• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5Q-E won't save changes in BIOS - what about yours?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NewbieOneKenobi

Wonder if anyone else has the same problem. I've heard I'm not alone in reporting the newest Asus mobos working in strange ways. For example, with some BIOS versions my mobo will put me in crash-safe and keep insisting the BIOS is damaged. Flash several times (more than 10 generally cuts it...) and done. But at some other times, it just won't write settings to BIOS. No crash-safe, no nothing, just a clean boot with no settings changed. Honestly, just how careless are they to release such unfinished products and software?

Hmm, have you tried a clear cmos? Test the cmos battery? Usually if one of my boards display that type of behavior, I would try these 2 things out. If they fail, then indeed the board is damaged.

I had similar problems with a p35 ds3l, but none so far with the p5q-e. It required me to remove the cmos battery, unplug all of the power, put a jumper on the cmos clear, and let it sit overnight. For some reason the cmos wasn't clearing right.

It works now, for some strange reason, after I applied all the changes one by one, saving and rebooting each time. Before, it would attempt to reset but it wouldn't boot when I tried all at once. At that point, I had to change CPU fan settings to invoke the fail-safe mechanism. After that, it would boot but it wouldn't save changes.

Perhaps something's wrong with the newest BIOS. I've noticed I can't change the CPU multiplier from Auto, even though it still says unlocked and I remember I could change it in previous versions.

I've had a problem with my P5Q-E, not the same one though. Sometimes when it reboots after the first boot with new BIOS settings it gets stuck, fans whirring but no one's home. Turning it off & on has no effect and I must unplug the power for a few seconds. When it boots back up CMOS has been cleared. Sounds like a possible battery problem now that I've summarized it. Flashing the BIOS helps for a few days but it recurs now and then if and only if I change BIOS settings.

I am having a similar problem. I moved my whole system from one case to another. Only change was a new pci-e sound blaster card instead of a pci one. I thought that was a problem when I put everything back together b/c it wouldn't boot at all so I flashed to the most recent bios. It turned out to be my power on cable was on my IDE lite jumper....but I digress.

Now, I can't get a reliable reboot if I make any changes to the bios. If I change ANYTHING, it will not reboot after I save changes and exit...it just hangs. I can't ctl-alt-del or hit the reset button, or even hard reboot from the power button. I have to turn off the power supply and wait for a few seconds then restart. Sometimes it will boot my system with the CPU at 1.6 GHz instead of 2.66, sometimes all the default settings are back, sometimes it will keep the settings before I tried to save any settings and run just fine. It's annoying and frustrating.

Should I flash back to the previous bios? Could something in my system be hooked up wrong preventing the reset and restart? I just noticed my legacy floppy drive isn't working.

Thanks.

Sounds like it's horribly unstable!

I have an Asus P5Q series motherboard and the only time the BIOS would get stuck and be forced to unplug it, with it then going to C.P.R. mode, was when the RAM divider was wrong.

-> I just was required to underclock the RAM before rasing the FSB.

--> *Do not use "Auto" for the RAM frequency setting!*

Sorry to necro this thread but after a couple of years I still have this problem. Except these last times it has increased, as in every boot requires F1 or F2 (including saved defaults).

I would replace the CR2032 battery. I think it's time to replace the CMOS battery. (3 years+)

Thanks for trying to help. I had replaced the battery actually, it still didn't help. I remember replacing the battery several weeks or months after buying this box, it didn't help either.

This time, after replacing the PSU (from the 500W Tagan to a 650W OCZ ZS) and putting rubber washers in a couple of places, I've never been able to save BIOS successully since putting the computer together.

Tried the following to no avail:
– replacing the battery
– CMOS reset via jumper (both 10 secs and 10 minutes)
– CMOS reset via jumper with battery removal
– removing mobo from box to see if there weren't any shorts (same result)
- putting mobo back without rubber washers
- flashing BIOS (I've regained the AZ Flash 2 option in Tools submenu in BIOS but that's it).

The only improvement is that the date is no longer forgotten, not even if I switch PSU off. But I still get, "Please enter SETUP to recover BIOS settings." (Then F1 for setup and F2 for defaults.) Regardless whatever I do, I get the same message again.

The previous version (i.e. before today) was CMOS Checksum Invalid IIRC and was pretty selective/random, unlike now (never fails to appear).

Same scenario on ASUS P6x58d

I broke the cardinal rule of "if it ain't broke don't jack with it" and updated the BIOS on my ASUS P6x58d Premium. Prior to "upgrading" I had OC'd to 4ghz 200x20 using Intel Extreme Tuner utility. After BIOS update IET fails saying it couldn't update some settings. When I try to manually change settings in BIOS they appear to save without error but upon reboot reset to default values. Note I am not getting any "OC failed hit F1" messages or anything like that the settings just don't stay.

Tried many times just making incremental changes and it always reverts.

And please enable CPU load line calibration if it randomly fails to POST. (You sometimes just get fans and nothing else.) (Especially when the PC's been off for hours and fails to boot on first try.)

Back