• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gickity Goo in the waterloop.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AA01

Registered
What happens when you get lazy and dont maintain your loop? This:
P1010163.jpg
My open loop evaporative cooler started running a touch hot, so i cracked it open and thats what i found. I had constantly been feeding the loop water and noticed the flow slowing up. The housing on the submersable pump gave out to the pressure after a while, so I had to take it on. I guess its my fault for putting it off. Lession learned on maintainance, but i figured i would see if anyone else has any interesting stories of such abominations, after neglected maintainance.

was it just water that was in it? Was it Tap water? Distilled water? Did you up radiator fluid in it, etc.?

was it just water that was in it? Was it Tap water? Distilled water? Did you up radiator fluid in it, etc.?

It was tap water treated with denatured alcohol. It has been about a year since i cleaned it. It uses an evaporative cooler (aka bong cooler) so the loop is directly open to outside air. Stuff gets in and much water evaporates but it cools very well when maintained.......when maintained.....

how bad did the temps get?

Well the last time i booted it, i couldnt get the temp software open before it shut down from thermal overheat. So i really dunno. At that point almost all flow had stopped so i wasnt aout to try my luck anymore.

Dude lol if it's a bong cooler you KNOW you gotta check that stuff! Probably should have used distilled water, tap water still has minerals and crap in it beyond just bacteria.

I love bong cooling though, it's pretty cool, I only ran mine for a month til I had to tear it down, but it was fun as hell.

Holy pond scum Batman! That is just nasty man, I almost lost my lunch on that one... if I had eaten lunch...

Last edited:
Im just wondering will tygon silver will make it maintence free even though its an "open loop".

You could add chemcials but some stuff like chlorine will evaporate faster than the water. ie becomes less and less concentrated and eventually the stuff will start to grow again.

There's not a whole lot that you can do as far as adding chemicals to an evaporative cooling setup, It's usually limited to some kind of algaecide + distilled water, Maybe some bleach. Other people put other stuff in them, You just have to keep in mind that you'll be breathing whatever you put in it.

xtkxhom3r heres a link to some pics

Found this on the first page of that link lol

bet some of those other pics can be credited to OCF members too.

Im just wondering will tygon silver will make it maintence free even though its an "open loop".

You could add chemcials but some stuff like chlorine will evaporate faster than the water. ie becomes less and less concentrated and eventually the stuff will start to grow again.

There's not a whole lot that you can do as far as adding chemicals to an evaporative cooling setup, It's usually limited to some kind of algaecide + distilled water, Maybe some bleach. Other people put other stuff in them, You just have to keep in mind that you'll be breathing whatever you put in it.

xtkxhom3r heres a link to some pics

You don't want to add serious chemicals like chlorine and bleach to an open loop, mainly one based on evaporation like a bong cooler. You wouldn't only have evaporated water in the air but whatever chemicals you added, you don't want to be breathing that stuff.

One of the Bong cooling stickies recommends using distilled and adding rubbing alcohol (just a cap full) every few weeks. I did this for a month and had no issues. Seriously though, don't use chemicals, you don't want to breath that stuff. I would imagine you wouldn't want bacteria forming in the water either though, cause that could get airborne. The basic idea here is to just keep an eye on your loop.

Wow...that's pretty gross. :p Do you by any chance smoke, have pets, or have your system in a basement with your bong going by chance?

Back