• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

White Screen of Death

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

don'tknow

Ok, I've been having problems with artifacts in both Crysis games. Recently upgraded my cpu/mobo/ram and it's still happening. Can't figure out what the cause is.

Previously with my old system (and before gpu upgrade) Crysis was like, unplayable (low fps). When I upgraded to a gtx 260, I tried playing a while... eventually artifacts start showing up in the form of polygons, and overtime the gun I'm holding got 'warped' and eventually became a big mess of polygons, then the game froze and 20-30 sec later the nv4 error showed up. It was on an old nforce4 motherboard. I updated the chipset drivers with a much newer, modded driver pack and that seemed to make an improvement. All games ran fine for a day, then started getting some mild artifacts in Crysis, not nearly as bad as before. Then tried playing UT3 and overtime it also built up some artifacts on the gun, but not as bad as before the chipset update and it didn't freeze or error. Changing to a few different drivers didn't fix the issue.

Then I upgrade my cpu/mobo/ram with e8400/p5q pro/2gb ddr2 1066 gskill (I'm on XP Pro 32bit). On a clean WindowsXP install updated to SP3, I run Crysis GPU bench and within the 1st or 2nd loop the screen turns all white and it freezes. It kept doing that every time I tried to run the bench, then I changed the bios settings on the cpu/ram voltages and timings; from Auto, I changed them to the manufacturer's stock values. Also disabled all the extra 'features', C1E and the other stuff, and then the ASUS EPU-6 Engine software. Think I did a few more things, can't remember, but now Crysis GPU test can run without the freeze. So then I start up Warhead... and you can guess what happens. Within a few mins of play the screen goes all white and freezes, then unfreezes and lets me continue playing in crazy artifact land. Everything white with pink spots and some blue.. someone posted a screenshot of that recently in another post, I'm getting the same thing. Kept happening as soon as my temps reached 65-66C. All this is with 178.13 drivers.

After that I updated the drivers on my motherboard's chipset and tried warhead again, loading the same save state and doing the same thing as before... it let me play longer than usual, and my temps are getting up to 72C with fan at 100%. Then it gave the white screen again, after 15-20 mins of play. Now I have my drivers downgraded to 177.41 and have played for 3+ hours without any artifacts, but that probably won't last. Temps are maxing out at 73C. Still can't figure out what the cause is but there is some change or buildup overtime which eventually causes artifacts/freezing, and it's not heat. Updating mobo chipset drivers and using different forceware drivers seems to reset this buildup, but not for long.

Like I said, it didn't last; I ran 3dmark06 overnight on loop, got up 6 hours later to check and it had crashed to desktop. Nv4 error again, and everything was in 4-bit color (DirectX crashed with it). Installed the latest DirectX9 August redist again, also downclocked it from its default SC speeds (forgot to mention it's an EVGA GTX 260 SC) to normal GTX 260 speeds. Ran Crysis GPU bench and it white screened within 15-20 sec. Tried a few different drivers with no luck.

Just now I cleaned my drivers completely with the uninstall > reboot in safe mode > wipe with driver cleaner pro > reboot. Then installed the 178.13 again, since all other previous drivers didn't fix the issue. Didn't touch any settings in nvidia control panel this time, and it's still set to run at normal gtx 260 speeds (576/1242/1998) with RivaTuner. It passed at least 8-9 loops of Crysis GPU test so far, I'll do some gaming and post back when it white screens again.

Most likely have to RMA it but I really hate waiting weeks and weeks for them to ship me another vid card, which could also be faulty (read some cases of this happening and I hate testing my luck since a 0.1% chance of something happening on average is translated into 70% of it happening to me). Going to try severely underclocking it next, to be further boggled when it white screens again.

Anyone at all have more ideas on what I should try? Are there maybe any bios settings for the P5Q Pro that could destabilize the GPU?

Can you get ATITool (yes I know you have a nVidia card) and do the "scan for artifacts" option? My guess is either you don't have the power supply to handle the card or that card is dead/dying.

Can you please give FULL system specs?

Corsair 550VX PSU
120GB + 60GB + 750GB Hard Drives
CD+DVD RW Combo Drive
3x USB Devices; keyboard + mouse and wireless USB adapter.

The rest of the specs I mentioned already: e8400 + P5Q Pro + 2GB Gskill DDR1066 RAM. All on stock clocks.

My PSU is more than enough according to the power consumption calculator (don't have my bookmarks to give the link; they're on the hard drive with the old installation).

I've just played with downclocking and it's still white screening. 400/860/690 clocks aren't working. This card is DoA, nothing I do is going to fix it. How long does it take for EVGA to do an RMA... like 3 weeks? a month?

I'm actually considering stepping up to the core 216 just because it's a more recent fabrication and maybe lower chance of failure. Don't care for the +2 fps, I just want the damn thing to be stable.

My buddy just got one of those 216-260's from EVGA. He's only had it for two days so we'll see. I know it's huge, loud, and runs a bit warm. But that isn't unheard of with video cards. I think a cooler would be a good idea for him.

I'm a cheapass so, getting an advanced RMA now... 2nd day shipping with discount is only $12. I think they also needed the original invoice for a step-up, which I don't have anymore (it's been sent for mail-in rebate) and a few other complications I forgot.

Going to assume I'll get my new card on monday or tuesday.

Once this crap is fixed I can finally start OC'ing my e8400 (still have it stock to be 100% sure none of my problems are caused by the CPU).

Back