• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5Q-E won't save changes in BIOS - what about yours?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Another bump after three years. In short, I've got the mobo to actually save some settings, by enabling the overvoltage jumper and doing a deep CMOS reset (30 minuts or so) and disabling floppy as a boot device.

However, I can't get the mobo to save the settings and properly post whenever I change the 'tuner' settings away from auto. In some cases it will save a voltage change and post, but not always. Once, I got the processor to post at 4.0GHz before the F1 message, but I couldn't repeat even that later.

I've tried with the following, to no avail:

– manually set FSB/mem ration
– load line calibration enabled
– RAM write training etc. disabled (for enhanced OC ability)
– enabling or disabling, high and low settings for some of the tweaks (like memory tuner)

Nothing really works.

Anything I may be missing?

It has two BIOS chips, both would have to be damaged. I don't get any errors when updating BIOS (i.e. saving to one).
Not true. Only one has to be damaged. The backup bios chip gets it's image from the primary one. If the primary one is bad, so is the backup image.
Because you don't get an error doesn't mean crap. The chip is getting a good flash in the softwares eyes. If the chip doesn't store the flash properly, that's the chips fault, not the flash.
BTW, for those who think their board is invincible because it has dual bios's, think twice. I've killed both bios chips in one boot many times just by over overclocking the ram. :p

Not true. Only one has to be damaged. The backup bios chip gets it's image from the primary one. If the primary one is bad, so is the backup image.
Because you don't get an error doesn't mean crap. The chip is getting a good flash in the softwares eyes. If the chip doesn't store the flash properly, that's the chips fault, not the flash.
BTW, for those who think their board is invincible because it has dual bios's, think twice. I've killed both bios chips in one boot many times just by over overclocking the ram. :p

Makes sense. :) I'll be getting another P5Q-E then, just to check, unless I can get the ROMs cheap enough to make a difference.

Hi, guys. Replaced the mobo with the exact same model, used, for about 40 bucks (fooling around with ROM sticks would have cost at least half that and more hassle). Scalped Wolf is trotting along at 4 GHz and laughing at it, with better temps than I had at stock speed before the replacement. The funky A-DATA Vitesta sticks are giving me almost a thousand. Yay.

Time to do some cable management and play Lord of the Bearings™.

Back