• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Norton upgrade goes south

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mrgreenjeans

I was upgrading Norton Internet Security 07 to 08 and had rebooted once as the installation prompts, and thought installation had competed. I ran JV16 registry cleaner to clean up the remnants of the installation, did a back up of the changes which errored out. That was the first clue, however, when I hit reboot, Norton flashed up a couple of quick screens saying installation upgrade not complete and would need a reboot. :confused: windows was already in shut down mode and on restart, Norton, never came up and Windows would get about half way through initialization and lock up. Freeze. Done. I tried several times to reboot but same result. I did notice that Norton, normally one of the first processes to load was non existent.
I finally got booted into a functional 'safe mode' and rolled back to an earlier system restore point and was able to boot fully back into windows. However, when i went into JV16's restore option, the file from the previous clean was non-existent(?) so I couldn't restore the registry entries I 'cleaned' up. Unfortunately, Norton is still non-existent and I am unable to hit the network at all. Internet connection says a connection's been made, but can't 'talk'. Norton is listed as installed program but will not launch, and will not allow itself to be uninstalled either (it shows under add/remove programs but errors out when initiated). I've tried to reinstall Norton and the installation errors out saying it can't remove the previous version. I used Windows Defender and removed start up entries with Norton/Symantec markers and still no go.
any ideas on how to get my internet back? I've done everything I know to set up new networks, establish new connections, etc. Am i down to a new install? Any suggestions?

why i dont like registry cleaners for one

2nd, why i don't like Norton products anymore, i have had many go bad on me, you do an update and it fubars everything.

uninstall and reinstall your network card

go into control panel / administrative tools / services and disable anything norton related.

sinec you cant uninstall the program properly, in safe mode go into the c:program files - norton folder and see if there is an uninstall.exe - if not, manually delete the folder from program files.

short of that, reformat and stop using norton :)

I can't blame the registry cleaner for my screw up. However, I will try the uninstall from safe mode. I've already disabled all Symantec components from the start up menu.

Other than this problem, I've had very few issues with Norton and the new network console in '08 is really helpful when configuring a network. I had already performed this update on my other two computers. Probably why I got in a hurry.

why i dont like registry cleaners for one

2nd, why i don't like Norton products anymore, i have had many go bad on me, you do an update and it fubars everything.

uninstall and reinstall your network card

go into control panel / administrative tools / services and disable anything norton related.

sinec you cant uninstall the program properly, in safe mode go into the c:program files - norton folder and see if there is an uninstall.exe - if not, manually delete the folder from program files.

short of that, reformat and stop using norton :)

Just for info, none of the above worked. I also used the cleaner to try and remove the symantec entries from the registry and it still won't uninstall or install. The network card says connection's made and the computer is assigned an IP from the router, but under the 1394 connection, it does not allow packets and when I try to 'repair' it says 'TC/IP not installed for this connection' although the properties page says it is.

I'm studying up on nLite to learn how to slipstream the RAID drivers in my install protocol so I won't have to scavenge up the old floppy drive. Either that or a new harddrive and use just one of the raptors for the OS. between work and school, the reinstall might have to wait a bit, although not having the internet on the HTPC is real pain. Meanwhile I"ll just have to be content playing Crysis and Oblivion.:)

dam!!

ummmmmm

1394 is firewire, it shouldn't be used for internet? do you have anything firewire connected to it?

you should be using the network cards called local area connection..

Networking over firewire can be done (and is pretty handy to!). It'll show up even when nothing is plugged in.

It sounds like Norton tried to replace part of Window's networking layer and failed. I would suggest, before reinstalling the whole OS, that you try reinstalling whatever Service pack you're running. That's fixed many "broken" Windows installations in my experience.

That said, stick with something like AVG Antivirus, PC-Cillin, or basically anything less invasive than Norton. If you want something with extra wiz bang features, McAfee has lots of them.

Really, good habits + Spybot S&D, Ad Aware, a lightweight antivirus (like AVG Free or Pro), and not over-tweaking your system will result in much better results.

I know a lot of people who try to deep clean their registry, turn off "unnecessary" services (which is simply dumb because with the exception of the Messenger service, all of them are either necessary or turned off because nothing is using them at that moment), and do a lot of other things that just screw up their systems. You wouldn't believe how many times I'm called in to fix these people's computers because they turn off the Installer service or the Wireless Zero Config service or the IMAPI CD burning, or Plug and Play etc etc etc and wonder why nothing is working for them! .... People just need to stop while they're ahead.

Either way, I hope your system is up and running sooner rather than later.

Service pack trick was a no go. No network. I guess we're in for a reinstall. It's overdue but a real pain in the butt. I want a slow day so I don't feel rushed in doing it and with my current schedule it could be awhile.

Thanks for al the suggestions though.

I hate to be unhelpful and say stop using that product but I have to agree with the others. Symantec's products are simply aweful. They used to be a superb company with a light weight product but now their products are bloated and tend to take over your PC.

I would just use AVG or Avast, maybe spybot and windows firewall.

I agree with all those so far about Nortons. I gave them up back during the 98SE days and never looked back. Plenty of better, lightweight products out there available for much less, and less invasive to the system.

Did I mention thier better then Nortons?

Just for info, none of the above worked. I also used the cleaner to try and remove the symantec entries from the registry and it still won't uninstall or install. The network card says connection's made and the computer is assigned an IP from the router, but under the 1394 connection, it does not allow packets and when I try to 'repair' it says 'TC/IP not installed for this connection' although the properties page says it is.

I'm studying up on nLite to learn how to slipstream the RAID drivers in my install protocol so I won't have to scavenge up the old floppy drive. Either that or a new harddrive and use just one of the raptors for the OS. between work and school, the reinstall might have to wait a bit, although not having the internet on the HTPC is real pain. Meanwhile I"ll just have to be content playing Crysis and Oblivion.:)
So the TCP/IP was checked. Did you try hitting the install button? Was the QoS packet installed?
When you double click the TCP/IP, on general is the Obtain ip address automatically radio button ticked, if so did you tick the other and then retick the first?
I have had some success on laptops like this.

I hate to be unhelpful and say stop using that product but I have to agree with the others. Symantec's products are simply aweful. They used to be a superb company with a light weight product but now their products are bloated and tend to take over your PC.

I would just use AVG or Avast, maybe spybot and windows firewall.

+1 !!

Back