• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rosetta Status

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I was just sitting here and all the sudden I could smell burning and the card melted the solder on one of the caps, I don't know why it took out the CPU but it did, oh well, The card will be heading off before work in the morning and the CPU will placed back in the box at sit on my desk to show my children whenever I decide to have some. :D And the power supply will be sent off as well (Corsair TX650) just incase, the voltages were a little out of spec. Man, If i could have just got a screen of the temperature. It was well over 100C.

it took out the cpu because the card get supplied power from the 12v rail. if the psu has a single 12v rail then that would be your answer why it killed the cpu. As cpu's since P4 started taking power from the 12v rail instead of 5v rail like the P3's.

Was the GPU card folding a FAH GPU WU at the time?

Scary stuff and expensive, also. :(

Distance to The Pirate Fleet: 78,000+ points

>> Our RAC: 8,000+
>> TPF RAC: 21,000+

We had a *good* day today. Our RAC went over 8K for the first time ever, and we got a little closer to TPF. :)

Ben has continued pumping out points like a madman, and Donut, Evilsizer, and Sephis, have all made a nice increase in their folding production. :beer:

We have 21 teammates who are supporting us with over 100 RAC. Our RAC is still climbing, but we need to bring it up to about 40,000 - and we'll need more teammates and/or more boxes folding with us, to make that happen.

I have one more box I can add, weather permitting. I'll also be PM'ing some of our teammates with very low RAC, and see if they can be persuaded to increase their production.

I also have *such* a juicy, dirty, sleazy BOINC true tale to tell you, it will make your blood boil when you hear it. Oh! the scoundrels have been unearthed from under their rock.

You will be amazed at their dirty tricks in and with BOINC teams!

Ben has continued pumping out points like a madman

Unfortunately that must end today, I am going to turn off all of the computers immediately when I get home. Since the end of July I had turned off my entire home farm (with the exception of my Conroe-L HTPC) due to an extremely high power bill that I got in July (it was $80 more then it has ever been, even when I was running my quad and PS3 24/7). Last weekend I turned all of the computers back on due to the challenge from TPF, and yesterday I got my power bill for the period consisting of the last two weeks of July and the first two weeks of August (when all but one of my computers were turned off) and it was still $50 more then it has ever been the entire time I've lived there. :mad:

Maybe something is wrong with my meter, maybe it's just summer electricity rates, but an incredibly high power bill, (considering the size of my place) and roasting apartment temps (of which I am convinced have been making me sick nearly every morning this week and giving me trouble sleeping at night) are finally forcing me to call it quits with this and all other DC projects until further notice.

Good luck everyone!

You were perhaps the first person to respond to TPF's challenge, and I can't thank you enough, Ben.

Real life concerns must come first, however.

I hope you sleep, and feel, much better.

@ Adak: right back at ya! #1 on the team now, very nice :beer:

I've got all four of my machines up and going now so we'll see how things pan out in terms of RAC here in a couple of weeks. Though I saw your post on how RAC is calculated and I almost had a seizure. :eek:

@ BenBaked (aka BWO): Sorry to see you have to shut down. Maybe the power bill increases have to do with Puget Sound Energy upping all of our bills here as of late. (BTW, I'm in Bellevue) Sucks for all of us brother...

Last edited:
Sorry to here that Ben.
Thank-you for spearheading the charge against the Pirates. Real life comes first.

"Down with the stinky fleet guys!"

muddocktor has started a Rosetta run, upping our output to it's highest ever: 30,000+ :beer:

With this help, we are continuing to narrow the distance to The Stinky Feet Fleet! :p

Surfpunk said:
@ BenBaked (aka BWO): Sorry to see you have to shut down. Maybe the power bill increases have to do with Puget Sound Energy upping all of our bills here as of late. (BTW, I'm in Bellevue) Sucks for all of us brother...

I called up PSE at lunch to go over my charges and it looks like the cause of my high power bill was mostly related to a problem I had with my hot water heater and a leaking faucet during July. I had a slightly leaking faucet that I ignored until the sound of the leaking became really annoying. It never caused a noticeable increase to my water bill but I had never realized until a day before I told management about it that the water leaking out of the faucet was very hot!! :eek: Apparently that leak had been taxing my hot water heater. The guy at PSE said that they were getting accurate readings from my meter, and in looking at my energy usage he said that it jumped up considerably in July, during one day in late July my kWH usage was over 90 for one day, where usually it was around half that if all of my computers were running. He said for the first two weeks of August my daily kWH usage was consistently between 19 and 20, although it jumped to the high 30s when I brought the farm back online last weekend and has remained there. That's a great relief to know that it wasn't just my computers driving my power bill so high. :)

Yep, I've been having my main rig share time between Seti and Rosetta. I found my main rig totally out of Seti work when i got home from the rig Wednesday and I couldn't get it to grab any so I fired Rosetta back up on it.

We can surely use the help, muddocktor! :)

Ben, you do what you gotta, but I'm going to :welcome: you back, anyway!

I've got a 12 gauge, and if you'll just point me to the damn leaking water fixture, I'll be glad to "fix" it, proper!! :clap:

Thank you, mudddocktor!

>> Our RAC: 10,300
>> TPF RAC: 20,600

Although we were able to close some of the gap in total credits, you'll note
that our RAC is still only up to half that of The Pirate Fleet's RAC. :(

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Distance to Stinky Feet Fleet: 70,000+

Of our 29 active Rosetta teammates, only 16 now have RAC over 100.

We need more teammates! Maybe you know some BOINC user's who are looking for a new project to spice things up. Maybe someone who can't get work on their regular project, in a timely manner.

Please, steer them over to us. :soda: :soda:

Fold On!

I would think that our team 32 folders who are switching to Boinc would crunch for Rosetta since they are somewhat similar projects, but it don't seems to be the case so far. If they would we'd just fly by them!

The Rosetta team has been so quiet, for so long, lots of O/C'ers didn't even know we *had* a Rosetta team, at all.

Unfortunately, right when The Pirate Fleet team raised some interest in the team, the Rosetta assignment server had a problem, and got WAY behind. Since the people checking it out couldn't get work quickly, they just moved onto some other project.

Also, there is no forum on O/C for them, and the team Founder didn't stay around, for sure. He never folded a single Rosetta WU, because he had trouble getting work!

Those with more experience (muddocktor), have posted that getting work from Rosetta, is not a problem, usually. In fact, he moved some boxes over to Rosetta, because the SETI servers had a big problem, and he couldn't get work on SETI! :)

@Blake: I love quads! "EVGA - you can take your time fixing that card" :D :D

Last edited:
Back