• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

spore was so lame

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Im in the space age now

I actually found the creature stage (2nd stage) rather fun, as I bred a breed of killers and went around exterminating everything.

The game was rather short, and is seriously lacking a multiplayer

Was it worth the money?

Probably not, but it does bring along short bursts of fun

Iam surprised this has not been brought up yet in this thread ...

Any "current" info on the DRM for this game , mostly in refrence to limited installs and such (like MassEffect) .

Yah, you get three installs before you have to call and get the counter reset. Annoying but as long as your copy is legit you should be good to go...

They did one thing that is the spectacle of fail. The cardboard sleeve has a front that folds open like a book for additional promotional material. And the damn thing was glued shut so that you could not see what was inside. Not that you really need to see the extra art work but for cripes sake, don't go to the trouble of making it and then keep people away from it.

I don't know about you but I am enamored with the way things are handled in this game, animations, textures, music and more are created/applied procedurally. It is something that hasn't been done in a game of this level before and I think from what I have seen that it has been a success, I also think that the game delivers on pretty much everything that it has promised.

at the end of the day, I will still buy it.

if it only lasts 15-20 hours, it has as good or better value (time/dollar) than going to the movies... than add in replay hours and still has a wonderful value imo.

Ive been playing this game for a few hours today and I have to agree with a lot of what ive seen online. So far I finished stage three but havent played stage four.

Stage one: very simple yet it works. If the rest of the game was this good they would have a hit on their hands.

Stage two: A lot is off here. Flying is all but required to not fall into holes in the terrian that you cannot get out of save waiting to starve to death. It stays simple but unlike stage one thats not a good thing.

Its very different from stage one where you see creatures attacking each other around you and you constantly have to move around to survive. Basically each species is concentrated around a nest that they dont really leave. It seems like the whole world is a zoo instead of an ecosystem like it was in stage one. Also your nest is just an area where your species is its. Other creatures dont come and attack you there or anything.

All that you do in this stage is go to each creatures nest and either kill them all or befriend them all. Thats is...

Stage three: Still simplistic. The combat is easy and there are only 9 builidings that you can build on your land. Food was not a limiting factor at all. You could easily grab food once and then kill everyone around you leaving your whole base undefended.

It looks good though and has a nice feel to it even though it is far to easy and simple.

The creature evolution is quite fun though. Without it the game wouldnt hold up at all IMHO. Sure stage one would still be fun but stage one is basically a fun minigame

Well I played it for a few hours tonight.

The first thing that is fail is that when you reach a point where you can progress, you can keep playing but there is no advantage in doing so. I wanted to create a huge creature in the tidal pool but after much swimming around, nothing happens.

And at the point where I wanted to go and do other things, I tried to save my game but I could not find a way to do that. Apparently, I lost everything that I did up to that point. Reloading the game give you no option to restart at the previous point.

So this is a game where you cannot build a solid creature and whatever you do has to be done in a single session. So scoring this game, I have to say:

Every time is a different game: 10
Ability to resume a past game: 0

how can you not save there is a button on the bottom left of the screen that pops up a menu that you can then use to save the game at any time.

BTW ive been replaying the first to stages, as they have the most freedom to edit your creature, and you can press ctrl + shift + c when you are editing your spore and then type in addDNA to get more points to spend on upgrades. That way you can try out everything at once and see what abilities you like best. However there isnt a badge unlock code that I know of to allow all upgrades :(

Well, the only control that I found was to exit the game without saving. It was explicit that my game would be lost. then when I tried to reload the game, there was no option to resume...

I totally know what you mean! I mean, I was lookin' at the box for [insert all Blizzard games here] and it said 'for PC and MAC' on it, and I was like, F that! There's no point in playing it if it's on a MAC!

:rolleyes:

I've got the game installing right now. I figured I'd better try it out at least once to see what it's like.

Oni what are the specs of your Mac? I am interested to know how it would run on my Mac Book. I am worried about the GPU requirements.

Oni what are the specs of your Mac? I am interested to know how it would run on my Mac Book. I am worried about the GPU requirements.

You can always buy it, the disc will install both the mac or windows version.

Well I got the game. I really enjoy it. It's a laid back, chill, and have a bit of fun game.
I'm having a good time with it. It's a good break from all the other games I've been playing.

It's light, fun, qwerky and very appealing to the imagination (which alot around here lack).

I take my time..pick fights...tease predetors (make them chase me). CHange colors, size and tweak with my evo points.

I totaly disagree with th OP and most of the "others" that choose not to enjoy this game or appreciate it becasue they EXPECTED something else.

I sense I'll be replaying this over and over trying different creature set-ups and tweaks, some very evasive/defensive herbavores, or quick, strong carnivores...SO many combinations, and the potintial for addons, and or mods is astounding.

I believe alot of you will miss out on some light, easy going fun for being so quick to dogg and hate on a game idea that hasn't been brought to you like this before. Or miss out because you took someone else's opinion over your own.....But I degress.....

Last edited:
excellent post above. Its not all the ohh,awww I expected but it will surfice. I think that level 2 is probably the most interesting.

That sucks but is ultimately not surprising. It seems to me that the longer and more a game is delayed the worse it is when it actually hits the shelves. I eagerly anticipated "the Movies" for 2 years only to be disappointed after its' release. It was good but the novelty wore off fast. I imagine that if Duke Nuken Forever ever sees a store shelf then it will be the ABSOLUTE worst game ever made, LOL!

That sucks but is ultimately not surprising. It seems to me that the longer and more a game is delayed the worse it is when it actually hits the shelves. I eagerly anticipated "the Movies" for 2 years only to be disappointed after its' release. It was good but the novelty wore off fast. I imagine that if Duke Nuken Forever ever sees a store shelf then it will be the ABSOLUTE worst game ever made, LOL!

well, Just as long as you admit that the same logic doesn't apply to blizzard. Unlike EA, they actually spend they time making the game good, not dumbing it down for the average Sims player.

But...

I'm in the space age right now...and DAMN. Every 2 minutes ( If i'm lucky! ), i get a warning message, saying one of my planets is being attack. I haven't gotten the upgrades for good turrets yet ( and i mean GOOD turrets. Not the junk ones that doesn't do squat for keeping a city safe ).

I'm trying to build money, upgrade plants to T3, get my stuff unlocked, but i'm always being attacked! I said screw it, and i'm now going on the offensive. There's one species constantly attacking me. So i'm slowly knocking out their planets. One by one.

Just sucks, because in space...you are the ONLY competent person in your entire species. Your planets don't do squat to help you. A animal has a virus, that may spread and cause disease? They send you, in your SPACE SHIP, to shoot the animals. A little over-kill? Why can't a couple planes, or a tank or two take care of the problem? Why send a space ship, which eventually will have the power to blow up entire planets...to shoot a little laser at a frakken animal? ARGGGG

It feels like all the crap you have to do in space, was tacked on at the last minute, because the other stages were so short, and void of any real substance.

Not to mention, you should just see how many people are having the game crash on them in space. Happened to my friend, and MANY others on gamefaqs. They enter their home world...then the game freezes and crashes. If they re-load, it happens again. It becomes permanent. Or the game will glitch, and you can't talk to your planet via the radio thing. Thus, you gotta save, exit out, and reload.

Again, Just adds onto the impression that most of the stuff in space was tacked on at the last minute, to offset the other stages.

Fun, but can be frustrating at times too. Especially for those who are like me, and doesn't like to go through things TOO quickly, as you want to make your empire ungodly strong. So I'm stuck constantly defending my planets..one after another. I should just try to hit the center of the galaxy ASAP, as that will let me get much more powerful, much quicker. But that would take the fun out of it for me.

Again, Just adds onto the impression that most of the stuff in space was tacked on at the last minute, to offset the other stages.

Doubtful. One of the biggest points they made was the universe concept, that there would be thousands if not millions of planets you could find, and colonize any of them. However, I definitely agree that things happen in space too often, and for odd reasons. Hopefully, a patch or mod will come around and fix that.

I also have a feeling that the DRM will be removed, like Bioshock's was.

I'm loving Spore so far! I picked it up yesterday and couldn't stop playing it last night, there are tons of things to do, it really feels like a huge sandbox to play in and that is exactly what I was hoping it would be. The gameplay is smooth and for the most part intuitive and I like the achievement system too. I also like seeing other people's creatures inhabiting my world, I think that was a nice touch.

I guess I can see why some people don't like it; I think some people were hoping for a more structured and goal-oriented game, but what Spore does is give you lots of tools and allows you to do whatever you want with them. I guess, like all games, some people will love it, some people will hate it, but I am loving it! :D

I think Spore 2 or 3 (hopefully they will try again in a few years) could end up being a very engaging game. The concept just requires more processing power and networking bandwidth than computers have at the moment. The concept is brilliant, there is no denying that, but how do you execute it?

Just picture trying to code movement for characters that dont exist. Sure you may end up with a humanoid looking thing, but you may also have something that walks on 7 legs has 3 long and 3 short arms placed randomly over its body and has 2 heads, each with a set of antennae. Now try coding the movement for that without having arms flow through each other and believable, fluid motions and code it so it can also work with "n" legs, "y" arms, "z" heads, "x" bodies, and "a" "accessories" all configured in a near limitless way. So now that you have figured out how to code the movement of any configuration of creature, you need to have entire civilizations interact with each other.

It is hard enough to make the individuals in one civilization interact with each other, but try coding the international political structure of the world. You only have a few hundred countries all of which are inhabited by a single species. Now extend those ideas to 1000's of civilizations spanning intergalactic space each with a different type of organism. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, all of these civilizations are constantly evolving, not only in intellectual fields, but also in physical areas. What happens if the new generation has an arm that a previous one did not?

I believe for this game to take off, it needs an extensive online gameplay, similar to WoW, but bigger, several orders of magnitude bigger. Now that you have coded the individual character and there own world which all take place on your computer, now you have to allow that galaxy to meet other galaxies. The bandwidth required for your civilization to interact in real time with other civilizations would be immense and the server that allows all of these connections would be insane as a civilization cannot just drop off of the map when you log out.

Once someone figures out how to do all of that and the technology improves so that a desktop can handle all of the calculations, then, and this is only my speculation, this type of game will encompass all other game types (fps, rts, mmorpg, sim, etc). It will be like second-life but on an intergalactic scale, who knows, maybe there will even be space for an earth where we can each interact with other mere earthlings. What more could you want, constant war, political unrest, unlimited sporting events, intense multilayer interaction with computer and human beings. Until that day comes, I guess we will all just have to play our separate games.

Last edited:
Back