• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rosetta Status

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
May I suggest that it is more efficient to put oars on both sides of the boat this time?

Meaning that we try and recruit from all the other O/C teams for this effort?

Could you be a bit plainer for us po' simple folks?

@Ben, I saw that. You had your WU's several hours before my server could get enough work. Se La Vie.
Edit:

You little *heathen* - you're already #3 in RAC for the team!​
:burn: :burn:

Last edited:
I know I'm the new guy around here but I can join the efforts :p

I know nothing about BOINC (okay, I used to do SETI but that was years ago) so I have just a couple of questions.

1) Does the client use only idle CPU cycles like the FAH client? If so I want to change the "suspend if active" setting right?

2) Will the client automatically utilize multiple core machines or do I need to download multiple copies and all of that jazz.

3) If I'm also running FAH GPU2 will it play nice w/BOINC? Don't want to compromise FAH performance you know :p

I'll try this first on my laptop and if all goes well I'll add a E2200, E4300, and E8400 to the mix, okay?

1) Does the client use only idle CPU cycles like the FAH client? If so I want to change the "suspend if active" setting right?

2) Will the client automatically utilize multiple core machines or do I need to download multiple copies and all of that jazz.

3) If I'm also running FAH GPU2 will it play nice w/BOINC? Don't want to compromise FAH performance you know :p

I'll try this first on my laptop and if all goes well I'll add a E2200, E4300, and E8400 to the mix, okay?
1) Correct, it has low priority. I play games and do whatever else I need to without noticing any performance hit

2) Yes, it runs one client per core automatically for you

3) I would suggest turning down cpu time to 90%, otherwise the GPU client takes a huge hit

First, :welcome: Surfpunk! Our newest team member. :welcome:

Although our RAC is slowly climbing - now up to 3,700+, we will need a lot of help to pull it up enough to swamp the Stinky Feet Fleet. ('AR, they be stinkin' like rotting corpses - perhaps because a few of them ARE rotting corpses). ;)

Also, I see that little heathen Ben, has risen up to #2 in our RAC, rising over Thideras for the time being.

W2Fold, Ben! :thup:

Whether we make it to #100 today or not will depend on when Rosetta does it's last daily update. Doesn't look promising for today, mainly because my big 10 WU's have not quite finished yet. < Phooey! >

When does 4 + 3 = 6? :p

Since one of my Rosetta boxes is dedicated to this project, I thought "let's go for the bigger (1 day) Work Units".

And this is where Rosetta arithmetic goes funky. It keeps saying the WU will be completed in 6 hours. Then in 5:50, then it's back to 6:10 a little later! :)

This goes on throughout the folding process for the largest units, until finally, it reaches the *last* 5 hours of folding, and decides "OK, I'll stick with the right time to completion, now". :p

Had me going for a bit, but it's fine. The Rosetta website explains this phenomena like it's a *feature*, not a bug of any kind.

Well, that I understand - now you're talking! :clap: :clap:

Edit: After the first "odd" time arithmetic on a different sized WU, BOINC corrects itself, and does it 99% correct.

Last edited:
Thanks Adak for the Welcome! Glad to be part of the team:D

One other question, would setting my FAH client priority to "slightly higher" achieve the same results as setting the RAH client to 90% CPU usage?

I suppose I could just try it on my systems and see...;)

Thanks Adak for the Welcome! Glad to be part of the team:D

One other question, would setting my FAH client priority to "slightly higher" achieve the same results as setting the RAH client to 90% CPU usage?

I suppose I could just try it on my systems and see...;)

Some systems work OK with FAH slightly higher than "idle", but some will tend to be unresponsive.

I know that BOINC runs a tad higher than FAH, in priority, but rather than raise FAH's priority level, I'd lower BOINC's cpu usage, as Thideras recommended.

He has a lot of experience with running both, and is technically savvy, as well.

You're right about trying things out though. We have new clients for FAH, and new versions of BOINC, and your system may act a bit different, also. Always good to check it out for yourself, a bit.

Sounds good. I've been knocking around these forums for a while so I know Thiddy is Da Man!

The only reason I asked is my HTPC runs the ATI GPU2 client and as we know, ATI requires quite a bit more CPU power than nVidia. Trying to figure out the right mixture on that one is gonna require some real trial and error. Figured if I could just set FAH to slightly higher and forget it then that would be the best (i.e., easiest) solution.

It *could* be. I sure have not tried anything like that kind of setup, before.

Sounds like the easiest one to try, also. Let us know how it goes, please.

(Note that our oars are now balanced, Eaglescouter. :) )

:burn: :burn: :burn:Good news is: :burn: :burn: :burn:

*Getting work has been no problem.

*We have had our best points day since June of this year - 6,500+ points

*Our RAC is climbing nicely - over 700 points in just 2 days.

*Muddocktor will be changing some of his farm over, and may include at least one quad into his Rosetta farm. :)

*My server finally returned a whole day's worth of folding! Yeah! :clap:

<<< Bad news is: >>>

*We still need 20,000 points to get into the top 100 teams. At present, we're gaining on the #100 ranked team (Digital Darkroom) by only about 5,500 points per day.

*Our RAC is about 4,000 ppd. We'll need 10X that much to catch The Stinky Feet Fleet. (aka The Pirate Fleet)

The good news is good news.

To help help a little with the bad news,
If it's anything like SETI, it could take 4 weeks for our RAC to stabilize.
I've got more 2 quads coming to the party as soon as they finish their SETI units.

The good news is good news.

To help help a little with the bad news,
If it's anything like SETI, it could take 4 weeks for our RAC to stabilize.
I've got more 2 quads coming to the party as soon as they finish their SETI units.

That is great news, Donuts! :)

Already, I see The Stinky Feet Fleet's RAC has dropped by 10,000+ points, from over 30,000 to 21,000 points.

That seems like a large drop in less than a week's time! I'm very concerned about that. :beer: :beer: :beer: :p

We are only 12,000 points from passing up Digital Darkroom, and being in the top 100 teams!

At the rate we're going, that could happen tomorrow!!

I see lots of you guys folding like mad, here! That scamp Ben has leap-frogged over me, to take the #2 ranking in RAC, again.

Thideras and Donuts, and many others are just doing a great job! :clap:

W2Fold, guys! :)

I still need to add my P4 and laptops >.>

Been kind of busy when not at work :eek:

well i added 2 pc's to the mix, will get another box switched once its done in lattice.

well i added 2 pc's to the mix, will get another box switched once its done in lattice.

I saw your credits and thought "dayamm, that Atom is a real Rosetta buzz saw!" :eek:

:D

Thanks for the extra fire power, Evilsizer. We are VERY close to making it into the top 100 teams, and our RAC has climbed to over 5,000 now.

That puts us 130 in team ranking, according to RAC, which is a big climb up from our low spot of about 180, last week.

We're getting there! :)

I saw your credits and thought "dayamm, that Atom is a real Rosetta buzz saw!" :eek:

:D

Thanks for the extra fire power, Evilsizer. We are VERY close to making it into the top 100 teams, and our RAC has climbed to over 5,000 now.

That puts us 130 in team ranking, according to RAC, which is a big climb up from our low spot of about 180, last week.

We're getting there! :)

lol you should check out the times it was doing in lattice :eek:
of course i disabled in the lattice account from getting one type of WU, that needs lots of FPU. in a few more days expect my other 2 rigs to join rosetta, i like spreading the love! :)

We are only 12,000 points from passing up Digital Darkroom, and being in the top 100 teams!

At the rate we're going, that could happen tomorrow!!

I see lots of you guys folding like mad, here! That scamp Ben has leap-frogged over me, to take the #2 ranking in RAC, again.

Thideras and Donuts, and many others are just doing a great job! :clap:

W2Fold, guys! :)

I'm surviving, the bWo is killing me with the heat and no A/C, but the machines will stay on until the pirates be scrubbin' OCF dishes and cleaning my pipes.

We'll see if we can find a "Red Badge" (of Courage), for you, Ben!

They haven't used them since the Civil War, but you definitely deserve something for folding like this, in hot weather, with no A/C.

Meanwhile, have a cold one, on me: Cheers! :soda: or :beer:

We are now just 1,000 credits short of being in the top 100 ranked teams by Total Credit. So today is *the* day we make the page jump! :clap: :clap:

The Stinky Feet Fleet is about 100,000 credits ahead of us, so it's all hands man your boxes and fold it like you stole it. :burn: :burn:

I think I see one of their "ships":

YellowDucky.png

BOINC stats says we had our biggest credits day in the team's history, yesterday. :clap:

Blake, did you say you were going to put your quad over to Rosetta?

<< my spies are everywhere >> :D :D :D

Back