Vista on a Old Computer

Just thought some of you may be interested in how Vista performs on an older computer. I was skeptical of all of the complaints about Vista not being able to run on old hardware. I took my old Poweredge SC400 and upgraded to Vista Enterprise. Here are the Specs:

2.4 Ghz P4 (Pre-HT, no EMT64)
    640 MB ram
    Radeon 9250 256 MB PCI GPU
    2 40GB x 5400 RPM IDE HDs (no raid)
    CD Rom Drive (no-DVD drive)

About three weeks ago I noticed Technet had Vista on CD so I figured I'd give it a shot. I was running XP on the box previously and everything was running fine. Fairly quick too for a non-gaming machine. I chose to install the Vista 32 bit Enterprise build which I think is pretty much equivalent to Vista Business. The install went fine and Vista recognized all of my hardware including the onboard audio and my second HD showed up without me having to add it through disk manager. The installation media is unpatched RTM so it was a bit buggy and slow at first.

I defragged the HDs and applied all patches through autoupdate. I haven't done SP1 yet. For antivirus I installed Forefront security and enabled Windows Defender. I left UAC enabled. The install did not recognize the computer as being good enough to run Aero. I would have been surprised if it had.

After a few tweaks and letting the PC run for a few days to index, it seems to be running fine. In terms of speed, XP booted about 10 seconds faster but once in the OS I couldn't tell any difference. Both use the same amount of memory on this system.

Here's my conclusion from the experience. The first thing to note is that it does work and performance is near that of XP. If you organization has a site license and want everyone on the same OS it may be worth looking into. For a home users who have to buy a license its most likely not worth it.
    Last edited by Ebola; 08-31-08 at 10:37 PM.

That's interesting. The only bottom end computer I put Vista on was just a touch worse than yours. It ran like crap, but it ran like crap anyway. I had heat problems with the cpu. It appeared that the heatpipe went bad??? and I had a old P3 hs just sitting on top of the cpu(this was a laptop) :^D

It didn't run too bad for the first minute or so, but then the cpu would start cooking and the performance went to hell. My daughter wants Vista on her machine, but I've been holding off. Performance concerns are 1 aspect, but she also has some old software that I'm not sure would run on Vista. Some of that stuff is pretty marginal on XP.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebola View Post
    The install did not recognize the computer as being good enough to run Aero.
    You need to upgrade the video card. I recommend the eVGA e-GeForce 7600 GS for a start.
    Asus Maximus II Gene- Core 2 Quad Q6600 SLACR @ 3.3 Ghz (367x9.0)

Where I come from "Z97" is a radio station
    -ICH10R
    - eVGA GeForce GT 640-Antec VP-450

" holy cow!! you find a rat in there too!?!?!? " -turbohans
    "Reinstall winders." -jivetrky
    "I think I am going to need another coke before I start this up." -cadman420
    "Soon Windows will be 50 gb! lololol" -Tokae
    "NOT FOR SALE IN CALIFORNIA."

Again old computer. LOL no PCI-E.

Again old computer. LOL no PCI-E.

There's an AGP version of that video card. I have the AGP version on my Asus A7N8X-X.
    Asus Maximus II Gene- Core 2 Quad Q6600 SLACR @ 3.3 Ghz (367x9.0)

Where I come from "Z97" is a radio station
    -ICH10R
    - eVGA GeForce GT 640-Antec VP-450

" holy cow!! you find a rat in there too!?!?!? " -turbohans
    "Reinstall winders." -jivetrky
    "I think I am going to need another coke before I start this up." -cadman420
    "Soon Windows will be 50 gb! lololol" -Tokae
    "NOT FOR SALE IN CALIFORNIA."

I wouldn't think that it would run very well with that little RAM.
    Then agian, when you said old computer I was thinking of and old computer not one quite that new.
    (I was hoping to see specs of a PIII with 256Mb RAM, it would have been a good laugh)
    Desk Puter - Foxconn C51GU01; AMD X2 3800+ - Dual 2.0Ghz; 1.5gb RAM; Nvidia 6600GT pcie; Win 7 64 bit / Mint 9
    NetBook - Acer Aspire One D250: 160Gb HDD: Win 7 / Backtrack 4 / Mint Debian / MeeGo
    Server Puter - Supermicro X5DAE; Dual Processor - E7505 XEON - Dual 2.66Ghz; 2gb RAM: Nvidia 6600GT agp; Win 7 32 bit / Mint 9.
    HEAT
    Restarting a computer is not how you fix a problem...
    I suffer from
    Fenestraephobia
    I don't think being turned on while turning it on is too high on the creepy list - freakdiablo

Not a bad setup for a non-Aero machine.

The Wiki-Scoop on Vista Enterprise:

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    Windows Vista Enterprise
    This edition targets the enterprise segment of the market: it comprises a superset of the Vista Business edition. Additional features include support for Multilingual User Interface (MUI) packages, BitLocker Drive Encryption, and UNIX application-support. Not available through retail or OEM channels, this edition will get distributed through Microsoft Software Assurance (SA). Since Vista Enterprise classes as a benefit of Microsoft Software Assurance, it includes several SA-only benefits, including a license allowing the running of multiple virtual machines, access to Virtual PC Express, and activation via VLK.[9] Vista Enterprise supports up to two physical CPUs.[6] The 64-bit variant supports 128+ GB of memory. Microsoft "Mainstream Support" for Enterprise ends on April 10, 2012; "Extended Support" ends on April 11, 2017.
    Intel C2D e6400 @ 375MHz x8 = 3Ghz 1.328v, Gigabyte EP43-UD3L, 3GB DDR2, GeForce 9600GT, 73GB 15K SCSI HD/Adaptec 29160 SCSI Card, 750GB SATA Drive, 320GB ATA Drive, HDTV Tuner

D5 Pump Bonneville w/ AC Heater Core Gemeni Cooling Maze 4 Style Water Block

Sager 8690: Core i7 940XM Exreme 2.13GHz (3.2GHz Turbo), 4GB DDR3, GeForce GTX 285M 1GB, 15.6" 1080 LCD, 320GB 7200RPM HD

Difference Between D5 Revisions + flow mod Difference between NPSM & G1/4

Gads--you need more memory! I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this to you yet. I don't think you can even get Vista and one app to run in less than one (1) GB. TWO (2) would be ideal--if your mobo can take it.
    Adopt a Topic for an Overclocking Wiki
    HEAT me up !

Vista Buisness

P4 2.4 400mhz
    512 ram
    9250 as well
    80G HD

ran fine for basic usage....

,`, Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part ,`,
    ,`, The trouble with life is theres no background music ,`,
    ,`, Life isnt short, you're just dead for too long,`,

Just thought some of you may be interested in how Vista performs on an older computer. I was skeptical of all of the complaints about Vista not being able to run on old hardware. I took my old Poweredge SC400 and upgraded to Vista Enterprise. Here are the Specs:

2.4 Ghz P4 (Pre-HT, no EMT64)
    640 MB ram
    Radeon 9250 256 MB PCI GPU
    2 40GB x 5400 RPM IDE HDs (no raid)
    CD Rom Drive (no-DVD drive)

About three weeks ago I noticed Technet had Vista on CD so I figured I'd give it a shot. I was running XP on the box previously and everything was running fine. Fairly quick too for a non-gaming machine. I chose to install the Vista 32 bit Enterprise build which I think is pretty much equivalent to Vista Business. The install went fine and Vista recognized all of my hardware including the onboard audio and my second HD showed up without me having to add it through disk manager. The installation media is unpatched RTM so it was a bit buggy and slow at first.

I defragged the HDs and applied all patches through autoupdate. I haven't done SP1 yet. For antivirus I installed Forefront security and enabled Windows Defender. I left UAC enabled. The install did not recognize the computer as being good enough to run Aero. I would have been surprised if it had.

After a few tweaks and letting the PC run for a few days to index, it seems to be running fine. In terms of speed, XP booted about 10 seconds faster but once in the OS I couldn't tell any difference. Both use the same amount of memory on this system.

Here's my conclusion from the experience. The first thing to note is that it does work and performance is near that of XP. If you organization has a site license and want everyone on the same OS it may be worth looking into. For a home users who have to buy a license its most likely not worth it.
    my friend converted a lab to vista, he doesn't like it much, one big issue is he has i think 1.8-2.4 ish p4's with RD ram (they speced out to upgrade the mem in the lab to 2 gigs each at 32,000 aka order new machines instead)

it takes quite a few to boot the machines, but he's got the whole campus building on vista, i don't think he had much of a choice being he usually is the ginnea pig with vista.
    Main Rig: [Silverstone TJ06 painted hammer black] [Intel E6550 3.2 ghz 1.35v ] [4 gigs Gskil] [Asus P5k Premium Wifi/ap] [Soundblaster Audiguy ZS platinum] [ATI 3560 pro] [enhiem 1250 pump, Swiftech Storm, primoflex tubing, mcres micro, maze 4 gpu block][ Windows Vista x64 Ultimate sp1]
    HTPC: [LianLI V300B] [Opty 165 1.88 ghz] [Thermalright XP90] [2 gb OCZ Platinum DDR400] [Soundblaster X-FI Xtreme Music] [8600GT Stock] [Windows Vista Home Premium sp1]
    Server: [Rocketfish Tower] [c2d E6600][Scythe Ninja Jr] [4 gigs Gskil ddr2 800][ATI X850XT ] [Windows Vista B]
    Network: Cisco 851W uptime: forever
    Heatware

the dell i have here at work, 8250 dimension, use rambus as well, 512, too expensive to upgrade to say the least!

it seems fine to boot.. but it does have an 80G seagate 7200.10 drive

,`, Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part ,`,
    ,`, The trouble with life is theres no background music ,`,
    ,`, Life isnt short, you're just dead for too long,`,

yeah, these have way old 40 gig ide's its a huge bottleneck.
    Main Rig: [Silverstone TJ06 painted hammer black] [Intel E6550 3.2 ghz 1.35v ] [4 gigs Gskil] [Asus P5k Premium Wifi/ap] [Soundblaster Audiguy ZS platinum] [ATI 3560 pro] [enhiem 1250 pump, Swiftech Storm, primoflex tubing, mcres micro, maze 4 gpu block][ Windows Vista x64 Ultimate sp1]
    HTPC: [LianLI V300B] [Opty 165 1.88 ghz] [Thermalright XP90] [2 gb OCZ Platinum DDR400] [Soundblaster X-FI Xtreme Music] [8600GT Stock] [Windows Vista Home Premium sp1]
    Server: [Rocketfish Tower] [c2d E6600][Scythe Ninja Jr] [4 gigs Gskil ddr2 800][ATI X850XT ] [Windows Vista B]
    Network: Cisco 851W uptime: forever
    Heatware