately a little bit of wobble is inherent in such a large frame with big wide open panel sides.

navig

Here's the subframe, which acts as a shelf for the 5.25 bay rack, the psu, and the motherboard tray:

Bareframecomplete1.jpg

Here are some pics on how the components will sit:

Bareframewithcomp3.jpg

As I mentioned the subframe holds up some components, creating a space below it for a radiator.

Back:

Bareframewithcompback.jpg

Side:

Bareframewithcomp4.jpg

Front:

Bareframewithcomponents1.jpg

Looking awesome, another good project to show others what can be done with some imagination and skill.

Rails at the top and bottom will hold radiators:

Upperradiatorrail.jpg

Here's a little strength and stability test. It's a decent frame, strong and light:

th_Stabilitytest.jpg

wish i could build stuff... i have a habit of cutting and burning myself... and thats just me attempting to cook!! :D

I was shopping radiator grills, but the prices just got to me. So I poked around my shop and found all the necessary stuff:

Grill1.jpg

Expanded aluminum mesh, 1/2" aluminum trim (1/16" thickness), some 3/8" corner braces, screws, washers, and nuts.

Bang bang drill drill and about an hour later:

Grill2.jpg

The remaining holes are for mounting it to the panel.

Back