• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rosetta: Tale of a BOINC Scoundrel Part 1

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Adak

We'll take this slow, because:

1) You can't believe it's true, and 2) It's too rich to digest, all at once. 3) It covers one thread with 167 posts in it, and several links to still other threads. :eek:

This is the Reader's Digest Version.

There were some cads on the Czech Boinc Team who wanted to get a *LOT* of credits, without doing all that crunching/folding, computer work.

They found and exploited a weakness in the way that BOINC is run, administratively. Specifically, they learned that the Founder of the team, has a lot of power:

1) He can kick anyone off the team he wants to, no reason needed
2) He can re-name the team
3) He can close a team down
4) He can transfer the credits from one team, to another team.

And Barbar and some buds, (the scoundrels), knew how to become the founder of a lot of teams - just initiate a founder change, and if the current founder doesn't refuse it within 60 days, then he could become the new founder!!

There are *hundreds* of BOINC teams with an inactive founder, and Barbar made up long lists of them, and joined them. Shortly thereafter, he put in a request to be the new Founder of that team. You can get a better idea by viewing his website for BOINC:

http://www.barbaruv.czeweb.cz/boinc.php

He then kicked off the other members (who might otherwise object), and took those team's credits/points, and had them transferred to one of his "root" teams he had set up to receive them, without looking suspicious. Eventually, the points wound up generally, in his BOINC team, "Space Family".

In this way they legally "acquired" many millions of points/credits! People who had been working with BOINC projects for years, suddenly found their teams, completely missing or re-named, and they weren't even members any more.

One team of Barbar's, went from 3 million credits to over 25 million credits, in one month, using this technique.
chart_uk_bo_object_month_teams_1546.jpg

This is the thread on Rosetta's board, but Barbar was active across a large number of BOINC projects, so there are several other threads:

http://boinc.bakerlab.org/rosetta/forum_thread.php?id=4238

Having read through this long thread, I realized *our* Rosetta team, like the Teddies, had an inactive founder. He never folded a single WU, in fact!

I have put in a request to become the Overclocker's.com team founder. First, to prevent the kind of team theft that the Teddies had, and second, to see if we can't get more enthusiasm and growth in our Rosetta team.

P.S. The Teddies team has since been restored. The ability to manipulate teams and points within BOINC, has only partially been addressed.

Last edited:
I think I started to read about this when I signed up for Rosetta, didn't the Teddies loose like 6 MILLION points? I couldn't believe it when I read it. Adak, I'm glad you put in for the founder change.

They didn't actually lose their points, because the points do two things:

1) They stay with the team they were earned with.
2) They ALSO go with you when you change teams.

If this were money, you'd be arrested for counterfeiting, and causing inflation on a grand scale. Not here, though.

What the Teddies lost was a whole damn TEAM. So they had their points, but couldn't see them listed - *anywhere*, and thought they'd lost them all.

Damn, this is fricken unbelievable. I'm glad you went to change the Rosetta Team founder over to yourself, Adak. At least we will have someone that's active on the forums as founder.

And that's the dark side of a points system. It never ceases to amaze me how wrapped up in points people get. Are they great for fostering competition which in turn bolsters participation in a project? You bet. Is it worth your integrity to obtain something so fictitious? Hardly. People, the points aren't real, you're not really earning anything other than bragging rights. And guess what, we'll find out if you didn't EARN those points then what will you have to brag about? Sheesh. :(

wow im surprised nobody caught on to this sooner, or did they? that increase in points in one month is insane

"Barbar" and "Roman", etc., were usually more subtle than in this instance. Nobody caught on earlier, as far as I can tell.

So what are the people who can do anything about it doing with these idiots?

Oddly, the teams themselves wanted the founders to be able to boot people out of their teams. One example was a german team, who found out one of their members was a Nazi sympathizer, who was using the team's forum to propagandize all the time. :eek:

For a temporary "band-aid", certain founder administrative rights were disabled, while the BOINC team gets input from BOINC users, and studies the matter.

The Teddies were restored, other teams that request it will be restored as well.

If the credits were worth $$$, there'd be an easy answer, but they're just for bragging rights, so BOINC user's like these rules being "loose".

Right now, I'm not sure if you could acquire points this way or not. My intentions were to finish reading up on this topic on BOINC's forum, but the Rosetta thread on this was 167 posts, so I haven't gotten very far on BOINC's, yet. :bang head

Back