• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rosetta Status

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well, here's whats going on with me.

4790 rig I'm working on is still testing. Man, when I heard they run HOT reports weren't wrong. Got Rosie loaded @4.7, temps are banging 100c and throttling. Going to back it down and see if I can control temps. Doesn't look like this rig will be online today.

FWIW, this is under water, cpu only loop. MCR320 rad, D5 vario, EKWB Supremacy EVO block.
"MAYBE" in time I'll grow a set and de-lid the chip...

Other than that, everything is running well. Happy Easter everyone!

That doesn't seem right with your temps on that chip?... Possible bad mount with your block??

My 4790K runs cooler then my 4770K but even with my 4770K I don't think I'd be running that hot or throttling running Rosetta at 4.7GHz...

[email protected] Rosetta load on an open air bench... Cooling with Corsair H110 (AIO):

Rosetta 4790K@4.5GHz.PNG

4790K@ 4.7GHz quick Rosetta load (~26min.) on open air bench... Cooling with Corsair H110 (AIO):

Rosetta 4790K@4.7GHz.PNG

I think I just picked up a used, discarded scratch off ticket in the silicone lottery. Chip did come from e-bay, so I purchased someone elses problem.

I hoped it was a bad block mount. Block was pulled, rotated 90*, re installed. TIM application looked good when I pulled it...
Temps were still high. Didn't matter if pump was on 3 or 5.

Chip is one of the higher Vid chips, 1.248v stock. Working at it through the day, backed off the OC to 4.5 and voltage is down to 1.214.
Temps do look better though, 4 hrs into a prime "blend" run, 89c was the highest core recorded.

Honestly, right now I think I'm happier with the 3930k system, 6 cores, HT, cooler temps. Down side, socket 2011.
PR, thank you for posting up your thoughts, I believe it was one of your previous posts that made me shoot for 4.7.

Well, here's whats going on with me.

... Happy Easter everyone!
I'm slacking. I finished up all of the work on my 'power house' laptop. My main rig is crunching FAH. I do have three threads of Rosie on my (J1900) NAS. I've also snuck into SWMBO's laptop and am running a couple threads. She's sitting right next to me and has no idea I'm logged into her machine and at the moment updating 77 packages. And crunching some Rosetta. :D

Happy Easter to all!

lol HankB
I remember a conversation with my wife years ago. She asked what the icons were in the toolbar on her desktop. I emphatically told her "don't touch"! She chuckled and didn't question it. (had 4-6 more rigs folding in upstairs room)
She asked again later (with a smile.) and I told her that for what she does on the computer, a 10yr old laptop would work. She didn't "need" a watercooled quad core...

Well, it's Saturday. What's Donut up to now?:eek:
Little H55 board is now under water (in series with the 6790k block) running temps dropped 10c, but I don't believe I'll push the OC any further. Was running into low 70's on air.
I've got to think, with summer approaching, of controlling heat. Trailer I live in has hit over 80f during the day and that's with the AC running, plus I still have 2 air cooled rigs in the same room. I "may" have to shut some down due to power requirements. My light bill is currently running as high as it's ever been, even in the heat of summer. (fwiw, landlord has checked the AC unit for proper operation. All check out, and he's an HVAC guy...)

I'm still considering a de-lid for the 6790k. I forgot to mention, in addition to the high overall temps, that I do have as much as a 10c difference in the individual cores. 5-8c is average, though I have seen 12c. It acts like heat can't get out for the WB to remove it.

I REALLY should upgrade my sig, 2 of those rigs have been upgraded and there's still 2 more not listed. :-/

I'm back, for now. I got the load stability issues resolved on my Y50. It ran 8 threads of Rosetta overnight w/out any problems. The solution seems to be Manjaro Linux. It solves two problems I wasn't able to resolve using Debian derivatives. First, it is stable under load. Second, it keeps the processors cranked up. For reasons I did not understand the Debian distros cranked the processor down to ~700 MHz with Rosetta crunching on all cores. Aside from dragging out WUs the UI became really sluggish. :( I tried newer kernels and that made no difference so it had to be some user space difference. Under Manjaro the laptop ran for hours with 8 threads of Prime95 going and since yesterday afternoon with 8 threads of Rosetta crunching. Processor speed remains at 2.7GHz. Temp was up to about 85°C on Prime95 but settles in the mid 60s on Rosetta. Either way it's quite the lap warmer!

Once the weather warms, I'll have to back off. I do not mind supplementing the heat with a little electricity but I don;t want to be battling the A/C. ;)

Sounds similar to my memory leak problem. Not installing updates on the 4p solved that, though the updates were installed on the 2p and no issues with that one. I guess chalk it up to "it's Linux"...

At my house, I'm already battling the AC. I just have to decide when to throw in the towel. In the meantime, added another gpu to the folding side with yet another gpu in a couple days, if I can find that copy of Windows 7...

Glad your back and got it figured out. Hit the ground running when the weather cools back off.

Not a good status update. Rigs are down, appears I cooked another power strip and no spare...
Managed to get one up and running, so the wall outlet is still good.

Maybe I shouldn't have added that R9 290 to fold with...

Today's the 7th. Think I'll do a little update.
One powerstrip has been replaced and 4 Rosie rigs up and running. Second powerstrip is also dead and that's the one my desktop rigs were on. Hopefully, they'll be running shortly. Think there was a power blip and that took out the oldest 2 surge protectors.
I did find out that the 290 folding was too much. I popped the circuit breaker. Oops. Told you I was maxed out on that circuit, this was after the new power strip...

4/9/16 update.
1 desktop up and running. 2nd, not so much. I thought when I moved, all powerstrips that weren't surge protectors were trashed. Appears the 2nd powerstrip was NOT surge protected and psu on 2nd desktop is gone. I tried to jump it and nothing. I know it's getting power to the unit... later, I'll pull a known working psu and check.

Last edited:
Went further with testing on second desktop. Good psu won't boot it. Was able to jump old psu. Think board waved bye-bye. I'll pull the board out and see if it'll boot. Fairly sure I've got another AMD board here...

Let's sing, "wheels on the bus go round and round..." "POW!!", fap, fap, fap, fap...

These are the wheels coming off donut's little red wagon. :rain::blah:

Quad getting flaky again, shuts itself off during the day, memory leak may be showing it's face again, also showing an "error" on boot. I think (hope) it's just time for a re-load of the OS. HDD is only a couple mos. old, I did purchase it new and disk still checks out OK.

FX8320e--That rig is at stock speed, mosfets were getting too hot and throttling at any OC.

Little Giga H55 board waved bye-bye. My own fault and would be funny if it didn't cost :facepalm:... Bet it looked funny when it happened.
Got all the parts for a WC loop of it's own, put together, leak tested... fired it up. (I had moved this to the living room to get it off the other electrical circuit.)
Went to top off the water as fill was a little ways from all the electronics. One of my cats jumped up on the desk, I hollered, he nudged the radiator as he jumped down. Radiator starting falling off the desk, pulling the running board with it. I quickly grabbed the rig and in the process splashed water onto said running board. Board immediately went into reboot loops. I pulled the power, but too late. I did pull everything I could off and blew it out with compressed air, let it sit for a few days, tried it today, NADA.

Yes and no. Juggling half a dozen rigs, parts die. Make matters worse is the rigs are mostly other folks spare/used parts. I was just thinking the Quad was a new build, not even that one. Procs. were from flea-bay, psu from the classies.

One of these days I'll build something new, in the meantime, keeping them running is half the battle (or fun, if your into that kind of thing)
For me, it's a challenge and learning experience.

New week, new update.

4790 down. Maybe de-lid time, maybe reload OS and go. Don't know yet. This was planned.
4p in Rosie "time out". Checked on it yesterday a.m. and had a bunch of "computation errors", units failing within 1-2 seconds. Available work for this rig ran out yesterday. Rosie/BOINC must have decided machine was unstable and thus "time out". After a day and a half, finally have some work. 14 units, whoopee!. Pegs my machine at a whopping 25% cpu usage. Maybe when these are done, I can get more.

Could this really be a Baditude plan to slow me down from reaching 10 million? Hmmm. :D (jk)

1:00 edit, 4p fully loaded and running. Todays count. 4p, 2p, 2 desktop rigs. Any more are either shut down or blowed up. (yes, grammar police I know it's "blown" up)

Last edited:
I'll give an update, but it seems most folks would prefer that I just shuddap and crunch. :p

Today I'm fighting a cold. Took the day off work so I could relax and hopefully feel better.
Got an AMD board on my wishlist @ Newegg, though haven't pulled the trigger on it yet... (for the FX8320e)
Have a "wanted" post in the classies for a board for the i7-870, also looking to price out another used 4p system, if anybody wants to sell theirs. (I know there are a few around the forums.)

So, enough about my virtual shopping.

What's up with the team?:) Hope everyone is well.

Oh, edit time. The 4790 did go under the knife last weekend. Temps are better. I did notice the IHS was very concave, little flatter now also. Wish I could find my finer grits of sandpaper...

Things area all good here. Just crunching away and enjoying the great weather we've been having up here.

Well new week.
Board showed up for the 8320e now the water pump is failing, new pump will be ordered at some point.
Power bill also showed up. Ouch! highest it's ever been. (even in August with the AC trying to keep up)

Some, if not most of the rigs will be shut down for the summer. Temps are already in the 80's here.
4p definitely on the list as it makes a much better heater. Consequently production will tank.
1 folding gpu already shut down.

4p and 2p, ticked no new work. So I'll just let them run out.

Last edited:
4p and 2p systems get different wu's? im shocked my rac has picked up as fast as it has, already over 1.2k rac. wonder where that rig will top out at..

why not make some summer workers? they would be cheap $40ish a pop include everything minus the SD card and OS. you know you way around linux though or you should be able to download andriod OS to use.
http://www.hardkernel.com/main/products/prdt_info.php?g_code=G145457216438
i had considered buying a few to mess with in general and to use for rosie. i mean you could have a lot of them running and prolly not put out near the heat as a single cpu system.

Naw, the 4p and 2p get the same work. On an off note, I have noticed wu's that have an 8 hr runtime.
I'll keep at least 1 rig crunching, though output will be way down.
I do have a board and proc inbound and now have time to dial in the 8 core AMD. I'm running out of room for any more hardware, lol.

Gotta fly, late for work.

If I put a guess on it, your rig should top out 5-6k.

Don't know if anyone noticed yet, but all rigs shut down. I'll be back when the temperatures drop. I will have my 3930k rig crunching, but currently it's running "prime". O.C. became unstable when I changed out the video card.

There will be a couple changes to my line-up. Little H55/i870 combo has been replaced. Got a nice Maximus VII Hero combo sitting here.
8320e has a new board. I'll get it ready by fall, now it needs a new water pump. (pump runs fine, as long as I beat it with my Maglight to jumpstart it.) Oh, 4p has a cousin coming to stay. Just picked up another 4p (48 core) from the classies.
The challenge is going to be balancing the power as to not pop a breaker.

Back