• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

spore was so lame

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
4th... LOL, Try its been out since Tuesday or Wednesday. Which ever day it hit the web, hence why alot of people are talking about it. All im getting is quiet a bit of negative feed back from the game with such hype. Damn going to wait and see but that doesn't give me high hopes :/

I'm speaking of official releases.
Trust me, I know all to well about getting games before they are even released.
See, Soulcalibur 4 and Mercenaries 2 threads.

Sounds like a fun game but really if its that short not sure. Was hoping to have it much longer and now that I've looked into it a bit more, really looks like its going to be much much shorter than expected :(

It's extremely replayable. So, while you can get a creature from cell to space in about 10 hours, you can do it again, and differently. Allied with every city last time? Try nuking them so you're the only one remaining. Try making something completely different. I've played through 3 or so full evolutions and it's still fun.

This is not a fully linear game. Yes, it's the same 5 stages (Cell, Creature, Tribal, City, Space). But it's different every time unless you play the exact same way.

It's extremely replayable. So, while you can get a creature from cell to space in about 10 hours, you can do it again, and differently. Allied with every city last time? Try nuking them so you're the only one remaining. Try making something completely different. I've played through 3 or so full evolutions and it's still fun.

This is not a fully linear game. Yes, it's the same 5 stages (Cell, Creature, Tribal, City, Space). But it's different every time unless you play the exact same way.

i have to agree.. it's potential is in how diferent each creature can be for each time you play.. and space has a lot of things to do... anyone feel like painting a planet

going through the evolutions is fast, but I guess the devs made it that way so people can experience the 'end game' faster... going into space and exploring/conquering all the other planets that players made. I agree that it's way overhyped though (knew this before it was released). Seems more of a casual game to me.

By the way, beware of the DRM protection in this game:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spore_(2008_video_game)#Digital_rights_management

I played the first two levels. Its something different, but the graphics are unimpressive and I don't see myself falling in love with it. Thats too bad because the replayability for this game is mad high. It seems a little too cutesy for my tastes, but I'll at least finish one creature.

I tried it at a friends house and quit as soon as I got out of the water onto land and started getting the "Kill X amount of X" and "make friends with X amount of X".

I really don't know what you guys were expecting. From all of the reviews it sounds exactly like what the videos have been showing us for awhile now.

I really don't know what you guys were expecting. From all of the reviews it sounds exactly like what the videos have been showing us for awhile now.
Awhile? They've been showing us the same videos for two years now, they should have been able to develop more than 10 hours of gameplay. There came a point early this year when I wanted to get my hands on it immediately, now I'm sick of waiting and I'm not going to buy it. Marketing dropped the ball IMO, way too much information way too early. I feel like I've already played through the entire game.

I tried it at a friends house and quit as soon as I got out of the water onto land and started getting the "Kill X amount of X" and "make friends with X amount of X".

Aww no, it's that type of game? F that.

When I saw the introduction to spore as a creature evolution game, I imagined a free roaming world where I could do what I want. Being required to do something and receive an advancement is lame - I want the advancement to take place without a silly WoW quest set up.

Damn.:eh?:

Aww no, it's that type of game? F that.

When I saw the introduction to spore as a creature evolution game, I imagined a free roaming world where I could do what I want. Being required to do something and receive an advancement is lame - I want the advancement to take place without a silly WoW quest set up.

Damn.:eh?:

It's basically the Sims, but better and with more things to do. That phase doesn't last too long, and you don't HAVE to do what it tells you. You make the decisions, all it's doing is saying "Become allies with X species, and you get Y evolution points."

Also, you can go to whatever stage you want. If you like the space exploration, you can skip right to that phase and begin designing spaceships and your species immediately. Basically, give the game more than 30 minutes and you'll probably like it, unless you don't care about the amazing creation tools.

Spore is fun and kinda unique. Everyone should at least try it for themselves, its cool. But the hype machine started in fourth gear, and thats hurting it now.

There are HUGE ads for this downtown in Chicago... I can't imagine how much it cost to place these ads in some of the most expensive neighborhoods.

I remember one of the big deals about this game was because it was supposed to come out for Macs first...LOL Right there I put it on my "Don't Bother" list.

I totally know what you mean! I mean, I was lookin' at the box for [insert all Blizzard games here] and it said 'for PC and MAC' on it, and I was like, F that! There's no point in playing it if it's on a MAC!

:rolleyes:

I've got the game installing right now. I figured I'd better try it out at least once to see what it's like.

Back