• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win XP, What do you think?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

armatage

I have a dual boot on my computer with Win XP and I was just wondering what people think of XP because I haven't heard much feedback. I think it is the dogs boll*cks, better than 2000.

I installed XP Pro a couple of weeks or so ago and really like it. I haven't had and troubles but others have had problems with it, but those will probably be ironed out with a SP or two. Very stable OS and the extra weight doesn't seem to be a big deal with 512MB DDR ;)

I like XP a lot. Very stable and I really don't have compatibility problems. Nice features it has as well! A big improvement over 98 se IMO. Just my 2 cents ;)

well..i had XP for a few weeks...its stable alright..but I dont like its Generic Drivers..Im a gamer, and I have a MS sidewinder Pro FF wheel..XP DOESNT SUPPORT IT ..sure it works..kinda,,,cant calibrate it though...and MICROSOFT ITSELF DOES NOT have any drivers for XP....and I also have a Logitech Wingman 3D Force...Logitech DOES have the XP drivers,so I installed them and XP BITCHED at me saying files had been changed and it wanted to restore the originals...ok...if I do that..then the joystick doesnt work anymore...If I dont...everytime I tried to add new hardware..XP told me I couldnt add the new hardware until I had restored the original files that the logitech had changed...being a gamer...98se is WAAAAY BETTER IMHO

I really think it depends on what you're going to use it for. I use XP for surfing the web, SETI crunching, creating documents and spreadsheets, cd burning, and a few games. It's been decent so far, but like Jeniva I've had a few problems in the gaming area with drivers and such, and also a couple problems with burning cds.

If I had to pick an overall "best" (and I use that term loosely) Microsoft OS it would have to be 2000.

Its features are great.

It runs great after TWEAKS.

But after that it all sailing from there.

The upgrade from 2000 to XP Pro doesn't really benefit 2000 users as XP is just basically a little more demanding with just a little more features and some GUI and some better compatiblity.

XP Runs very good if you were on 512RAM.

Yodums

By the way one thing I noticed is when I upgraded to Win XP my memory marks were actually back at normal as in Win2K my memory benchmarks were running if my memory was still EDO or something.

Yodums

I'm still getting used to XP but I like it so far. However, I do use the 'classic' setup; not sure if I'll ever use the 'XP' interface.

NTFS or Fat 32?

What is better to run ntsf or fat32 Ive tried both on XP and ntsf seems slower I have 2 20gigs WD ata 100 on a raid array epox 8K7A+ highpoint controller plus 2 other 20 gigs. I have mandrake on boot disk to load.Now I have WinXP alone with ntsf file system, wich file system is better I need some input thanks.

Re: NTFS or Fat 32?

wolfman said:
What is better to run ntsf or fat32 Ive tried both on XP and ntsf seems slower I have 2 20gigs WD ata 100 on a raid array epox 8K7A+ highpoint controller plus 2 other 20 gigs. I have mandrake on boot disk to load.Now I have WinXP alone with ntsf file system, wich file system is better I need some input thanks.
NTFS is a lil slower but its much more stable...so its your choice on what's more inportant to you..

I've been using the full eye candy effect. It's something different and I'm getting used to it. I think I may go back to having my icons on the desktop though. That's what it's there for.
Anyway. I just set up Remote Desktop Connection and I have to say that it's probably one of my favorite features. I had been using VNC up till now, but this may be better. VNC was good though.

XP is great, i have been using it since the last beta and havent looked back, my benchmarks and overall perfomance have increased drasticly over 2k..but xp does take alot of tweaking to get it running good :)

Back