• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Google Crome - NEW Web browser

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
things i like

paste and go
you can separate multiple tabs into multiple windows and back
built in task manager
has same shortcut keys like ff
and SPEEEED

dislikes

gmail issues, (could be me though)

OMG!! You can also reorder them, that's so tight! I hadn't noticed til you said something, lol.

I started to read the comic, but being at work, it's a bit lengthy but worth the time. I'll have to check it out fully when I get home.

I started to read the comic, but being at work, it's a bit lengthy but worth the time. I'll have to check it out fully when I get home.

it will give you a lot of little tips and tricks that it can do.

I am still loving this browser and the ctrl + combinations all seem to be working just like FF!

I think a lot of chrome's features are based on things you can do in ff. There are alot of things that ppl can do with ff which might not be common knowledge (like ctrl+shift+T / opens a previously closed tab). Since chrome is new, ppl are checking every setting and finding out cool stuff. If you find out something new try it in ff and see if it existed already. I won't be abandoning ff just yet, btw you could re-order tabs in ff too but weren't able to split it into separate windows. Chrome looks promising, but it's still beta and there are gonna be some issues along the way.

Its fast I give them that...big screen is good too.

My laptop scroll doesn't work though. So I won't be using it yet.

Well crap. I forgot to check on it before I came to work. Ah well I guess I'll have to wait until the mourning when I get home. Hopefully they make a portable version otherwise I'll still be on FF3 most of the time regardless.

It's almost to simplistic for my taste. It does look neat though. It is really fast though to. I would switch over but once again I am having heating issues on my dv2000 and am going to switch back over to linux and google has no love for the linux flavor yet. Oh well.

Forgot to mention the scroll on my laptop doesnt work the greatest either. It moves down but not up.

So far
Pro
I like the look
Spell check
Pretty fast

Con
It does not remember "zoom in" on websites like firefox 3 does. Every time I open yahoo I have zoom in because text is not adjusted.

I don't know if this a con or pro, it runs two process per tab. At first I was like it uses lot less memory than firefox, ie7 but then I noticed it runs two process for each tab.

I think a lot of chrome's features are based on things you can do in ff. There are alot of things that ppl can do with ff which might not be common knowledge (like ctrl+shift+T / opens a previously closed tab). Since chrome is new, ppl are checking every setting and finding out cool stuff. If you find out something new try it in ff and see if it existed already. I won't be abandoning ff just yet, btw you could re-order tabs in ff too but weren't able to split it into separate windows. Chrome looks promising, but it's still beta and there are gonna be some issues along the way.

This is actually sounding a lot like opera browser.

The copy paste reorder text, moving tabs to windows. (although moving a seperate window in opera back to main leaves a blank opera window on the desktop...so that is improved), the "history" opening closed pages... thats on the main bar in opera look at your last 20 or so closed pages

Also if opera (or windows) crashes you can reopen it up to same place you were ( or set it to always do that)

But the thing that sells me..on trying out chrome...

the speed people mention, and the sandboxxing. Crashing a single page is nice. That will be very useful. Although, keeping a webpage from crashing anything at all would be even better guess you cant have it all. This is UBER important for people that are going to use al lthe apps in a few tabs.

Just got Chrome and so far am having mixed feelings.

Its nice and fast, but so is every browser when you first start using it ;) Opera beat the pants off of FF when I switched to it, and then a few months later FF beat the pants off of Opera when I reinstalled the same version :D It'll be interesting to see how it handles a few weeks of use.

I love the minimal interface -- they pulled it off with far more success than IE7. However, the number of options available appear to be quite limited at the moment, so its going to be difficult to customize.

Probably my biggest complaint at the moment is that middle-click scroll does not work :bang head. I use this all the time as middle-click/keyboard scrolling is just too dang repetitive. I like to set the scroll speed to as fast as I'm reading and let it do its thing :D

This is actually sounding a lot like opera browser.
I was thinking the exact same thing! I really hope their history search is as good as Opera's; Firefox's Awesome Bar doesn't even come close...

JigPu

I was having issues bringing up some websites. They would just time out. However, the problem went away when I turned off the DNS-prefetching. Maybe there is some odd bug...

Otherwise, I'm still trying to get used to Chrome. The second I want to say something is missing, I find it is actually there but kinda hidden. The browser is certainly different than Firefox.

Probably my biggest complaint at the moment is that middle-click scroll does not work . I use this all the time as middle-click/keyboard scrolling is just too dang repetitive. I like to set the scroll speed to as fast as I'm reading and let it do its thing

ditto. safari immediatly turned me off cause of that. middle scroll is fine, its the middle auto scroll when you hold it down (or lappytop scroll)

ya i definately noticed the speed like everyone else is saying. loving the layout sofar. i dont know how many times ie7/ff have let me down just the past week with loosing all my tabs. im a tab ***** and love what google has done.

Back