• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Google Crome - NEW Web browser

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Not having a bookmarks icon to pull down but having a bookmark page icon is kind of ridiculous too. Why not one pull down for both?

Amen, although the wording("ridiculous") is a bit strong. ;)

Another gripe I have is the hassle of searching through other engines--Wikipedia, merriam webster dictionary, urbandictionary, etc

But I am still using it, though, unlike you. ;)

Last edited:
It really seems to root itself into windows.

I clicked the powwer button to do a soft off (normal method for shutting down windows) I got about 15 memory allocation errors :S

I have not uninstalled it yet, because the PC was a test rig, its going bye bye, and the quad is getting hooked up.

Amen, although the wording("ridiculous") is a bit strong. ;)

Another gripe I have is the hassle of searching through other engines--Wikipedia, merriam webster dictionary, urbandictionary, etc

But I am still using it, though, unlike you. ;)

I would also like the favorites pull down and a spell checker that works, or at least an add on like IE spell.

Had to uninstall it today, mouse was acting strange and would just loose the cursor. Several freezes and a few game crashes with feedback loop. I will wait for it to be out of beta before trying again.
It did display video's much clearer then IE and was a lot faster but I don't want to deal with crashes.

Had to uninstall it today, mouse was acting strange and would just loose the cursor. Several freezes and a few game crashes with feedback loop. I will wait for it to be out of beta before trying again.
It did display video's much clearer then IE and was a lot faster but I don't want to deal with crashes.

It does have a problem with Flash, Chrome sometimes ignores mouse clicks, but often recovers.

i haven't tried it yet and i would have to say that i probably won't unless it can compare to firefox with the add-ons. what can i say, i can't live without adblock plus :D

Yea, I can't live wihout AdBlock Plus either

Tried it last night and for me is sucks. I don't like the way it's laid out and I couldn't find any dropdown boxes or a favorites column. Plus, the scroll wheel control is fubar too and just scrolls down, not up. I dumped it this morning and let Google know what I thought about this pathetic excuse.:rolleyes:

I want something faster and with a smaller memory footprint, but not have to learn how to use their browser. That's another reason why I detest IE7 so damn much too. I much rather a traditional browser layout.

Agree entirely. I still find FF to be the easiest to use multitab browser. Before tabs, well, IE6 was good enough for me. Now FF3 is my standard just as FF has been since v 1.5. Eagerly awaiting 3.1 final :beer:

Still using FF. I'm an extension wh0re and I like my browsers like my knives, multitools. I like having dozens of weapons available to me at my disposal for my knowledge, convenience, and my PC's safety. Chrome has a long way to go. And by the time it gets there, I'd assume it will be just as bloated as FF, if not more, though I wouldn't call FF bloated. It seems to do what it does efficiently as I need on my system.

Folks, in case you don't know, there is a patch out there. After the patch, the version is: 0.2.149.29.

Also, I wonder if you have done any downloading with Chrome. Funny thing is that it DOWNLOADS FASTER than either IE or FF 3.1!

Tried downloading Nvidia 177.92 beta driver. Both IE and FF 3.1 were steady at 700 KB/S dl speed. Well, there was a slight spike with IE at the beginning of the dl--789 KB/S, but after a second or so, it quickly settled to 700 KB/S. In Chrome, however, there was a huge spike at the beginning of the dl! It was like 1600 KB/S! Then, it slowly reduced to: 1400, 1200, 1000, 900, 850, 800, until 740KB/S at the end of the dl! That's still 40 KB/S faster than either IE or FF 3.1 in its SLOWEST moment!

Also tried downloading the latest driver(2.18.0004) for Creative ExtremeGamer with three different browsers. Same result! Chrome downloads faster than either IE or FF!

Anyone knows why?

Different browsers could have different dl speeds???

PS: I have the ATT Uverse 6 MBPS down/1 MBPS up package, if that matters.

Last edited:
Some other place mentioned,Chrom is based off some of Safari's code?

They both are built off the Webkit engine. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...nWbtSquGFEELChj0g&sig2=_du30m92B7oIuUYZNoj8Zw

Also, I wonder if you have done any downloading with Chrome. Funny thing is that it DOWNLOADS FASTER than either IE or FF 3.1!

Tried downloading Nvidia 177.92 beta driver. Both IE and FF 3.1 were steady at 700 KB/S dl speed. Well, there was a slight spike with IE at the beginning of the dl--789 KB/S, but after a second or so, it quickly settled to 700 KB/S. In Chrome, however, there was a huge spike at the beginning of the dl! It was like 1600 KB/S! Then, it slowly reduced to: 1400, 1200, 1000, 900, 850, 800, until 740KB/S at the end of the dl! That's still 40 KB/S faster than either IE or FF 3.1 in its SLOWEST moment!

Also tried downloading the latest driver(2.18.0004) for Creative ExtremeGamer with three different browsers. Same result! Chrome downloads faster than either IE or FF!

Anyone knows why?

Different browsers could have different dl speeds???

PS: I have the ATT Uverse 6 MBPS down/1 MBPS up package, if that matters.

Your seeing differences in how the speeds are calculated and reported, not actual differences in download performance. Most browsers get their result by doing averaging, but the exact algorithm used varies. If you select to download and save as a file in another browser, but do not save immediately, then save it - you can reproduce the initial spike you witnessed. The algorithm calculates from the time you save it, and its already been downloading to a temporary file in the background, so the number for your download rate is inflated until time passes and it eventually averages out to something closer to realistic.

Theres lies, damned lies, and statistics. This is one of the latter.

Back