• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

when will you get an SSD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
when radom reads dont suck massive donkey.... round things ;) at 250ms or higher and are affordable ($1-$1.50 per gig or less)

they would have to be doing some pretty good numbers IE 150+MB/s r&w and i would have to be able to buy 2 of them for less than 120 bucks with a combind capacity of 200gb or greater.

untill then im sticking with the much better price : performance : storage standard hds.

When they hit less than $2/gb I'll pick up a decent sized one to replace my raptor.

The seek speed is what is attractive to me. I rarely (read: almost never) hit my STR speed for my raptor, I hear it seek all the time.

COnsidering I shelledout 250 bucks for 2 36.7gb raptors, and then 280 for 2 74gb raptors....my guess is as soon as reliablity is down cold, I'll be picking up 2. :)

When they hit less than $2/gb I'll pick up a decent sized one to replace my raptor.

The seek speed is what is attractive to me. I rarely (read: almost never) hit my STR speed for my raptor, I hear it seek all the time.

Yup, i am more interested for it as an OS games drives, i will use HD for storage.

I agree with above two guys. I don't need a hd for storage so as soon as I can get around 32 GB for <= $100 I'll buy one. I was about to buy a ocz core ssd. 32 GB was $99 after rebate, but I don't want to deal with the technical issues they are having with them right now.

When a MLC with a good controller (Samsung or Intel) gets under $200 for the 120gb model.

Or maybe an OCZ Core V2 sooner if finances work out okay...

when i get my new laptop. although im not sure if it uses pata or sata. get differing indications from different reviews but ill probably get it then.

on the desktop im not at the point of caring much. but the laptop could use all the buffs it can get. especially with the new one i want using 1.8"

So far Intel's new SSDs are the only ones worth getting. I am getting 4 of these when the price goes down below 150 bucks for 64GBs.

When the current HDD dies in my laptop, I may investigate an SSD for that. The first drive died after about 18 months, its been about a year since I replaced the first drive. So any day now? But the laptop uses PATA, so I might have to jump through hoops to get an SSD to work on it... hmmm.

I'd probably get one for my desktop when I can get two 64gb drives or bigger for under $100.

Just to let you guys know...

These are on sale at ncix

OCZ Core Series OCZSSD2-1C32G 32GB 2.5IN SATA2 ssd
Price: $98.99 CAD after $60 MIR

Patriot PE32GS25SSDR Warp 32GB 2.5IN SATA2 Solid
$109.99 after $50 MIR

Back