• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Comp stops giving display s754

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blueswitch

So out of the blue one day my computer fails to show a display. It powers on...I get nothing on screen. I've tried the monitor that works, I tried swapping my video card and still nothing. I tried resetting the CMOS with a jumper...nothing. I get no beep codes, even yanking the RAM and turning it on I get no beep codes. Although my HDD lights sit a solid color, this is a DFI NF4X Infinity board.

anyone have any ideas....I really thought it was a video issue..unles my PCIx16 slot is bad I don't have a PCI card to test that

Odd you don't get any beep codes w/out the RAM. Of all things I would think that would still error out ...

I know right.....unless the mobo is dead up until the point where all it can do is run current through it so everything turns on...but in reality it's bricked mobo.:shrug:

Its a dead board. Try a different power supply first just to be sure but......It's dead Jim!

If that thing is still in the case I'd try pulling it to test on a bench. When you get rigs that old there's no telling what might have gotten in where to create a fault. Over time stuff happens and one little spec of damp dust (or something else equally trivial) in the wrong place is all it takes.

I also agree using a different PSU (if you've got one) is worth a shot before going any farther ...

If that thing is still in the case I'd try pulling it to test on a bench. When you get rigs that old there's no telling what might have gotten in where to create a fault. Over time stuff happens and one little spec of damp dust (or something else equally trivial) in the wrong place is all it takes.

I also agree using a different PSU (if you've got one) is worth a shot before going any farther ...

I'll try it....I don't have a spare PSU...but that appears to be fine, I mean it powers up everything but I'll try taking the mobo out and doing an on the table boot once I get home.

So correct me if I'm wrong but if the mobo is dead...unless I get the exact same motherboard I'm looking at having to reinstall Windows XP right?..because Windows won't be able to adjust to new hardware correct?

Last edited:
Appears to be fine and works properly can be two different things so make sure you try the different power supply.
As long as your replacement board is close you can swap out the board. ie different lan or audio chip but it has to be close on the chipset for it to work out well. Otherwise you just screw around trying to fix things that aren't working and you could have done a full reinstall in less time with better success.

Do you have a volt meter instead???

As for drivers - chances are XP Pro will already have basic drivers for a board that old. But even if it doesn't you don't have to reinstall - I don't know why everybody keeps saying that. I mean, OK it's not easy, but if you've got even half the programs I've got it's worth spending an awful lot of time getting new drivers installed. IMO - reinstalling programs and setting them up is the real PITA ...

...ok so I removed the mobo and the PSU..and tried to run it on my desk....same thing still happens, now I did notice that my CPU's heat sink wasn't really glued onto the processor...I mean it was clamped on but usually the thermal grease bonds pretty good to the heat sink...it basically lifted right off with no resistance. Is it possible I burned up the CPU?...I don't know if a mobo will give you any sport of display with a dead CPU or no CPU in socket. I booted with the CPU not in socket and I got the same results, which doesn't say a lot...but...if anyone else can confirm whats suppose to happen when you boot with no CPU..

Nothing happens... the cpu is required to get anything. If you still haven't try a different power supply honestly though its probably a dead motherboard.

yeah I think I can get my hands on another PSU from work and try it tonight but I bet it's the mobo too.

yeah so I finally got around to trying a different power supply....same results...maybe it's just that the PCIe16 port is bad...thus no display but is why things still power on and all that, and I'm just not getting a display. Although even if that is the case...it might as well be a dead mobo...

Back