• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus P5S800--POST, then shutdown

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dreamstalker

A machine came into the shop today, Compaq with an Asus P5S800 board...I recall fixing the silly thing just under 2 weeks ago (incorrect RAM). Now it will boot, I'm able to get into bios, then it just shuts down. I'm reasonably sure it never got returned to the customer in the interim, so whatever went wrong had to have gone wrong here.

It passes POST, I am suspecting thermal shutdown of a sort as there is no rear case fan (far as I can tell, this thing was put together by the 'legendary' incompetent co-irker). It was working reasonably well with the exception of RAM errors the last time I used it (I was able to boot into Windows and run for a period of time).

SATA in bios is set to RAID mode (no RAID in use on the rig), all connections are solid as far as I can tell. HDD is SATA with Primary IDE Master being the CD drive.

Ideas?

ETA: There's one possibly-leaking cap near the socket that I can see that wasn't there last week.

Last edited:
Back