• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tired of Hot wiring, need suggestion

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ottoman

hey guys

a couple months ago I painted my black, and while trying to get a nice color clash, between my power switch and case, the paint ended up fusing the the plasitc...

so I had no power switch :rolleyes:

so I pull it out of the top and would press the 'clicker'

well after months of pressing the the solder got weak and broke off...

so I've been 'hot wiring' them since...

so I'm in need of a new switch...

and wanted to make a 'mod' out of it, I bought a colored LED switch, but then realized that the power switch is just an interrupt, and not like a wall switch than stays on or off, so I didn't install it, since there's no point for it to 'light up' then switch it off..

any ideas guys?

I used a regular momentary push button from Radio Shack to extend my case buttons (YY cube has the buttons inside the door). They come in red or black, but don't light up.
The switch you got would work good elswhere though, so don't toss it.

Your case push button may come apart allowing you clean out the paint...my old case did the same thing. Try using a hair dryer to soften the paint from the backside of the bezel. (plastic front)

They usually come without a switch, and turn and off with the power supply in the computer...(12 volt power runs their tiny inverter box)
In some locations, and depending on the window in your case, it might not be a bad idea to put your LED switch on it. Like for instance if it shines in the livingroom on you while watching tv, or if your computer's in the bedroom...those cold cathode tubes are bright.
Just an idea. Install it in the 12v supply power line, not the one between the cc tube and the inverter.

I remember seeing a nifty little toy on another site that would be great for this:

It is a remote control that looks a lot like the keyless entry/alarm keyfob you get with newer cars. There is a small reciever that mounts to one of you expansion plates on the back of the pc with an antenna....

Remote RESET and POWER on/off functions!!!

I think it was about $20 + shipping...

I will post the link here when I find it again...

This requires a switch that uses a 5V DC lamp or LED. If it uses an LED, you'll have to make sure that the 2-pin plug is oriented correctly. Then simply wire the switch as shown.

I bought a switch much like the one shown...

but I didn't know how much load went through the switch,

the switch is a 3 prong, Earth Load and supply..

but it's DC 12V 30A...

I don't think it'll light up... :(

I remember someone having a nintendo controller for power and reset.. that was slick

Search ebay for a justcooler pc remote control or computer remote control. A friend of Silversink Sam sells them for $20 in the U.S.
What a useless toy, but with impressive "James Bondish" coolness :cool:

u guys are nuts just check out the selection at jameco and install it in the back of the case or something.

sadly canadian customs loves picking me apart...

I've gotten away with no customs on 2 things... a cpu, and a Gold Finger device... that's it...

the rest the charge insane duties

Back