• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cheapskate needs help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jighead47

Registered
Built new system - ecs-k7s5a (I know, not great for overclk), duron 950, new case, robbed the drives from old system. About ready to O/C, but before I do I'm looking to build a system for my daughter - just bought used soyo ATX mobo with a K-6 400. Hoping that I can use old AT case and PSU. Soyo MB doesn't have AT interface.
FYI - searched quite a bit for info on mixing ATX MB with AT PSU and all I can find is reccomendations to buy new power supply. Would like to mod old case to make it look cool for her, hoping to use old power supply to save $.

My question is, is there an adapter or a way to rig an AT psu into an ATX mb?

Thanks, Nick

Sorry Nick, I've never seen it done, and don't think it could be. Some of the wiring in the plug in comes from places other than harddrive power inside the psu.
My best advice would be to shop around, a stock (lower power) system like that could use a very small supply which has fallan by the wayside with the power hungry athlons. A 250 watter would probably work fine, and cost little. You could even try a school nearby or a shop with old parts. It really should be cheaper than the ones required on our rigs.

Happy hunting friend.

I have seen the converter from the AT to the ATX. I dont remember whee I saw it, but I know its out there. If I find out where I saw it ill post for you Sorry

unfortunetly a convertor would be unrealitic cause and at psu is turned on from a toggle switch where as a atx it turned on by a momentary contact button that passes through your motherboard.

If you can get ahold of an ATX PSU, that's 99% of the battle. (well, maybe 95...lol) As was mentioned, you won't need a heavy duty one...250W should work just fine, for this app. Call a couple of local repair guys...they might have one for short $$, or you could post an Ad in the "Wanted" section of our Classifieds....=)

I just converted an AT to ATX myself...I had a ATX 300WPSU handy, from when I upgraded the PSU in my full tower to a 400W job...

For the power switch, ashcan the AT one....got to Rad Shack, and look for P/N 275-646, SPST Momentary Pushbutton Switch.

If the hole in your case for the AT power switch is the same is mine, you''ll only have to enlarge it slightly (make the round hole slightly larger) to get this switch to drop right in. Its "short" enough, that I was able to retain the original exterior power button, and works perfectly. I took a pair of needle nose pliers, and just pushed it into the switch hole, and pushed/turned for a couple of minutes....this "reamed" the hole that 1/64th of an inch or so larger, so the switch fit the hole....

The bugger of this...you'll need to get ahold of a lead to solder onto the switch, to plug into the mobo. I found an old i486 rig in the trash one day, and something told me to cut all of the leads off of the IDE/Power LEDS, speaker, etc... I used the lead I cut (used to be the "reset" lead) from the i486, and it works flawlessly.

Good luck! ;)

**edit**....You do realize, you're going to have to mod the back of the case, to make room for the I/O ports of the ATX board, right? Bid difference between the two....some cutting is required, to get that to work.

Last edited:
Back