• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

gtx 260 Temps & Fan Speed Control

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

don'tknow

Just installed an EVGA gtx 260 Superclocked Edition and it seems like it's running too hot, increasing my case temp. I went into Rivatuner, enabled adjustment of the Auto Fan Speed Control Rule values from the Power User tab, then in the Low-level system settings I changed them to this:

Duty Cycle Min: 40
Duty Cycle Max: 100
T min: 50
T range: 10
T operating: 60
T low limit: 50
T high limit: 65

Non-OC'd temps at full load are 65C, at idle 54C. Ambient temp 45C since I installed this card... was at 40- previously. My CPU temp hasn't gone up though, ~37C idle and ~55C full load, Opteron180 @ 2.8ghz.

Anyone else think this is too high, and/or can recommend some better values for the fan speed control? Or is 54C supposed to be normal idle temp? I never went around checking everyone's idle temps so I don't know for sure.. but the load temp should be fine since I see tons of people with 70C+ and no stability issues, I think?

My case has good ventilation; 2x 120mm fans, one back and one front, and 1 80mm side fan. CPU cooled by Xigmatek HDT-S1283 and GPU is on stock cooler. All my cables are bundled and out of the way of case fans.

I'll be messing with those settings meanwhile and post back updates. I'm assuming that some people will likely tell me to just set the fan speed to a fixed 80% or 100%. The reason I don't want to do that is because I don't like my fan running at high speed when it's idle, since overtime that'll wear out the fan much faster and I'm kind of not comfortable with it even though EVGA has lifetime warranty (I'm weird like that). And it'll make it a little easier to sleep at night if my PC is on for downloading.

now I set them to:

Duty Cycle Min: 50
Duty Cycle Max: 100
T min: 45
T range: 10
T operating: 55
T low limit: 45
T high limit: 60

and GPU temps went down to 51C idle, 63C load, Ambient 42C.

Think I'll just bump the Duty Cycle Min up to 55 and settle for that. o_O

I use EVGA precision with a set fan speed of 85% with an antec 900 case. the card is clocked at 750/2250 and idles at 35c loads at 51c.

I set the min speed to 85% and it got my idle temps down to 48C, ambient 39C. Then I took the case off, and that made it 46C idle, 38C amb.

Last night I played Crysis for a few hours and then checked my temps: GPU 66C load, CPU 58C load (doesn't usually go this high.

I'm concluding the problem must be with my cooling somewhere. Checking over my stuff, I might have found 2 possible causes. The 80mm side fan is actually blowing air outwards, not in. Can't remember if I even noticed that back when I bought this case a few years ago... probably didn't. The other problem is the vid card is on top of my motherboard's chipset fan, covering about half of it. And the part of the card which covers the chipset fan, is the part where the gpu fan is. So the GPU fan is perpendicular to my board's chipset fan. Ugh.

Going to continue this thread in the Cooling section since it isn't really a GPU issue, I think. One question though, is the ASUS GTX260 equipped with better cooling, or is it the same as the EVGA one? Might be another factor.

Back