• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First OCZ SSD Core Review - important info!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr.Guvernment

dont run out and buy them yet!

over on [H] some good info going on.. beside have a 245ms on random reads....

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1326446

Someone who is doing allot of testing with them said (and it sums up the entire thread so far..)K

Update:

Got the drives back from OCZ. And guess what? Same exact problems. I ended up purchasing an Adaptec 31605 to see if the onboard cache would help, as well as maybe handle the SSD better than onboard controllers. Unfortunately they don't even work at all with the high-end Adaptec controller. Can't write anything to the drives without the raid array tripping an alarm on the card. Can create the array fine and format, but once you try to write anything, it locks up and fails. Tried different controller BIOS's and everything, nothing worked.

OCZ Has done nothing to address the issues that many people are having. Been over a month since i've had my drives and no single fix has been stated- Doesn't seem like they are even close to figuring out what's going on either. All OCZ does and tell you to try this, then try that, then try this- No concrete configuration seems to compatible so far- Every chipset out there has been reported to have problems by forum members.

OCZ is blaming Windows and Motherboard manufacturers. However, other MLC drives, such as the super talent mlc drives, seem to not have these issues at all. It's obvious OCZ did not test these drives before they started selling them, and expect their customers to do the Beta testing for them.

Also Core V1 and Core V2 are having the same exact issues- So please be aware if you're thinking that the V2 is going to be better- Now... what can I do with $600 of file corrupting, windows stuttering SSD drives? Can't sell them on Ebay, as the buyer would have the same problems.

I'm posting this so nobody else has to throw away money like I just did on a product that I thought was from a reputable company- Call me Biased if you want, and Irate, but I've spent over 30-40hours installing, configuring, updating again and again on a product I really wanted to work. So, yeah, I'm a bit Irate-

that what it seems like for the various problems that people are having, which with other brands don't exist...

I have 4x OCZ Core series 64gb in RAID 0, and having no problems so far. Am I just one of the lucky ones?

just gave me more of a reason to get that Supertalent SSD 30gig for my atom box, plus it cheaper then OCZ at newegg.

quite sad really these were the first drives to stand out as affordable to a degree and now they are having all these problems. Personally I had decided to buy the first 30gb drive at or under $100. However the damage that these drives have done to solid states reputation will keep me away for at least half a year to a year.

BB,
i would wait and get the Intel SSD's, they more the post info about the the more i want one or 2.

Ya ive been following those too. However it all comes down what price point they release them at which they havent really said anything about yet unless I missed it.

I have 4x OCZ Core series 64gb in RAID 0, and having no problems so far. Am I just one of the lucky ones?

Good to know, i assume on the board in your sig...

the issue for me more is OCZ completely dodging the proven problems shown to them.. even on their own forums!

Ya ive been following those too. However it all comes down what price point they release them at which they havent really said anything about yet unless I missed it.

I'm pretty sure they're supposed to go at twice the price of OCZ's current MLCs.

I'm pretty sure they're supposed to go at twice the price of OCZ's current MLCs.

Most likely Intel's will be SLC, so expect prices in line with the Mtron 7500 Line

Hrm, so the other MLC SSDs at this price range like the Ridata work fine?

Ridata's offering is crap, don't even come close to there max speed listed. Of the ones I've used, the best is SuperTalent's. Look for the Rev2 Drives.

http://forums.legitreviews.com/about16784.html for some benchmarks of what I've used. All are MLC. This weekend or next weekend I should have an Mtron 7000 16GB SLC drive to bench.

dicecca112 said:
Most likely Intel's will be SLC, so expect prices in line with the Mtron 7500 Line

They're releasing both MLC and SLC, the MLC is what I've heard will be at twice the price of OCZs. Did the SuperTalent's MLC have stuttering issues similar to OCZ?

Last edited:
So the main issues with these drives are the following:

1) Poor small file writing speed.
2) Windows studdering problem that no one has a clear answer to yet.
Though not every one experiences this.
3) OS file corruption
4) Finally, just won't work, some people can't get windows to install on them.

Is there anything else I missed or got wrong?

Looks like a crap shot at best. Shame too, I was planning on getting one for the passive HTPC I am planning to build.

Last edited:
They take the Nvidia approach and point fingers everywhere but themselves.

dont let the rat see that ;)

Wow 245ms random seek time is ridiculous. I thought Laptop hard drives were bad (and the whole reason laptops suck to use for.. well anything... slow hdds). That seek time is still better then verizon business class DSL in a storm :p (I hit 690ms but that is internet, then again i have hit 19ms with comcast.. hmm maybe better to have a FIOS line for your hdd ;) )

Only post in this thread that denounces it, is a first time poster. I jump to conclusions too much, so I will leave that to others to decide ;)

Lots of good info in this thread (assuming its true..) glad I will not be going SSD for a long time :)

Last edited:
Wasn't the main problem determined to be a too small cache on the controller that causes writes to hang the system? If this is the case, loading lots of the drives up in Raid 0 should reduce or remove the problem, correct?

Considering the drive is down to $89.99 after MIR, I'm actually debating picking up 3 or 4 of them, but I'm not sure I can trust the OCZ MIR. Link to the deal: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1348748

Back