• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rosetta Status

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Got ram and other stuff today...

FWIW, this is not a new cutting edge build but more like revisiting multi proc systems. Folders have/had similar systems running since 2012.
What I'm looking at is a 4p system. Supermicro board on order, 4-6276 Opterons (2.3 ghz 16 cores), 4 heatsinks, PSU (thanks OW), got 32gb ram that showed up, but I may have to re-think the amount.

Sold my last 2p system back in '07?

Woo Hoo, new page. Last one was over a year old.

Last edited:
Well, been running for a couple of days, man does this thing throw some heat!
Just ordered ram. 32gb not enough. Returning what I have and getting 64gb. Got some cores sitting idle waiting for memory...

All ram slots full, so got to order new kit. Newegg did let me RMA the 32gb (for a small fee).

Hey ben, was thinking of you when I found a cheesy poof launcher in my spare parts.:D

I'm trying to to keep it kicking. Had to knock down a few cobwebs before I resurrected it though. :rolleyes:
Guess other folks have a life...

Hey ben, was thinking of you when I found a cheesy poof launcher in my spare parts.:D

I'm trying to to keep it kicking. Had to knock down a few cobwebs before I resurrected it though. :rolleyes:
Guess other folks have a life...

I'm afraid to say that I had forgotten about it, no-fun mods might try to close it just because it's so old, but the history is so rich and it's still relevant, it must never die! I've started my most powerful system back up with Rosetta to get my RAC going again. We should get another contest going soon, get the team motivated now that the weather temps are dropping. A mid-November Rosey contest? Or perhaps we should go harass/challenge another team to a race, like the Pirate Fleet did to us years ago? :D

Ok, well update time. New rig back up and running, open the BOINC manager and I don't have any "waiting to run". Woo-Hoo!

Now if I could figure out the configuration of the Vid card for SETI... (or how I did it years ago. Video will do Seti, cpu Rosie.) Main rig is set up like that now. But it's an old configuration, and I don't remember... hey at least I remembered my BOINC logins.
Curently waiting on a KVM switch, GTX980 off another forum, and a PSU. Main rig psu starting to get "flaky".

You posted while I was typing. I did read the beginning of this thread, it did bring a smile to my face.
Bad mentioned a contest also...
Personally I'm trying to judge how many active members are around.

Figured out SETI, look on SETI site for preferences dumbxxx. Now if Ubuntu box will get SETI units... What a pain to try to configure.
Main rig may get a mobo change, got a ud3p in spare parts. Graphics on the ud3r are getting flaky. Might be a psu going south or board. New board in spare parts, psu incoming. I can run a fairly low powered card in it. but when I tried the R9 280, it beeped with a power problem.

Back is acting up, hence posting during the day.

It's been a few days, main rig still down. Got boards swapped, the UD3P doesn't seem to clock as well. Only got 3.9ghz at higher voltages. :-/ (better change my sig, again..)
Naturally, board change so Windows is balking. Guess I better buy another copy. (just finished PRIME, fired Rosie back up.)

Decided to use the AMD rig to power a couple video cards for SETI... 1-6pin pcie power connector is not going to cut it, repeat business for OW...
During the last hour of prime, noticed temps rising. One of my 3 radiator fans wasn't spinning, guess I better replace them also, will it end??? :-/

So, what's everybody up to?

Last edited:
Nice! Just when I thought I may match you in output. NOT. Lol.
Another reason to put my antiques out to pasture.

Latest in the saga.
AMD quad that is going gpu SETI, is going back on air. Currently it's watercooled along with my main. Pump and tubing in the way of the vid cards, plus need the extra airflow with the GPUs. It's an old Centurion 5 case, not the biggest or with the best airflow. (may go caseless??)
4p rig MAY be going down. (RMA?) Seems I have 2 ram slots dead. I did contact the merchant, waiting to hear back. Nothing is going to happen until the weekend anyway. Did test last night and identified the 2 slots (out of 16)

Let me know if you need parts brother. I have a bunch of stuff here gathering dust that could be put to much better use and might be able to help you out.
Could send to you for the cost of shipping. PM Me.

Well, other than spamming about my trivial problems...

ben, hope I didn't kick up too much dust when I passed.

Baditude, I should be showing up on your threat radar, though like 6 1/2 mos out.

PolRoger, not nearly enough to match your output. Unless I win the lottery or find a money tree in blossom, think I'll just hang here. Maybe if I place a small nuclear reactor in the back yard... IKEA sells a kit for them right?

Well, eventually the Super Micro is going into the shop, Just got off the phone with the RMA dept. and filled out the online form. (finally remembered to do it) Good part is that it's only going to the west coast.
To help offset the ppd loss, I have a dual 6 core AMD system on it's way (forum purchase)

Antiques still kicking.. though maybe not as efficiently. (Old age will do that.):D

Got to fix signature....

Whoa! Look at our team go! We haven't been in or near the top 10 in a long time!
Thanks to all who have brought new powah online!

Thanks ben,

Well, RMA approved. They also approved cross-shipping. Actually kinda bittersweet as if I do that I have to wait till payday. C'est la vie.
(hope that's correct. For a 50 yr old trying to remember high school french...)

I can run Rosie without those ram slots. Though in my mind, re-sale value would be slashed (fwiw, board cost more than my rent.)

And Bad, if I had stuck around instead of disappearing for 5 years... LOT of catching up to do.

Today's update: Dual AMD 6 core rig running, though the passive heatsinks and 1.6 clockspeed may not be long for my world. So far the 120mm fan propped across the heatsinks appears to be good enough. Quad got new/used psu. Old main rig getting fresh copy of Windows now.

I may need an intervention...Not only have I purchased a ton of hardware lately, but it seems I'm subconsciously going AMD.
Dual, Quad, Wife's retired desktop and old laptop AMD. Only Intel is my old desktop... Most AMD stuff in my house since the Athlon XP days. (heck, most computer hardware in my house since before I moved)

At least my ramblings are Rosie related. Not like I'm posting pics of my lunch...

Ok, my production's tanking. 4p board shipped out this morning.
Won't make much of a dent in that loss, but procs in dually upgraded from 1.8ghz to 2.8 along with a couple Hyper 212's. Pretty sure the passsive heatsinks wouldn't take the heat from a 105w chip.

Well 4p board back, they didn't find an issue... figures, paid 50 bucks so the board could go on vacation. Or 50 bux for a Supermicro box...
(50.00 was shipping and insurance)

Won't get to test until the weekend, however, warm fuzzy has left the building. Not holding high hopes.
This is only the 2nd motherboard I've ever returned. 1st was an Asus and it got swapped.
Can't afford to go round and round with SM.
If the slots are in fact dead, may have to go searching for the overclocking bios for this board.

Back