• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Difference between CPU Temp and Core Temps?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

don'tknow

Just started Orthos to test stability @4GHZ on my e8400 C0. Looking at different temp monitoring software, Real Temp and Core Temp show the same values, and SpeedFan seems to show 5C higher so I put an offset of -5 on each core to make it display the same.

Except, the CPU temp shows 10C lower than the Cores' temps... isn't this abnormal? I read somewhere that the Core temps shouldn't be more than 1-2C higher than the CPU temp...?

qn92xf.jpg

The "CPU" temp is measured by the Motherboard sensor chip, and is the external temp of the CPU socket. Whereas the "Core" temp's are measured by the CPU using an on-die thermal diode, hence they're the internal temp of each CPU core. On Intel processors core temp's are usually at least 10°C-15°C higher than the "CPU" temperature.
Have a look HERE it explains more about Intel C2D/Q/X Thermal Designs

Ok thanks. It seems I'll have to look for a new fan and also try reapplying my TIM in a different way, because my temps are way out of control once I up the vcore.

At 3.6ghz (400x9), 1.25v, Orthos load gives me 60C
At 4.0ghz (500x8), 1.40v, Orthos load gives me 73C .....ouch. And it still errors 13 mins into testing... so I need to further increase the CPU voltage (I've also upped the NB voltage to 1.34v)... I better not, until I fix these temps.

Edit: er forgot to mention my cooler is the Xigmatek HDT-S1283, with the stock fan.

Sounds like the TRUE is calling your name.

Is that much better than my current? From the benchmarks I saw it's almost the same.. but the stock fan I'm using sucks (1450 rpm, 56 cfm) so I just ordered a new one with 110 cfm.

Back