• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

USB overcurrent, shutting down in 30 seconds?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PearlJammzz

SO I just built a new computer for a friend and everything was perfectly fine. He gets it home and he plugs in all his stuff and gets this error. Weird thing is, he doesn't get it if he has 4 USB devices plugged in, but as soon as he adds a 5th, it gives this.

Doesn't seem to matter which device although I did tell him to go hoem today and try each one individually and see if there is a problem device. Specs are as follows:

Mobo = Asus Rampage Formula
CPU = Q9550
Vid = 4870x2
PSU = Enermax Infinity 750
Ram = 4x2gig sticks of OCZ Reaper
Sound = HT Omega Claro
OS = Vista 64bit
Other stuff = 2 velociraptors in SLi, 1 500gig 11 series seagate, and a thermalrighty ultra 120 for a heat sink. LG super multi burner (does blu-ray and HD-DVD)

Anyoen have any ideas? Google results seem to deal with it doing it no matter what, which isn't the case. I don't think metal is touching anywhere but I can't check till I get it in my hands.

May well just depend on what was actually plugged into the USB port, and whether it was on rear IO ports or from M/B header
As sometimes its best to spread out USB appliances between the rear ports and USB PCI bracket header connected from M/B

Back