• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Where to upload and share large video files?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Silversinksam

Moderator/ Silver Paste Taster©
Just trying to help a relative in regard to where to upload and share large video files?
Aside from the obvious sites like Youtube or your ISP's file hosting, what service do you guys use?

Appreciate any advise you could give me.

How large do you mean? Sendspace works well for sub-300mb. If you're talking dvd quality though, you'll likely be better off finding an exclusively paid service.

It's just for uploading short family videos, free would be good, but if there's a pay for service thats reasonable that would work as well, I'll pass this info along as well to my cousin as you guys weigh in on this, he's the one that asked me what's a decent service for short home videos.

Also if you have a pretty naf upload speed, I bet just making DVD's and mailing it to them would be more viable..

SSS I have an FTP server which no one uses except me. I can set you up with it, it's free, I use it to practice for me learning apache etc. I can upload at 90KB\s and have about 180gigs open.

Also if you have a pretty naf upload speed, I bet just making DVD's and mailing it to them would be more viable..

That defeats the whole purpose, the goal is to allow family members all over the world to view the family videos.

SSS I have an FTP server which no one uses except me. I can set you up with it, it's free, I use it to practice for me learning apache etc. I can upload at 90KB\s and have about 180gigs open.

Appreciate the offer my friend, but it has to be something permanent that won't expire. (otherwise I'd just upload and host them using Comcast or his ISP) :(

Just trying to help a relative in regard to where to upload and share large video files?
Aside from the obvious sites like Youtube or your ISP's file hosting, what service do you guys use?

Appreciate any advise you could give me.

Photobucket pro is $40 a year and gives you 10GB storage with unmetered downloads. Dunno if that's enough for you..

edit: Check out Phanfare as well, unlimited storage in the $55 a year plan, 2GB/10 minutes per video max.. http://www.phanfare.com/staticpages/pricing.aspx

Last edited:
Ugh, if you had asked a few weeks ago, filesavr had a free weekend type thing where they were letting people sign up for life for there 250gb hosting option for free.

I don't know about Filesavr being a permanent solution - or all that secure.

That said, I did sign up for a free account and it has been working well so far (for unimportant backups only).

I usually use sendspace, works great. There's no timer you have to wait for to download files like on rapidshare and similar sites, either.

Do you have a computer that is on 24/7. Could you set up bittorrent on it to share the file? Then you could hav eall your family DL it from torrent.

Well, I have to say that I use youtube for my band videos. The limit is 10 minutes or 100gb whichever is less. Also, if they don't want to share stuff with the world, they can set the account to private status and then the account owner has to authorize individual youtube accounts to view the videos.

That being said, video can be kind of a complicated thing. Youtube hosts stuff in local data centers all over the world so you get that advantage for DL speeds.

However, the DL speed is vastly more effected by the work that is done to prepare a video for hosting. If your relative is using a consumer level camera that records to DVD, the DL speed is going to suck a tennis ball through a garden hose if that is uploaded directly to anything like an FTP host or if they use bittorrent.

Youtube will convert the upload to a much better format but you may have to wait an hour after the upload for the conversion process to go through. So you get the good speed but don't call people on the phone to tell them that you just uploaded new stuff. Also, youtube may not use the best possible settings for the conversion.

Honestly SSS, I am not getting a good read on how technical to go here but if they do not yet have a camera I would recommend anything that records to miniDV tapes. If you plug the camera into a default install of XP, windows movie maker will just come up automatically and they can capture the whole tape to .wmv in a single pass.

It also bears noting that movie maker is a pain in the butt to edit clips out of and are also .wmv is one of the formats that put you into waiting for youtube to allow you to tell people when something is ready.

I can also recommend software if you think that that is reasonable but for brevity, let me stop now.

Well, I have to say that I use youtube for my band videos. The limit is 10 minutes or 100gb whichever is less. Also, if they don't want to share stuff with the world, they can set the account to private status and then the account owner has to authorize individual youtube accounts to view the videos.

That being said, video can be kind of a complicated thing. Youtube hosts stuff in local data centers all over the world so you get that advantage for DL speeds.

However, the DL speed is vastly more effected by the work that is done to prepare a video for hosting. If your relative is using a consumer level camera that records to DVD, the DL speed is going to suck a tennis ball through a garden hose if that is uploaded directly to anything like an FTP host or if they use bittorrent.

Youtube will convert the upload to a much better format but you may have to wait an hour after the upload for the conversion process to go through. So you get the good speed but don't call people on the phone to tell them that you just uploaded new stuff. Also, youtube may not use the best possible settings for the conversion.

Honestly SSS, I am not getting a good read on how technical to go here but if they do not yet have a camera I would recommend anything that records to miniDV tapes. If you plug the camera into a default install of XP, windows movie maker will just come up automatically and they can capture the whole tape to .wmv in a single pass.

It also bears noting that movie maker is a pain in the butt to edit clips out of and are also .wmv is one of the formats that put you into waiting for youtube to allow you to tell people when something is ready.

I can also recommend software if you think that that is reasonable but for brevity, let me stop now.
Malpine, my cousin has a pretty slick digital video cam, (the one that records to the hdd) He's using Youtube at the moment and asked me for alternate sites to upload and host, since I'm dumb as a brick in this area, I thought asking you guys for your suggestions would be wise, so I appreciate your comments and all the rest of the tips from other members as well.

thank%20you%20smiley.gif

I find megashares works pretty well for large files. If you download at night with a download manager you wont have to go through their pesky passport renewal (they have some sort of happy hour downloading at night).

check out http://www.vimeo.com/ (similar to youtube)

you get 500MB worth of upload a week and it has pretty good quality. you can work around the 500MB a week limit by making multiple accounts and creating channels. We actually did this at work for an event. We had 5 accounts we uploaded videos to then we just added the video's to channels and had the channels embedded into a website for easy access.

Back