• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rosetta: Getting Started

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Adak

To Join the Rosetta Overclockers.com Team

For Windows:

If you need the BOINC Manager, d/l it from https://boinc.berkeley.edu/download.php and save it to your hard drive. Then double-click it to uncompress and install it on your system.

The latest version of BOINC Manager will start the Attachment Wizard, as soon as it has finished its own installation. Select Rosetta@home from the list of projects that it gives you. Click on either "New User" or "Already joined", and fill in your email address and password you want to use.

Rosetta uses your email address and Rosetta password for your identification, only. It will not send you any spam. For options like "preferred time", and such, I recommend the defaults. They can all be adjusted later, as you wish.

Go to this webpage: https://boinc.bakerlab.org/rosetta/team_display.php?teamid=230 and click on "Join this Team".

In a few minutes, you'll see Rosetta work units downloading to your BOINC Manager. Your work units are sized to fit your preferences and your individual system. Don't be surprised if it takes a while to get them made up and downloaded to your system. Be patient. For the first time download of work, it's normal.

For Linux(Ubuntu):
  • Click on the "Applications" tab.
  • Click on the "Terminal Window" application.
  • Enter "sudo apt-get update". You may need to enter your username and password, now.
  • Enter "sudo apt-get install boinc-client boinc-manager". You may need to enter your username and password, again. Your BOINC icon will appear inside either your desktop, or your home directory.
    • You can also use Synaptic Package Manager to download the BOINC client and BOINC manager.
    • If you don't see the BOINC icon in your desktop or home directory, look in "Applications" >> "System Tools".
  • Follow the rest of the instructions for Windows, above.
Main Page for Rosetta: https://boinc.bakerlab.org/rosetta/

Rosetta Team Stats

For Linux With a Command Line Interface, only:

Please refer to this tutorial: http://www.spy-hill.net/~myers/help/boinc/unix.html

Thanks to Flexy for info on the Linux install.

Last edited by a moderator:
For Linux(Ubuntu):

On Ubuntu and all its flavors you can either use Synaptic Package Manager to download boinc-client and boinc-manager or in terminal do a 'sudo apt-get update' and then 'sudo apt-get install boinc-client boinc-manager'.

Once those are installed you'll have an icon under Applications > System Tools (IIRC) and BOINC Manager will be under that. Click on that and follow the Wizard as per Adak's instructions.

One neat thing newcomers to BOINC may not be aware of is that you can control your machine(s) BOINC preferences from the web through your BOINC account.

When you login, click on the "Computing preferences" link and you'll see a screen with BOINC preferences for all computers having no location assigned (Primary/default) and for the location sets of Home, Work, and School. Click the "Edit preferences" link for any of the four sets to change their settings. You can assign any of your computers to one of the three location sets by clicking on the numbered computer ID link on the "Your Computers" page. On the "Computer summary" page, change your location to whichever set of preferences you wish (Home/Work/School, or keep it at none "---" and it will use your "Primary/default" preferences) and then click the "Update" button to take effect.

In the past two weeks there has been a couple of instances where the work servers have quit delivering work for a few hours, so it's probably a good idea to set all of your computers to maintain enough work for an additional 10 days. :p

Additionally you can customize a computer's BOINC preferences locally through the BOINC Manager and it will override your web-based settings for that computer, unless you click the "Clear" button at the top of the BOINC Manager - Preferences dialog box.

Flexy, thanks for writing that up. I put BOINC up on two Ubuntu boxes, but it was 10 months ago, and I just couldn't remember all the details.

Just joined, client was super easy to setup and my username wasn't taken yet! :D

Ghetto 3.4GHz dual core crunching for the team!

No worries. The only installs I have done were on (K)Ubuntu. Glad to contribute.

this thread would be perfect for a sticky, to replace this sticky
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=446750
now Adak just add that info from there to this one and lets bug some mods!!!!!

I read that sticky, and wasn't real jazzed with it:

*it's too wordy.

*it includes a lot of info that is 1) now outdated, and 2) is included with BOINC anyway, so it's redundant. (like the projects list).

*The format is essay, and I don't like essay format. Reading comprehension has really sunk to the lowest common denominator on internet forums, where English may not even be the reader's first language.

I want it Step: 1...2...3... simple, concise, exact.

I *don't* want to dis SunRedRX7's work however. There was a time when essay style was great - but that time has passed, imo.

I'm very fussy about how sticky's should be written. Just ask Harlam!! :) :) I proofed his Sticky Redux, and I believe he was about ready to shoot me after the first time I did it. :D :D

Just want to point out that the howto on Spy-Hill.net linked in the opening post is only kinda for CLI environments... their instructions for attaching to a project is still from a GUI.

I may write up some basic CLI-only instructions for getting Rosetta working... if there's a demand for it...

Last edited:
This is my working page for an invitation to join us, so I can see what the final result (with bb code), will look like.

My name is Adak, and I'd like to invite you to join our Overclockers.com Rosetta team.

We provide computer power for the Rosetta project at the University of Washington. There, Dr. Baker and his colleagues, are studying the shape of human proteins.

Why? Because everything from our hair to our heart, is made from protein, but any mis-shaped protein can't work. It's like a square tire - all the material is there - it just won't work, because it has the wrong shape for it's function.

While the scientists benefit from this important research, we have fun working as a team and as individuals, competing for points. :cool:

Currently, our small team is on the move, and recruiting, also. Interested? Intrigued?

You are now invited! :)

Please join us in this vital medical research. Data from projects like this are used for nearly every drug, vaccine, therapy, or cure. It's that important.

We aren't looking for E.T., we're looking for the info to help us beat our most serious diseases: Cancer, Alzheimer, Muscular Dystrophy, ALS, etc.

We use the "Other DC Projects" forum, and generally put "Rosetta", somewhere in the title of the thread. Like this one: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=574313

Adak

Last edited:
im having two problems. one, i cant get my desktop to join the overclockers.com team for rosetta. my other problem, i cant get my boinc manager on my laptop to add any projects. the laptop is running Fedora 13. someone please help.

im having two problems. one, i cant get my desktop to join the overclockers.com team for rosetta. my other problem, i cant get my boinc manager on my laptop to add any projects. the laptop is running Fedora 13. someone please help.

What is the error message you are getting on both? Yesterday I was having an error connecting to the client with BOINC on one of my machines just out of the blue, it had been working fine for months previous. An uninstall/reinstall of BOINC fixed that issue so if you haven't tried that yet, give it a try.

oke i joined the Rosetta Team , first 2 transfers downloaded but thats it , after they downloaded they just vanished and there is nothing .........

Capture131.jpg

under tasks and transfers in nothing silts any ideas ?

Im joining the team I just have one question I am really confused what is Credit. On their website I see how you get it I just don't see what its used for and can't find out anything else about it? I see that their a non profit company so I doubt its to pay us. Can some one please put some insight to this?

You can scratch this last post I found the answer finaly lol.

Last edited:
Yeahh buddy. I'm with you guys! Hopefully my server can handle this among everything else :)

Back