Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21
  1. #1
    Moderator/ Silver Paste Taster© Silversinksam's Avatar
    10 Year Badge
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Sunshine State, USA

    Question Where to upload and share large video files?

    Just trying to help a relative in regard to where to upload and share large video files?
    Aside from the obvious sites like Youtube or your ISP's file hosting, what service do you guys use?

    Appreciate any advise you could give me.
    -15 May 2012: On Hiatus helping bees and the planet at the moment

    -You have over 101 signatures and Can't see the classifieds??? Click this link.

    My Heatware

  2. #2
    Epic Fail Guy JamesXP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    England
    Free?

    megaupload
    rapidshare
    4share
    and a few others lyin around.
    i5 3570K @ 4.5GHz
    Thermalright Macho 120
    ASRock Z77 Pro4
    8GB Kingston HyperX 1600MHz
    128GB Samsung 830 SSD
    EVGA GTX770 ACX
    EVGA Supernova 750G2
    Corsair 650D

  3. #3
    How large do you mean? Sendspace works well for sub-300mb. If you're talking dvd quality though, you'll likely be better off finding an exclusively paid service.
    I have a fishy stick!

  4. #4
    Moderator/ Silver Paste Taster© Silversinksam's Avatar
    10 Year Badge
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Sunshine State, USA
    It's just for uploading short family videos, free would be good, but if there's a pay for service thats reasonable that would work as well, I'll pass this info along as well to my cousin as you guys weigh in on this, he's the one that asked me what's a decent service for short home videos.
    -15 May 2012: On Hiatus helping bees and the planet at the moment

    -You have over 101 signatures and Can't see the classifieds??? Click this link.

    My Heatware

  5. #5
    Epic Fail Guy JamesXP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    England
    Also if you have a pretty naf upload speed, I bet just making DVD's and mailing it to them would be more viable..
    i5 3570K @ 4.5GHz
    Thermalright Macho 120
    ASRock Z77 Pro4
    8GB Kingston HyperX 1600MHz
    128GB Samsung 830 SSD
    EVGA GTX770 ACX
    EVGA Supernova 750G2
    Corsair 650D

  6. #6
    Member RangerXLT8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Asheville NC
    SSS I have an FTP server which no one uses except me. I can set you up with it, it's free, I use it to practice for me learning apache etc. I can upload at 90KB\s and have about 180gigs open.
    Core 2 Xeon 3210 Quad Core 2.4GHz
    Gigabyte EP-35C-DS3R
    Patriot Viper DDR3 4GB 6-6-6-20
    ATI HD4870 512MB
    OCZ Vertex 2 120GB
    2x150GB Raptors
    1x320GB Western Digital HDD
    LiteOn DVDRW
    Heatware 44-0-0

  7. #7
    Moderator/ Silver Paste Taster© Silversinksam's Avatar
    10 Year Badge
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Sunshine State, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesXP View Post
    Also if you have a pretty naf upload speed, I bet just making DVD's and mailing it to them would be more viable..
    That defeats the whole purpose, the goal is to allow family members all over the world to view the family videos.


    Quote Originally Posted by RangerXLT8 View Post
    SSS I have an FTP server which no one uses except me. I can set you up with it, it's free, I use it to practice for me learning apache etc. I can upload at 90KB\s and have about 180gigs open.
    Appreciate the offer my friend, but it has to be something permanent that won't expire. (otherwise I'd just upload and host them using Comcast or his ISP)
    -15 May 2012: On Hiatus helping bees and the planet at the moment

    -You have over 101 signatures and Can't see the classifieds??? Click this link.

    My Heatware

  8. #8
    Member ratbuddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Hartford, CT
    Heatware Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by Silversinksam View Post
    Just trying to help a relative in regard to where to upload and share large video files?
    Aside from the obvious sites like Youtube or your ISP's file hosting, what service do you guys use?

    Appreciate any advise you could give me.
    Photobucket pro is $40 a year and gives you 10GB storage with unmetered downloads. Dunno if that's enough for you..

    edit: Check out Phanfare as well, unlimited storage in the $55 a year plan, 2GB/10 minutes per video max.. http://www.phanfare.com/staticpages/pricing.aspx
    Last edited by ratbuddy; 09-25-08 at 11:39 AM.
    HTPC - 2500k - 212+ - GA-Z68MX-UD2H-B3 - 2x4GB G.Skill DDR3-1600 - Crucial MX100 512GB, Spinpoint F3 1TB w/M4 64GB ISRT Cache
    MSI GTX 970 4GB - Silverstone LC10B-E - Corsair RM550

    -----
    Main - X3 450 - ASRock A790GMH/128M 790GX - 2x2GB G.Skill 4-4-4-12 - Crucial MX100 256GB, 2xWD Green 1TB
    Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB - Silverstone TJ08 - Corsair CX400W

    Nothin' up my sleeve..

  9. #9
    freakdiablo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Here
    Ugh, if you had asked a few weeks ago, filesavr had a free weekend type thing where they were letting people sign up for life for there 250gb hosting option for free.
    Main: MOBO: MSI P67A-G45, CPU: i7 2600k w/ VenX (4.4ghz @ 1.33v), RAM: 2x8gb Kingston HyperX Blu Red Series DDR3 1600, GFX: Galaxy GTX670 GC, PSU: OCZ 1250w ZX, CASE: Corsair 500R, HDD: 120gb Samsung 840, WD 4TB Black
    Quick, Cheap, and Dirty NAS: Sempron 140, Hyper 212+ with 800RPM Scythe Slipstreams, 4gb ram, 5x2tb Hitachis in RAID5, Seasonic SSR-360GP, Antec 300, Biostar Tpower motherboard, APC BR700G UPS, Buffalo WZR-HP-AG300H router (Upgrade in the works)
    Laptop: Lenovo Thinkpad X220 HTPC: Zotac ZBOX AD04-U w/ 6GB Samsung 1333mhz, 64GB Adata Premier Pro SP900
    Protobox-1: Raspberry Pi Mod. B Rev. 2, 2.5" LCD, 12v 1A PSU, Aluminum RatShack project box, GPIO breakout board

    Project 1UP || Interested in the performance of the new AMD AM1 socket? Ask me, I'll test it!
    Bored of games? Nothing good on internet radio or youtube? Dont waste your GHz, find them before they find us. SETI

  10. #10
    I don't know about Filesavr being a permanent solution - or all that secure.

    That said, I did sign up for a free account and it has been working well so far (for unimportant backups only).
    I have a fishy stick!

  11. #11
    I usually use sendspace, works great. There's no timer you have to wait for to download files like on rapidshare and similar sites, either.

  12. #12
    Member TalRW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Heatware Profile
    Do you have a computer that is on 24/7. Could you set up bittorrent on it to share the file? Then you could hav eall your family DL it from torrent.
    CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3400+
    MOBO: Asus K8N4-E Deluxe
    HARD DRIVE:
    MEMORY: 3.0GiB
    POWER:
    VIDEOCARD:
    GNU/Linux Distribution: Trisquel 5.0 (Dagda)
    Support software freedom! Try one of the nine FSF endorsed distros.
    Got a wireless network? Secure it!

  13. #13
    Member curtis1552's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Dayton, Ohio
    What about setting up a private torrent?
    I believe that Azreus/Vuse can run torrents that don't have a tracker.
    Desk Puter - Foxconn C51GU01; AMD X2 3800+ - Dual 2.0Ghz; 1.5gb RAM; Nvidia 6600GT pcie; Win 7 64 bit / Mint 9
    NetBook - Acer Aspire One D250: 160Gb HDD: Win 7 / Backtrack 4 / Mint Debian / MeeGo
    Server Puter - Supermicro X5DAE; Dual Processor - E7505 XEON - Dual 2.66Ghz; 2gb RAM: Nvidia 6600GT agp; Win 7 32 bit / Mint 9.
    HEAT
    Restarting a computer is not how you fix a problem...
    I suffer from
    Fenestraephobia
    I don't think being turned on while turning it on is too high on the creepy list - freakdiablo

  14. #14
    Moderator/ Silver Paste Taster© Silversinksam's Avatar
    10 Year Badge
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Sunshine State, USA
    Appreciate the leads and the info, you guys rock!
    -15 May 2012: On Hiatus helping bees and the planet at the moment

    -You have over 101 signatures and Can't see the classifieds??? Click this link.

    My Heatware

  15. #15
    Member technician's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Use Amazon S3. Dirt cheap and $.15/GB/month. Can't beat that.
    "Tracer Bullet"
    AMD Phenom II X6 @ 3.2GHz
    Scythe Ninja (Copper)
    ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe (1606 beta BIOS)
    8GB Mushkin XP2 8500 DDR2
    XFX Radeon 5850 1GB
    Mushkin Callisto 240 Deluxe
    WD 2TB 64MB Green
    20X LG DVD/RW
    Cooler Master mid tower
    Windows Vista Ultimate

  16. #16
    Disabled
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Banned Camp
    Well, I have to say that I use youtube for my band videos. The limit is 10 minutes or 100gb whichever is less. Also, if they don't want to share stuff with the world, they can set the account to private status and then the account owner has to authorize individual youtube accounts to view the videos.

    That being said, video can be kind of a complicated thing. Youtube hosts stuff in local data centers all over the world so you get that advantage for DL speeds.

    However, the DL speed is vastly more effected by the work that is done to prepare a video for hosting. If your relative is using a consumer level camera that records to DVD, the DL speed is going to suck a tennis ball through a garden hose if that is uploaded directly to anything like an FTP host or if they use bittorrent.

    Youtube will convert the upload to a much better format but you may have to wait an hour after the upload for the conversion process to go through. So you get the good speed but don't call people on the phone to tell them that you just uploaded new stuff. Also, youtube may not use the best possible settings for the conversion.

    Honestly SSS, I am not getting a good read on how technical to go here but if they do not yet have a camera I would recommend anything that records to miniDV tapes. If you plug the camera into a default install of XP, windows movie maker will just come up automatically and they can capture the whole tape to .wmv in a single pass.

    It also bears noting that movie maker is a pain in the butt to edit clips out of and are also .wmv is one of the formats that put you into waiting for youtube to allow you to tell people when something is ready.

    I can also recommend software if you think that that is reasonable but for brevity, let me stop now.

  17. #17
    Moderator/ Silver Paste Taster© Silversinksam's Avatar
    10 Year Badge
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Sunshine State, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Malpine Walis View Post
    Well, I have to say that I use youtube for my band videos. The limit is 10 minutes or 100gb whichever is less. Also, if they don't want to share stuff with the world, they can set the account to private status and then the account owner has to authorize individual youtube accounts to view the videos.

    That being said, video can be kind of a complicated thing. Youtube hosts stuff in local data centers all over the world so you get that advantage for DL speeds.

    However, the DL speed is vastly more effected by the work that is done to prepare a video for hosting. If your relative is using a consumer level camera that records to DVD, the DL speed is going to suck a tennis ball through a garden hose if that is uploaded directly to anything like an FTP host or if they use bittorrent.

    Youtube will convert the upload to a much better format but you may have to wait an hour after the upload for the conversion process to go through. So you get the good speed but don't call people on the phone to tell them that you just uploaded new stuff. Also, youtube may not use the best possible settings for the conversion.

    Honestly SSS, I am not getting a good read on how technical to go here but if they do not yet have a camera I would recommend anything that records to miniDV tapes. If you plug the camera into a default install of XP, windows movie maker will just come up automatically and they can capture the whole tape to .wmv in a single pass.

    It also bears noting that movie maker is a pain in the butt to edit clips out of and are also .wmv is one of the formats that put you into waiting for youtube to allow you to tell people when something is ready.

    I can also recommend software if you think that that is reasonable but for brevity, let me stop now.
    Malpine, my cousin has a pretty slick digital video cam, (the one that records to the hdd) He's using Youtube at the moment and asked me for alternate sites to upload and host, since I'm dumb as a brick in this area, I thought asking you guys for your suggestions would be wise, so I appreciate your comments and all the rest of the tips from other members as well.

    -15 May 2012: On Hiatus helping bees and the planet at the moment

    -You have over 101 signatures and Can't see the classifieds??? Click this link.

    My Heatware

  18. #18
    I find megashares works pretty well for large files. If you download at night with a download manager you wont have to go through their pesky passport renewal (they have some sort of happy hour downloading at night).
    Innocent and pure hearted evil


    The following people don't suck:
    Kendan, nerdlogic, >HyperlogiK<, Flip-Mode, k3nshin, Frodo Baggins, NewbiePerson, 9mmCensor, Malpine Walis, Rumrunner, DuckDodgers, Silver, Zulu-1

  19. #19
    Member party animal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Saratoga, CA/University of California Irvine
    SSS, if you still need a site, www.adrive.com works well. The speeds are very quick too.

    CPU- Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
    MOBO- DFI ICFX3200
    RAM- 2GB CellShock 1000Mhz 5-5-5-15
    VID- ATi x1950pro
    HDD- Western Digital Raptor 74GB
    Western Digital SE16 320GB
    HEAT

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    KC
    Heatware Profile
    check out http://www.vimeo.com/ (similar to youtube)

    you get 500MB worth of upload a week and it has pretty good quality. you can work around the 500MB a week limit by making multiple accounts and creating channels. We actually did this at work for an event. We had 5 accounts we uploaded videos to then we just added the video's to channels and had the channels embedded into a website for easy access.
    Nova
    AMD FX-8120 | 4x4GB RAM | Visiontek HD4850 | BIOSTAR TA990FXE
    Seasonic S12 620W | WD 640GB Black Edition | 128GB OCZ Petrol
    HTPC Frontend
    OEM Production E350-10B0 | AMD E-350 | 4GB RAM
    Openelec Beta - Eden | 30GB OCZ Agility
    Fileserver
    ASUS E35M1-M PRO | AMD E-350 | 8GB RAM
    Freenas 8 (Customized) | 5x2TB in ZFS RaidZ
    OCForums Metal Club member #3 | Heatware

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •