• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Choosing a motherboard: C2D,4850

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kivin

Hello World,

I think this is the place to inquire about such a thing. I'm about to start building my new OC box. My proposed specs are:

Core2 E8400
Palit HD 4850
Crucial Ballistix 1x2GB 1066MHz.
HS still negotiable.

I'd like to be able to hit 4.0GHz stable without a $150 fan or top of the line motherboard. Anything over that is gravy. Cheaper is definitely better, if possible. Crossfire support, if possible, for upgrade room down the road a bit. 16x16 PCIe2.0 is not necessary, the 4850s don't bottleneck at 8x8 appreciably.
Which makes me think a P45 mobo is probably my best choice.

In particular, the Biostar TP45 HP or a P5Q Pro. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

If you can afford it and REALLY want Crossfire, I'd say the Rampage Formula. x48 is better than p45 for xfire.

If you're NOT gonna do Crossfire, then yea, something like the P5Q Pro would be good, I'd theorize. Something with p45, as p45 is excellent for just a single card.

I always say, figure out what you want to do in the future BEFORE you buy it. You're gonna pay more money for an x48 board, which is what you want if you're gonna do crossfire. If you're not gonna do crossfire then you'd basically be throwing some money away for x48. Same thing goes for your PSU, only get something over 600 watts if you ARE gonna do crossfire in the future...if not, 550/600 should be more than enough for a single card, even a high-end one.

Thanks for the replies.

What's the diff between a P5Q Deluxe and the "Pro" model, to justify a CAD100 price difference?

Also, as I said, 16+16 PCIe2.0 is not a priority for me. 8+8 is enough bandwidth. In Canada, it appears the X48 boards are about three times the price of the P45s.

Like I said, all Crossfire means to me is another upgrade option down the road. I'm not interested in shelling out big bucks for it, I just like the idea of having that option twelve to eighteen months away to extend the line of my system a bit.

edit: re: The PSU, got my eye on a Logisys 575W with the right price tag. Various forums, official Palit data, and online wattage calculators indicate this will be more than enough for a pair of 4850s in Crossfire.

Last edited:
575 might be kind of skimping it for TWO 4850's...you might be ok though. I'd personally recommend around 700 or so for two 4850's though.

For just ONE 4850, the Corsair 550VX would be good. Hell, it's enough for a 4870, and that's exactly what I have.

Sounds like the Rampage Formula might be a little too steep for you, but I can't blame you. It's damn near $300 for a mobo. Honestly you might be better off getting a single 4870 like I did. Then just go with a p45 chipset, like the P5Q.

But yea, PSU and mobo choice have quite a bit to do with Crossfire, or if you just want a single card. I personally don't like the idea of "in case I wanna do this in the future," I like to figure out what I'm going to do for a permanent setup AS I buy the components. You save money that way by not getting something you won't take advantage of.

Last edited:
Not too worried about the PSU. If I drop a second 4850 in, that wont be for quite a while. Year or more, maybe. I'll revisit the power reqs at that point. More concerned with what mobo is going to give me a clean OC without shelling out uberbucks.

But yea, PSU and mobo choice have quite a bit to do with Crossfire, or if you just want a single card. I persoally don't like the idea of "in case I wanna do this in the future," I like to figure out what I'm going to do for a permanent setup AS I buy the components. You save money that way by not getting something you won't take advantage of.

That's sound enough advice. I guess I just have this (somewhat) irrational fear of getting trumped a year to two years down the road, with few/no upgrade options. Historically, I've had to gut nearly the whole PC every few years, and buying into Crossfire today with a compatible motherboard at least gives me the possibility of extending my system's lifespan without shelling out uberbucks for performance equipment.

Nah. I wouldn't bother with Crossfire. It sounds like you're budget-conscious. Like I say I'd go for the 4870 over the 4850 for the GDDR5 alone. A single 4870 will last you awhile. And you might save a few bucks on the board, with just a single card in mind. As well as the PSU.

4870 is a little more money than the 4850, but less than two 4850's. Then again two 4850's can be broken up easier, financially. Gut instinct tells me to recommend a single 4870 and a p45 board though. Don't worry about Crossfire too much.

I agree with the P45 and a single 4870. It's a great card. ~$500 for the Mobo and the Card at Memory Express right now. A little more if you want IPR.

Gonna have to opt out of the 4870 for now. My retailer wants over $100 more for it over the 4850, where as a Crossfire mobo costs me not a dime more. The only P45 boards available in my price range are all Crossfire. If I were to downgrade the mobo to a single-PCIe, I'm looking at a P35.

edit: or a P43 for that matter, which I'm frankly not familiar with... at all.

see:

Sub-P45:

http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=11830BD6873&vpn=GA-EP35-DS3L&manufacture=GIGABYTE
http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=11830BD7865&vpn=GA-EP43-DS3L&manufacture=GIGABYTE

P45-No Crossfire:

http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=11830BD7711&vpn=GA-EP45-DS3L&manufacture=GIGABYTE

... or for $10 more... http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=17060BD5855&vpn=TP45 HP &manufacture=BIOSTAR

Gonna have to opt out of the 4870 for now. My retailer wants over $100 more for it over the 4850, where as a Crossfire mobo costs me not a dime more. The only P45 boards available in my price range are all Crossfire. If I were to downgrade the mobo to a single-PCIe, I'm looking at a P35.
This comment suggests that you don't know you can run a single card in a crossfire board. You don't have to run in crossfire just because the board supports it.

I run an X48 with one 4870, and my fps on the Source engine hits 300 at times. Huge improvement over my 8800GTX. It's an amazing card, especially for the price.

P5Q $209
4870 $300
________
$509 before tax. That's a pretty good price, and you could probably find a better deal.

This comment suggests that you don't know you can run a single card in a crossfire board. You don't have to run in crossfire just because the board supports it.
I think what he's saying is he won't lose any money by getting a Crossfire board, even though he might not do Crossfire, being that he wants a P45 chipset over a P35.

If your retailer wants over $100 more, then no. Get the 4850. I was assuming your retailer would have "normal" prices.

575 might be kind of skimping it for TWO 4850's...you might be ok though. I'd personally recommend around 700 or so for two 4850's though.

For just ONE 4850, the Corsair 550VX would be good. Hell, it's enough for a 4870, and that's exactly what I have.

Sounds like the Rampage Formula might be a little too steep for you, but I can't blame you. It's damn near $300 for a mobo. Honestly you might be better off getting a single 4870 like I did. Then just go with a p45 chipset, like the P5Q.

But yea, PSU and mobo choice have quite a bit to do with Crossfire, or if you just want a single card. I personally don't like the idea of "in case I wanna do this in the future," I like to figure out what I'm going to do for a permanent setup AS I buy the components. You save money that way by not getting something you won't take advantage of.

A good 500 watt is plenty for two 4850s. A Corsair HX520 powers two 4850s, Rampage Formula, Q9450, and 6 SATA drives just fine. When looking at a power supply, you need to be looking at the quality more than the advertised wattage. Corsair, PCP&C, and Seasonic are all good. Reviews of many can be found here. Find one that is good and in your price range, and you'll be much happier than with a lesser-quality PSU.

I think what he's saying is he won't lose any money by getting a Crossfire board, even though he might not do Crossfire, being that he wants a P45 chipset over a P35.

If your retailer wants over $100 more, then no. Get the 4850. I was assuming your retailer would have "normal" prices.

I never would have made that interpretation based on what he wrote, but it doesn't matter.

The 4850 here in Canada is $199 retail with no rebates or sales.
The 4870 is $300 with no rebates or sales.
Those prices are quite normal, the 4870 is simply more expensive.
But regardless of the actual price, the price difference regardless of whether you live in Canada or the U.S. is very close to $100.00

Sixshot is right. I was merely stating that I'm not spending anything extra by having the option of crossfire.
I can stomach the $180 that DirectCanada wants for a 4850, but $300 is too much. All that besides, I'm not sure how this thread got so derailed.
What I'm principally concerned with is which motherboard to buy.
Until someone gives me a really compelling reason not to, I'm guessing it's going to be the TP45 HP. Am I going to be disappointed with this mobo, trying to get a 4Ghz OC out of an 8400?

If I'm not going to go with a Crossfire setup, would I be out of line to consider a P35 board to free up coin for a better PSU and possibly a 4870?

Fair enough. It was actually windwithme's review which put my sights on the TP45HP in the first place. I believe I'll stick with my original plan:

- E8400
- TP45HP
- 2GB 1066Mhz DDR2
- HD 4850
- ?? 500-575W PSU
- 7200.11 640GB/32MB HD

looks good to me man! btw i have a lower end biostar TP43D2A7 for the $60 open box from the newegg. it works really well imo for such a lowend board with lots of features for the price. the only downside is the 3 settings for cpuv, but that isnt a big deal to me...

Back