• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is the Real CFM of Xigmatek HDT-S1283's Stock Fan?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

don'tknow

Ok, I'm trying to look for a better 120mm fan than the stock HDT-S1283 fan, but can't seem to find accurate specs on the stock fan to know how to compare it to other fans.

It seems that previously this HSF had a 2200 RPM fan, which was later downgraded to a 1500 RPM fan... the problem is, both instances of these versions show the same CFM. The manufacturer didn't adjust their specs to the 1500 RPM fan, so I don't know what the real specs are.

Both show as 72.1 - 99.6 CFM. I've looked at various sites and can't find any that shows a different spec; so I assume they all show the original 2200 RPM fan's spec... which is wrong for the 1500 RPM fan.

Edit: uh ok, the official site says 56.3 CFM.

Can anyone recommend me the current best 120mm fan? I've been reading other threads but many of them are outdated; I just want the highest performance fan, don't care about LED or noise, for the most part.

Last edited:
There is no "best" out there unless you specify "best in what".

Best in airflow? Delta
Best in quality? Delta/Panaflo
Best in price? Yate Loon
Best in noise level? Panaflo
Best pressure? Delta/Panaflo (basically any 38mm)

hm ok, compare to this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835705040

I think it's new, only 2 reviews, the specs seem decent and it's cheap for a 96 CFM fan. Any suggestions for something better?

By 'best' I meant .... I guess a combination of both airflow and quality. Price isn't a concern unless it's like $30+, willing to spend around $20-25 only if it's very good airflow and quality.

It's for my e8400 CPU, to use with the HDT-S1283 which I already mentioned. Temps going to 73C when I'm trying to OC with the current stock Xigmatek fan.

this one doesn't look bad either, but it's out of stock:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835705025

can't fan any delta on newegg except this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835705050 which supposedly is not for use in PC's o_O

Best I can find for now seems to be this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835705004

Ok scratch the above, I think I've almost made up my mind:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185054
Scythe DFS123812-3000 "ULTRA KAZE" 120 x 38 mm Case Fan - Retail

Just not sure how long that Ultra Kaze will last... 3k RPM can wear it out fast.

Last edited:
There is no "best" out there unless you specify "best in what".

Best in airflow? Delta
Best in quality? Delta/Panaflo
Best in price? Yate Loon
Best in noise level? Panaflo
Best pressure? Delta/Panaflo (basically any 38mm)

Low noise levels on panaflo??? :eek:

I would tend to think s-flex's fluid bearings, nexus/noctau and yate loon all have lower noise than the panaflo for the same CFM on a MCR320. Yes, the panaflo does have higher static pressure but let's compare it on a average restriction radiator, the MCR320.

PS: I will give you my RAM hs size. Exam period right now so kinda busy. Thanks!

I will throw the Sanyo Denki fans into the mix.:clap:
From what I have seen and read they are the GOD of fans.:thup::thup:

Regarding quality build and pressure, they're proven thru time, you can't go wrong with these brands -> Sanyo Denki, Panaflo, Papst/EBM and Delta. ;)

are your temps getting high or do u just think you need a higher cfm fan? i have the same cooler with 1500rpm fan and my quad oc'd to and past 4ghz and this thing the stock fan hasnt let me down yet.

Those fans are insane, they would nearly blow the side off the case.
I liked the listening room gives a good idea of what to expect at various noise levels.:eek:
I think I will stick to something with about 100CFM - 120CFM and about 35 (dB[A])
Just be aware that, unlike water flow, where increasing flow rates above 1.5 gpm has a very diminishing return, increasing air flow has a much more straight line effect.

And see P-Q curve

are your temps getting high or do u just think you need a higher cfm fan? i have the same cooler with 1500rpm fan and my quad oc'd to and past 4ghz and this thing the stock fan hasnt let me down yet.

That's what I'm thinking as well.

'don'tknow', are you sure you don't have a bad mount? What are your ambient temps? What program are you using to read temps? What kind of case do you have, and how is the case flow? Are your cables managed well?

I'm not saying you shouldn't get a higher CFM fan, b/c the stock one does leave a bit to be desired, but you may have other issues causing the unwanted heat. Also, what is the vcore you're using, and at what speed are you getting these 73*C temps?

*I prefer getting a nice high CFM quality fan, and then using a fan controller to keep it quiet when its not needed. Don't go by the specs unless its one of the fans mentioned above like Panaflo or Delta. Many fan manufacturer's stretch the truth when it come to CFM, and dBA ratings.

Just be aware that, unlike water flow, where increasing flow rates above 1.5 gpm has a very diminishing return, increasing air flow has a much more straight line effect.

And see P-Q curve

Thanks for that I will have a good read of the info on the link you have there.:)
I would like very very CFM but the noise becomes a bit unbearable.:eek: I think 100CFM - 120CFM and about 35 (dB[A]) is a good balance.

That's what I'm thinking as well.

'don'tknow', are you sure you don't have a bad mount? What are your ambient temps? What program are you using to read temps? What kind of case do you have, and how is the case flow? Are your cables managed well?

I'm not saying you shouldn't get a higher CFM fan, b/c the stock one does leave a bit to be desired, but you may have other issues causing the unwanted heat. Also, what is the vcore you're using, and at what speed are you getting these 73*C temps?

*I prefer getting a nice high CFM quality fan, and then using a fan controller to keep it quiet when its not needed. Don't go by the specs unless its one of the fans mentioned above like Panaflo or Delta. Many fan manufacturer's stretch the truth when it come to CFM, and dBA ratings.

It's in my other thread here:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=580418

Part of it could be an improper use of TIM and part of it I'm sure is the fan... that stock Xigmatek fan is pretty slow.

73C in Orthos is when I up voltage to 1.425 in BIOS, which shows 1.4 on CPU-Z, at 4 ghz (500x8), also upped NB voltage to 1.34. Still getting errors in Orthos which likely means I need to up the voltage(s) slightly more, but regardless of that my temps are still way too high for my liking. This is on an e8400 C0 stepping, P5Q-Pro board.

I'm using the Crossbow retention bracket and tightened all the screws, so it shouldn't be a bad mount. The way I applied the TIM is in between the heatpipes (to close the gaps) and then one line on each heatpipe. Once the new fan arrives I'm going to take off the heatsink and see if the TIM spread properly or if it's too much... depending on that I'll adjust my application method and redo it.

Last edited:
Apply the TIM for HDT coolers like this. Pictures taken from HERE. Application on HDT Coolers
Apply as shown, fill the gaps then apply to aluminum fins not the heatpipes.
I have tried every way I could think of with HDT coolers and this worked best for me by far. It took me a couple of applications to get it right but when you do you will know. Also get a better fan as discussed here with a good high CFM and high static pressure. Like the brands mentioned earlier in this thread.

Attachments

• HDT_TIM_Application_Pipe_Fill 1.jpg
    HDT_TIM_Application_Pipe_Fill 1.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 252
^ that's what I'll do...

Even though I read that article beforehand, I tried to use a different method which I thought would be a little better. I put a little too much though.

Back