• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5GC-MX--sound driver will not install

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dreamstalker

I have a rig here with a P5GC-MX mobo and Windows XP. The sound driver (Realtek) does not seem to want to install properly. The only error I get is "install failure!" The copy on the Asus driver CD was the first one that gave me the problem, I tried downloading it directly from their site with the same non-results on all versions. Uninstall of the existing drivers and clean reinstall was done each time, no change.

Ideas? This is the bench rig so I could care less about the sound, but the shop owner wants zero problems on the device driver list (he's also been known to break installs I've done to "test" me...the irony there is that sometimes things wind up breaking so badly I can't undo them as easily as he believes and he can't recall what he did).

I figured it out. Asus and M$ each have their own HD audio driver, if either found that the other one existed neither would install or work. Fix involved a rollback to pre-SP3, uninstall the Windows driver which didn't want to leave, install the Asus one and then reinstall SP3 (I could have used a reg tweak, but didn't want the Assistant thinking I was zomghacking, also if she decided to get curious I didn't want any distractions that could really bollux things). Sheesh.

(when I apprised the shop owner of what the problem was and what I did to fix it, the only comment was "well that is something you have to learn"...um, you didn't even know what the issue was :rolleyes: )

Back