• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I hate itunes! Any alternatives?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PearlJammzz

I am trying Winamp, but it just crashes every time I try.

Anyone know of some good, light-weight applications that I can send music to my ipod with? Two requirements are that:

1. doesn't require that itunes has ever been installed on the machine, ever.
2. Doesn't require me to mod the firmware/software on my ipod. I use this for my car so I need it to be able to play through the headunit through the integrated features. Hacked/changed ipods won't do it.

Thanks guys :). I can't find crap on the net that works well!

ephpod? senuti?

Why you hate the itunes so much ... i dont personally like it but the interfacing between an ipod and computer i have found is best done with itunes.

I will check some of those out...sharepod seems like the best from looking over them, but it may not work as it states it installs an app on the ipod so we'll see.

I disliek it because of how it installs itself and has 10 applications ALWAYS running even for devices I don't own. I'm not a power-pod user (that even a term? lol). I'll update it with new tunes here and there when I get them but for the most part it'll be one big transfer of my current collection with small updates as needed.

A program that I could just copy/paste would be EPIC. Who needs all this library and auto-sorting stuff? They are all made of fail lol.

I found a little program called Dopisp for WIndows that allows you to sync w/ WMP11, might give that a try.

Hajalie, does WMP do this natively now?

I will check some of those out...sharepod seems like the best from looking over them, but it may not work as it states it installs an app on the ipod so we'll see.

I disliek it because of how it installs itself and has 10 applications ALWAYS running even for devices I don't own. I'm not a power-pod user (that even a term? lol). I'll update it with new tunes here and there when I get them but for the most part it'll be one big transfer of my current collection with small updates as needed.

A program that I could just copy/paste would be EPIC. Who needs all this library and auto-sorting stuff? They are all made of fail lol.

Really then you should just use Windows Explorer to transfer the stuff to your pod and MediaPlayer to play the stuff on your machine

Here's the instructions on how to copy music from your iPod to your PC without a music manager, I'm sure you can figure out how to do the inverse ;)

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2006/...-from-ipod-to-pc-and-computer-without-itunes/

Fudge is right, best to just copy it using Windows Explorer. That's how I did it with my iPod, and now I refuse to buy any MP3 player that doesn't allow this natively. Requiring a program to do something as simple as copying music files is asinine.

i use yamipod (yet another ipod manager) for windows. might take a while to figure out, but its a small lightweight program w/o any installation.

seriously though, itunes on a mac is really good. i hated itunes before i got a macbook pro, but since i got it for free (love being a sys admin) ive been using only itunes to transfer music to the pod.

Only issue w/ the Windows Explorer method is that I can't play the songs just on the ipod, or off the car's ipod plugin (which is where it's going to reside). Am I missing something or is this just how it is?

i use yamipod (yet another ipod manager) for windows. might take a while to figure out, but its a small lightweight program w/o any installation.

seriously though, itunes on a mac is really good. i hated itunes before i got a macbook pro, but since i got it for free (love being a sys admin) ive been using only itunes to transfer music to the pod.

Very true, it's great on a Mac although I'm not too thrilled with v.8 .

Only issue w/ the Windows Explorer method is that I can't play the songs just on the ipod, or off the car's ipod plugin (which is where it's going to reside). Am I missing something or is this just how it is?

Sure you can. It's the same as it ever was, just bypassing iTunes. You would have to make playlists using a text editor but other than that, there is no difference.

Sure you can. It's the same as it ever was, just bypassing iTunes. You would have to make playlists using a text editor but other than that, there is no difference.

I put some files inside the root folder, and inside folder within root but to no avail, still don't show up on my ipod. Maybe I missed something?

I will go give that Floola app a try/look at and see. I figured there would be tons of perfectly-working easy to use light weight apps around, seems I was wrong lol.

I put some files inside the root folder, and inside folder within root but to no avail, still don't show up on my ipod. Maybe I missed something?

I will go give that Floola app a try/look at and see. I figured there would be tons of perfectly-working easy to use light weight apps around, seems I was wrong lol.

um, did you read the link I posted above? The root folder is not where they go.

I, too, found iTunes to be a great big pile of fail and lose. I tried a few different programs but wound up sticking with Winamp and the ML_Pod plugin. It works pretty OK, but not the greatest. Seeing as you've already tried Winamp and found it to be less than awesome, I would suggest trying out Songbird by Mozilla. It's kind of an iTunes clone, but when I played with it, it actually worked quite a bit better than Apple's bloatware.

I think half of my problem, and a lot of other people's problem with iTunes, is due to the fact that I like to manage my MP3s on the file level, not on the software level. I can do this with Winamp and ML_Pod, but not with iTunes or Songbird or other software that is similar.

Give Songbird a try though and see if that rogers your hammerstein.

I use Winamp for mine only thing it doesnt have is the smart playlist, but I'm sure there is a way to program it to do that, and I just don't know.

Back