• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GPU Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SniperXX

Ok I am getting ready to build a gpu folding rig and have been really reading up on different cards. Originally I was looking at four of the 8800GS or 9600GSO which apparently are the same from what I read...

Now since EVGA is selling their B stock I am stuck debating some of the other cards. Can someone recommend what I should get? Im looking to spend a max of $400 on the gpus due to my budget for the rig. I just don't know if I should do 4 cards or 2 of the pricer cards or something else. Any suggestions since I know we got alot of gpu folders here already. :)

EVGA Link: http://www.evga.com/products/bstock.asp

Hell I could even do 4x 9600 gso in the new folding rig and 2 more 9600 gso in my old dual core opteron.. Im just stuck debating..

One thing I don't like about the B-stock is, it has only 90 day warranty. :(

For the same price (after rebate), you can get the same for 2 year warranty on TR models.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130362

There's also ASUS model with an after market cooler...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121251

Hmm even though I hate rebates but thats a good point with warrentys. Does anyone know yet if folding with gpu2 affects the life of the cards? Would that headsink on the back of EVGA one affect 4 of them fitting together though?

Hmm even though I hate rebates but thats a good point with warrentys. Does anyone know yet if folding with gpu2 affects the life of the cards? Would that headsink on the back of EVGA one affect 4 of them fitting together though?

You could heat a small apartment with that rig in the winter.

Haha well I dont run the heater or ac here...

But this will actually be run at work. I got the ok to run it there, woot.

Also, if I went single slot cards would they have problems over heating? Maybe run them in a case like the coolermaster HAF?

Free use of electricity = :attn::clap:
*gets jealous*

That case sure is roomy enough for loads of fans.

My middle card runs 70-74C with fan settings set to 85% while the others are @ low 60's. This is caseless though and have a 120mm fan sitting on top of them.

Hope that gives you an idea temp wise...

Free use of electricity = :attn::clap:
*gets jealous*

That case sure is roomy enough for loads of fans.

My middle card runs 70-74C with fan settings set to 85% while the others are @ low 60's. This is caseless though and have a 120mm fan sitting on top of them.

Hope that gives you an idea temp wise...

It helps working in a small company and being friends with my boss/owner. :)

And those temps arent bad. I usually crank the fans on the gpus to 100% for folding anyways.

Any othre input from other folders?

Back