• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bios flash with external hard drive?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cabose1227

I don't have a floppy drive and I need to flash a ip35-e bios, I have a external hard drive and I would like to know if that would work. also could it be done with a cd? thanks.

what you want to do is burn rom file to the cd then use the "alt-f2" when it starts to boot up. this will then load the built in flash util, now keep in mind this util is looking for a set name for the rom file. do the alt f2 method first to get the name of the file then burn the rom file to it. im not sure why i didnt see your thread earlier, hope this helps!

Last edited:
its not that hard to do, i did it on the IP35-E board and did it when IP35-pro needed bios 16 for the 45nm dually.

Just curous, but does the motheboard come with a winflashing utility? Dont most Asus, Abit, and such have winflashing utilities? Im not sure of Intel boards because I hardly ever use them.

I know they are not the best idea. It's just a suggestion. The few I have done have worked out pretty well but didnt have the dos utility.

I had about half dozen good flash but then ..... You roll the dice you take your chances. It is an easy process, no doubt about that.

The easiest safest way is to put the bios file on a thumb drive, boot into the bios, and then use the "Asus EZ Flash 2" utility. But you need a thumb drive. :attn:

Back