• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

paint help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

forgoten

Registered
ok, i've painted plastics in my car and what not... and have had some problems with it not wanting to stick!:mad:

sooo, i decided i want to paint my keyboard. and eventually my monitor. but the keyboard first. 1: i use it alot, obviously, so it can't come off easily 2: its plastic, duh; another no brainer, 3: i gota cover up this damn microsoft lable!!!!

help, what kind of paint?:confused:

I just used normal spray paint from the hardware store on my MS natural ergonomic keyboard. After carefully taking it apart, and laying out the pieces the way they go back in, scrub it clean in the sink with comet and a scotch brite pad. It doesn't really need much scrubbing, but I found comet does a bang up job for paint prep. Don't touch the plastic after cleaning.
I didn't use primer, but you can find a good plastic primer in the auto paint section at Meijer's or Auto Zone. It's made for plastic bumpers and such.
Two coats of paint, with one day drying time between coats. This will give the toughest finish. I did a third and fourth coat from 3 feet away...this kept it from being too shiny, and blends with the origional texture better.

Be carefull taking it apart and laying out the pieces, It took me an hour to figure out which membrane went where (mine has four).

Happy painting.

Back