• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

when will you get an SSD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ALiEN2953

what type of price, performance and size will cause you to get an SSD.

for me i will wait until i can get a 64gb, 250mb/s up and down with .1ms for around $150. Then id put 2 in raid0

yep im waiting on my maxtor 200gb too, only issue is i have 3 of them im not even using. never thought that backups would be a bad thing

I remember waiting in line for the stupid thing a few years back, I paid $39 after rebates and I was giddy as a school girl and now it's shooting me in the foot :D

ha yeah i got 4 of them for $20 each, still the best price per GB i have ever seen

When I can get one thats greater than 250GB for around 125 I'll take it. I want to copy my whole hard drive over and save the trouble of reinstalling Vista 64 Educators edition...

Ill grab a SSD whenever they drop to sub $100 in the 32-64gb range. Also beyond that I require it to be as viable as hard drives are currently

When you can get 2 64GB SSD's for a RAID0 for 300$ or less. Or a 160-200GB for 300$ or less.

I'm set on HDD"s for a while and my 150GB raptor for my OS is plenty fast. Possibly in my next build.

When 64gb SSDs are at the $240 price point which is why I bought the OCZ V1 Core. Regretting it now as the performance just isn't worth it, the professional reviews that came out when the drives launched really had 0 warning about the stuttering issue. My newest mark is when Intel's 80gb MLC SSD is at the $240-$260 range.

I was going to take the plunge and buy an OCZ Core V2 80GB. Price, size and performance was right for me. Then I read the Anandtech review. :-/
So when a drives that actually works becomes affordable (pricing similar to OCZ Core ssds) I'm getting one.

When they are under $100 for a 150-and up gig hard drive I will consider it. Or when my good ol' 200GB maxtor fails.

Not for me :). Aren't they cheeper to make? I'm just guessing because it's all electronic so it's cheaper to manufacture???

I'll say 320GB for $50.

The absolute most I'll be willing to pay is $1 per GB, and only if:
  • lifetime ("erase cycles") is equal to or greater than regular hard drives
  • a single drive has >200MB/s STR

I can pay $0.20 per GB and get STR of nearly 70MB/s from standard drives with huge storage capacities.

If I'm going to pay 5 times as much for the drive, I want a significant increase in reliability and transfer rates, not just access times.

I'll bite when they can do at least 250 read 200 write and the price is under $100 for at least 80GB.

When the 16/32gb high speed ones hit below $100. I figure I'll just end up getting one and using it as a boot drive and use HDDs for storage till SSDs move closer to HDD prices.

I may give higher consideration to one if I ever choose to invest in a nice laptop. The performance increase you get in a laptop with an SSD is just awesome.

Back