• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

W2K question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wizardloader

I bought a W2K OS. Its complete with SP 2, not an upgrade. However when I try to fdisk with the w2k cd all it wants to do is upgrade.

How do I Fdisk? Do I use win98 cd and fdisk then put in the w2k on the re-boot? Or do I make a floppy?

Sorry I sound dumb, but I want a fresh install.

fdisk off a dos boot floppy: gives you a clean wipe.
Bootdisk.com has a bunch of boot disk and utilities for download. Try here if you need a boot floppy

Nope.

There will come a point in the windows install where it will ask you to what partition do you want to install Win2000. Shortly before (or after, sorry) you will have an option to delete or create partitions. This is where you would wipe out your Win98 partition and create a NTFS partition.

And one major advantage (or at least I love it) advantage XP install over the 2000 install is XP will let your quick format a hard drive, even a new partition. Unfortunately, Win2000 does it the longer way.

Either or.

Just a note: new oses will repartition a hard drive during the install, but I prefer to guarantee a clean drive and mbr by fdisking ( and using the /mbr switch) before the install.

I just think it is a better guarantee of completely wiping out any junk from a previous install.

rogerdugans said:
Just a note: new oses will repartition a hard drive during the install, but I prefer to guarantee a clean drive and mbr by fdisking ( and using the /mbr switch) before the install.

I just think it is a better guarantee of completely wiping out any junk from a previous install.
Fdisking is one of the best ways to guarantee that you have rid your hard drive of any former os's. Especially if you are going to go to a win2k install, and yes when you are installing at one point it will ask you how you would like to format your Harddrive, NTFS, or Fat32 I usually keep Fat32 Partitioning but quite a few people swear by NTFS, that is really a preference choice to you.

J

What size do you recommend for the NTFS partition. It auto selected all but 8 megs of my HD. I feel dumb:beer:

BTW the boot disk didn't work so I used win 98 cd to fdisk then removed it immediately

wizardloader said:
What size do you recommend for the NTFS partition. It auto selected all but 8 megs of my HD. I feel dumb:beer:

BTW the boot disk didn't work so I used win 98 cd to fdisk then removed it immediately

A partition that is needed depends on you.

You should set it to what you want.

I have two drives so I just make the partitions using 100% space.
Since as you split the partitions they run a little slower.

Back