• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Google Crome - NEW Web browser

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Suggestions for improvement:

1. Merge the tab of "Other Bookmarks" into the Star/Favorites icon in the main bar. This leaves more space at the top of the browser window and gets rid of the visual clutter.

2. Make search through other engines easier. I've read Google's cartoon for Chrome as well as other people's suggestions on how to EASILY search via wikipedia, and merriam webster, but to no avail. The search via other engines are NOT as easy or intuitive as in FF 3.0

EDIT: Did some testing with dl. This thing downloads faster than FF 3.0 or IE 7. With them, I get about 700kbps, but with Chrome, the dl starts with 1.4 mbps and drops to about 800kbps!? I tried three different sites for dling; the results are very similar. Now, different browsers offer different dl speeds?

Last edited:
I love the minimal interface -- they pulled it off with far more success than IE7.

Agree. Completely. And I love it because of this!

Minimalism. Clear and simple.

EDIT: Dog dang it! I can't tear myself away from this browser! :) It's a new toy. Have been playing with it since I downloaded it around 2 pm! :)

Agree. Completely. And I love it because of this!

Minimalism. Clear and simple.

EDIT: Dog dang it! I can't tear myself away from this browser! :) It's a new toy. Have been playing with it since I downloaded it around 2 pm! :)

Totally agree, I just got home and holy crap this thing rocks on my system.

I love the minimal interface -- they pulled it off with far more success than IE7. However, the number of options available appear to be quite limited at the moment, so its going to be difficult to customize.

Probably my biggest complaint at the moment is that middle-click scroll does not work :bang head. I use this all the time as middle-click/keyboard scrolling is just too dang repetitive. I like to set the scroll speed to as fast as I'm reading and let it do its thing :D

JigPu

I agree, the interface has what you need to browse without the unnecessary extras.

I also really need the autoscroll working for this to be my daily browser. Hopefully there's a config page similar to Firefox's about:config hiding in there somewhere.

It is still beta, there is room for improvement.

Um...

It is google it will always be in BETA.

I was thinking the exact same thing! I really hope their history search is as good as Opera's; Firefox's Awesome Bar doesn't even come close...

JigPu

It really surprises me how many people that love FF do not use opera. Its bascially FF with a ton of extensions already included (ohband a smaller download... nope dont need a double sized addon for Tbird either mail is included in that 6.7MB install size :p). Granted older people might not like the switch (opera used to be a paid browser) and some young bucks might not like it, cuz to REALLY get into opera you have to do some coding. But it is all googleable, and anyone that can handle linux can handle customizing Opera.

Then again. Opera never took out a full page ad in a major newspaper and for the longest time had "report as internet explorer" an easy set as default so you can get into all those sites with browser checks. (oh anyone try that yet????)

Last edited:
Haven't had much time to use it (life gets in the way :bang head )

but so far:
-adds :(
-they reordered the right click menu (which I use heavily). :(
-it opens two tasks even with 1 tab open. :confused:
-even with two processes, its using a fraction of the memory of FF :)
-seems to be running lower processor usage too :)
-I miss my file/edit/view tabs, but think I could get used to this :/
-No source code released yet (that I saw at least) :(
-Chromium = source code available :)
-orange rectangle around active field is handy :)
-You can use the address bar to search google. :D

Tabs on top will take some getting used to

Things I dont like about it so far:

In the Options page (from clicking the wrench icon, top right), go to 'Minor Tweaks' tab, click the 'Show saved passwords' button. Click on any of the sites listed, and click the 'show password' button, and bang-there it is for anyone to see, along with your username. Surely thats wrong?

FF does the same thing and has for a LOOONG time

one thing i have already noticed that i DO NOT like is the fact that i have to download files, i cant just RUN/OPEN them... blech

speed is good though, i will hand them that.

but it doesnt really offer much in the way of innovation .... it seems like it took Opera and FF and combined them to make one decent browser.... i will continue to use it, but there is no way i will be replacing FF

is it just me or is there no way to full screen the browser?

Basically after using it for awhile the only things I have against it are all minor gripes that could be easily fixed like the middle scroll wheel issue

What is the issue with the middle scroll wheel? Mine works fine at work and at home :confused:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the double box at the top right should maximize it.........no?

But FF uses a master password so they're not right there visible to anyone using your browser.

true, but only if you USE the master password option

i dont, because i am the only one that uses my computer.... the wife and kid each have their own...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the double box at the top right should maximize it.........no?

Im not talking about maximizing the window Im talking about getting rid of the whole interface. Basically I dont see a funtion within chrome like f11 does in opera.

I spend a lot of time in this mode because you have more viewable space. Ive gotten to a point in opera where I just use key commands to do lots of functions that most would normally use the interface for.

Ooohhhhhh ok, thank you for clearing that up. I kept seeing where people were talking about that and didn't get it because I don't do it, lol.

The more I use this the more I hate it. I cant believe I hadnt noticed this yet but say I want to go to www.ocforums.com From using opera Im used to just typing in ocforums in the top bar and boom im there. Alternatively if I want to search google for ocforums instead of go there I would click tab once to move over to a search bar.

With chrome there is only one bar and big surprise its a search bar. I should have expected as much from a search engine company that wants to drive adds but man its anoying. At this point its a deal killer along with all the minor anoyances. When Im on the internet and want to go somewhere I want to be able to get there as fast as possible and that doesnt include bookmarking tons of sites or typing useless www and .com strings all the time.

The big surprise is that the default search engine it used when I installed it was live...

true, but only if you USE the master password option

i dont, because i am the only one that uses my computer.... the wife and kid each have their own...

But at least you have the option of a master password. You dont with Chrome, and thats why Ive just uninstalled it for now.

The more I use this the more I hate it. I cant believe I hadnt noticed this yet but say I want to go to www.ocforums.com From using opera Im used to just typing in ocforums in the top bar and boom im there. Alternatively if I want to search google for ocforums instead of go there I would click tab once to move over to a search bar.

With chrome there is only one bar and big surprise its a search bar. I should have expected as much from a search engine company that wants to drive adds but man its anoying. At this point its a deal killer along with all the minor anoyances. When Im on the internet and want to go somewhere I want to be able to get there as fast as possible and that doesnt include bookmarking tons of sites or typing useless www and .com strings all the time.

The big surprise is that the default search engine it used when I installed it was live...

ctrl+enter takes the first likely site and goes directly to it.

Back