• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Defrag software that lets me Specifically Choose location of Page file/Games/Apps?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

don'tknow

Defrag software that lets me Specifically Choose location of Page file/Games/Apps?

Currently using PerfectDisk 8.0 which already has an option to 'place files on disk according to usage', but I'm not really satisfied with how it works on a 750GB hard drive with 170+ GB of games because it doesn't let me choose where to put each game, or any file/folder for that matter. My OS is on a seperate 60GB drive along with my apps/music. Page file + all my games are on the 750GB drive.

I know, should have gotten a Raptor 300GB for games but the above drive was bought a year ago when that raptor didn't exist, and the current price of it is way too high while I really need to upgrade my cpu/mobo/vid card much more than the hard drive. On a limited budget.

Is it possible to specifically choose the physical location my Pagefile to be at the very beginning of the drive, and then my most played game after that for best performance? Think I saw some defrag utility that could do it but I forgot the name.

Last edited:
PerfectDisk and customizing file placement.

PerfectDisk's file placement strategy is designed to speed up overall drive performance by $MFT placement (speeds up NTFS performance 5-10%), free space consolidation (improves write performance), placement of boot files (improves boot speed 10-20%) and defragmentation of files (improves read performance for files). SmartPlacement is designed to speed up future defrag passes via placement of like files (frequently modified, rarely modified, etc).

For specific gaming environments, PerfectDisk doesn't allow customization of file placement.

- Greg/Raxco Software
Microsoft MVP 2003-2007
Windows File Systems

Disclaimer: I work for Raxco Software, the maker of PerfectDisk - a commercial defrag utility, as a systems engineer in the support department.

Back