• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best strip size for raid0 gaming drive?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PearlJammzz

I am sure this has been answered before, but at work the damn search functionality is blocked :-\.

I am going after my first raid0 array and it will have the OS + games on it. All storage data, mp3's, movies, etc. will be on another HDD. This is being done w/ 2 velociraptor 300's (not sure if different drives do better/worse at different stripe sizes...)

WHat do you recommend? I have done some googling to the few sites I can get to here at work and everyone seems to suggest 64-128k. Since games are a lot bigger than they were 4 or so years ago (all the threads I found on this were old for some reason¿) I am leaning towards 128k. That should make my OS nt a WHOLE lot faster over a single drive but should make my games quite a bit speedier.

What do you all recommend? Bigger? Smaller? Thanks!:beer:

I've never seen stripe size have a real world affect on any program usage at all and I've tested/timed this over many RAID0 arrays. I think the typical 64K default is a good balance.

Well, turns out my raid controller on my Asus Rampage Formula only lets me go to 128k, so I am going to select that I guess lol.

HUGE difference between 128 and 256 with that link th3! Wonder if that is the same for real-life tests vs these synthetic tests...

Back