• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ultra or 9800GT Ultimate?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blakehenry00

Which will yield the most ppd? I don't really care about game performance. Price is about the same (~$150), And would it fold better with a 8800GTS or 8800GT?

Is that the one with 128sp, the ASUS one?

All I know is, any card with 128sp will give you the same PPD as a 9800GTX - ~5.6K to 6K depending on WU and OC.

I have a couple of Zotac 8800GTS with 128sp (didn't know it at the time) and it boggled me why it was doing better (most of the time) than my 9800 GTX.

I thought I had a bum 9800GTX which depressed me for a while till I found out they have the same number of sp cores.

I don't have an Ultra but I believe GPU2 clients right now favor G92 with higher sp cores, for Nvidia at least.

I haven't tried this yet... but I plan on it. I've got two of the ASUS 9800GT Ultimate cards and am going to try putting my 8800GTS in the mix as well to see if they'll play together.

Since they're really the same GPU I'm hoping they'll get along. :)

I'm going to try getting this setup by the weekend... so if you can wait I'll have a definitive answer for you later. :)

Thanks Pixie, How do you think it will fold with my GTS?

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=566599

as WP said, meanly look at the stream processor count on nVidia card. 'cos imho, NV's modeling scheme is really confusing now! many different model cards are basically the exact same card w/ lower model number.

rule of thumb on NV card is the more SP, the more ppd! GTX2xx ave 6-7k+, G92 128SP card (9800GTX, 9800GT Ulimate, 8800GTS/G92, etc.) around 6k, 112SP card (8800GT, 9800GT, etc.) around 5k, 96SP card (9600GSO, etc.) 4k+.

I haven't tried this yet... but I plan on it. I've got two of the ASUS 9800GT Ultimate cards and am going to try putting my 8800GTS in the mix as well to see if they'll play together.

Since they're really the same GPU I'm hoping they'll get along. :)

I'm going to try getting this setup by the weekend... so if you can wait I'll have a definitive answer for you later. :)

Well, this test isn't going to work exactly as I had planned... my 780i board is shot!!! :bang head If anyone remembers, it began only seeing two cores of my Q6600, so I pulled the setup from the case, let it be for a bit and bought a dual core from a Folding member to see if it would still work correctly with only a dual core. Tried this yesterday... the thing won't even POST. :mad: Even worse, I'm not the original owner, I registered the board, and now eVGA won't even talk to me about repairing it. :mad: I even told them I'd Pay to have them repair it! No dice. So now I'm just out almost $200. :mad:

Oh well, live and learn... and don't buy eVGA products second hand kids.

If you do...

- be sure you buy from the original owner

- be sure the original owner can produce a copy of the original invoice

- be sure that original owner registered the product within the first 30 days of purchase (this qualifies for lifetime warranty)

- be sure that the original owner will be willing and available to help you with an RMA if necessary

Ok, so now that's over... I still need a board. So I decided to go the bit cheaper route and pick up an eVGA 750i FTW (all solid capacitor) mobo. Only dual SLI, so I won't be able to test the two 9800GT Ultimates together with the 8800GTS G92. But what I will still try is one of each, this will still tell us if they play nicely together... and hopefully I'll end up with a nice, stable, 9800GT Ultimate SLI rig. I may end up liking Crysis after all. :D

Well, this test isn't going to work exactly as I had planned... my 780i board is shot!!! :bang head If anyone remembers, it began only seeing two cores of my Q6600, so I pulled the setup from the case, let it be for a bit and bought a dual core from a Folding member to see if it would still work correctly with only a dual core. Tried this yesterday... the thing won't even POST. :mad: Even worse, I'm not the original owner, I registered the board, and now eVGA won't even talk to me about repairing it. :mad: I even told them I'd Pay to have them repair it! No dice. So now I'm just out almost $200. :mad:

Oh well, live and learn... and don't buy eVGA products second hand kids.

If you do...

- be sure you buy from the original owner

- be sure the original owner can produce a copy of the original invoice

- be sure that original owner registered the product within the first 30 days of purchase (this qualifies for lifetime warranty)

- be sure that the original owner will be willing and available to help you with an RMA if necessary

Ok, so now that's over... I still need a board. So I decided to go the bit cheaper route and pick up an eVGA 750i FTW (all solid capacitor) mobo. Only dual SLI, so I won't be able to test the two 9800GT Ultimates together with the 8800GTS G92. But what I will still try is one of each, this will still tell us if they play nicely together... and hopefully I'll end up with a nice, stable, 9800GT Ultimate SLI rig. I may end up liking Crysis after all. :D

oh boy.... that sux...!!! :bang head

yeah, I DO NOT like mine neither even tho it's folding fine right now....

btw, why another eVGA board? especially since you are looking for a dual slot?? why not Intel board?? (oh, it's for the SLI gaming right? I forgot...) if so, you should just wait out for another month for the X58 board imho.

oh boy.... that sux...!!! :bang head

yeah, I DO NOT like mine neither even tho it's folding fine right now....

btw, why another eVGA board? especially since you are looking for a dual slot?? why not Intel board?? (oh, it's for the SLI gaming right? I forgot...) if so, you should just wait out for another month for the X58 board imho.

Well... another eVGA b/c at least this time I can register it and actually get a lifetme warranty. I don't buy Asus (mainboards), and the only other option was XFX. Before this unfortunate happening... all the eVGA products I have ever bought have been top notch, so that's why I'm giving them another shot.

Whew... yeah, X58... that's not gonna be cheap!!! :D You guys with all the money can go ahead with that one... I don't think I'll be upgrading anything to Neha until some time next year. ;)

blakehenry00 said:
My 680i eVGA mobo is still running strong They didn't even ask for an invoice when my 8800GT died.

From here: http://www.evga.com/support/lifetime/default.asp

eVGA Warranty said:
ALL Defective products sent in for RMA replacement MUST INCLUDE A COPY OF THE ORIGINAL INVOICE / RECEIPT. (Products NOT including invoice/receipt will be returned to the customer at customers expense.)

If they didn't ask for an invoice... may I ask how you went about your RMA? Did you take care of it completely over the Web? ...or did you talk to someone on the phone? Email?

From the way the above quote reads... if I sent the board without the original invoice they'd just turn it around and send it back to me, and charge me for it to boot!

I got them both running but the 9800GT gets 6.1K PPD and the 8800GTS 640MB gets 2.5K. Is it just a conflict between the two cards?

Most people seem to have the 2nd card produce about 1/2 the PPD expected when you mix and match cards. Though a few do seem to get full PPD, as far as I'm aware, nobody has identified the cause.

An 8800 GTS 640MB card should get almost 4K ppd on the new 1.13 core.

Back