• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can 4.0GHz with a q6600 be achieved?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Caillech

Registered
So I've been trying for a long time now to see how far I can push my q6600. so far I've ran somewhat steady at 3.7 (I'm pretty new to overclocking).

My question though, has anybody reached a steady 4.0 or can that be done? If not I am pretty sure I can reach 3.8 safely with my setup im just not really experienced and not very good at getting the voltage and all that fun stuff correct. I'm running an asus formula rampage with a watercooled q6600.

Overall here i'm just trying to up my overclocking skills with this processor by learning from your experience so i can reach max stable performance. Thanks!

I was able to get to windows and get HW monitor, and cpuz open just in time for it to crash, after that it failed to post on all other attempts. im just running at a stock 2.4 right now until I can figure out how to stabilize at at least 3.8

hmm..

what cpu multiplier are u using..what voltage and what is the ram set to in the bios

Some of the earlier GO's could do 4.0 daily stable. Those are Golden chips, but really your chances of getting a new oneto 4.0 with out extreme cooling is pretty slim. You may be able to do a suicide run, but that's about it.

Some of the earlier GO's could do 4.0 daily stable. Those are Golden chips, but really your chances of getting a new oneto 4.0 with out extreme cooling is pretty slim. You may be able to do a suicide run, but that's about it.

My chip is somewhat older GO model. I don't necessary have to settle for 4.0 or even 3.8 I'm just looking for numbers to achieve the highest overclock this processor is capable of with a high end cooler.

+sYnc3+, I am at 2.4 right now and just running stock but i pretty much failed to write down what I have tried so far. I've mostly gone through forums and used them as guides since I'm not comfortable doing my own work yet.

My chip is somewhat older GO model. I don't necessary have to settle for 4.0 or even 3.8 I'm just looking for numbers to achieve the highest overclock this processor is capable of with a high end cooler.

+sYnc3+, I am at 2.4 right now and just running stock but i pretty much failed to write down what I have tried so far. I've mostly gone through forums and used them as guides since I'm not comfortable doing my own work yet.

Did you read through this guide?
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=515316

Its very helpful. ALso make sure you always write down settings of each attempt so you know where stability was.

Caillech I have very similuar hardware to yours. I have water blocks on my SB, NB, Fets, and Dtek Fusion w/quad nozzel on the Q6600. It's an earlier G0 as well. I've got 3.6 ghz rock solid stable (minus the S3 state crashes in Vista). I've got 3.91 ghz stable with a lot of voltage. Running 435 FSB and mem 1:1 I'm pushing 1.475 Vcore and 6 hour OCCT temps of 50*C. I say 6 hours as by then the entire loop temp has stabilized. My NB never get's over 35*F.

I'm able to do some benches at 4.0 (445x9) but it's just to unstable. I'm looking for a 24/7 4 ghz and it's just not happening for me. I've pumped as much as 1.575 Vcore with better luck but I don't want to run it 24/7 with that. I've seen a lot of people saying most Q6600's have a 435mhz FSB wall of sorts which requires a lot of PLL voltage along with a lot of Vcore to cross.

Edit: I forgot to mention that my Q6600 has a vid of like 1.325 or something like that. I'm at work so I don't know it off hand. I'm usually unlucky with processors as I tend to always get CPU's with high VID's.

It's definitely possible. Plenty of people on these forums have a Q6600 at 4GHz. My current one has a VID of 1.3v and I have it stable at 3.7GHz. I can post at 3.9GHz if I get crazy with the volts, but my cooling isn't adequate.

I did have another Q6600 with a VID of 1.2125 but it ran super hot and my cooling wasn't anywhere near good enough, but I'm sure it would have run stable at 4GHz under water.

Basically, it all depends on the chip you get.

It appears that the newer P45 boards are the ticket for any FSB OCing these days. I got the Maximus when it first came out. The stock NB water block was pretty cheesy and inefficient for my tastes.

But the OP already has a Rampage Formula. I'm personally going to stick with my x38 board until my next warrented cpu socket change. Got to much money invested already in this setup to ditch it after not even a year. I'm going to do some cleaning on my rig this weekend and try to work to get 435x9 stable and I'll post up my setting for the OP to try once/if I get it nailed.

Last edited:
Back