• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why does my computer freeze when playing movies???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hovie

Registered
Have had problems with my movies freezing up my computer when watching. Today, when I went to watch a movie (iso image) it stopped and a blue screen came up saying "hardware malfunction...please see vendor for support." Tried to watch it a few time and it kept doing this. Is this my DVD drive that needs attented to? What should I do?

Called Pioneer and they said it sounds like a bad drive. I have just now started to play the actual dvd's instead of the ISO images from my hard drive and I haven't had a problem as of yet. Might be occurring when I play iso images. Any ideas? Should I still have them send the new DVD rom? Thanks

If I am reading it correctly your computer is freezing when playing ISO's from the hard drive and not original or burned DVD's. If that is the case then it has nothing to do with the burner. What OS are you on? Are you OC'd? What are you using to play the ISO's? Have you tried an alternative program? Can you list your computers specs?

I am using Windows XP. I'm using Any Dvd to un-copy right the movies than using DVD shrink to encrypt it and convert to iso format. I've played the iso's on numerous players and it freezes on all. I think your right as well. I dont think its the burner either. I did have it OC'ed but put it back to stock configuration to see if it would help and still have the same result. Possibly could be the OS. Computer specs below:

Intel core 2 quad Q6600
EVGA 750 ftw sli MB
XFX 8800 Ultra GPU
2G Corsair DDR 2 dual channel
500 GB Sea Gate 7,200 Hdd Sata
750 w ultra psu
Tuniq Tower CPU cooler
Pioneer Blue Ray/DVD/player/DVD/CD-RW

Have you tried playing them before shrinking the, just the straight rip? First thing I would do is run a full battery of stability tests just to make sure it is software related. If that checks out at least you know it is a software problem. What media players have you tried? What codec pack, if any, are you using? Tried VLC?

Yes, Iv'e used VLC. It locks up on all. I will run Prime95 for about 5-6 hours and see what it does than. Thanks for the help so far phidelt.

so playing a retail DVD it freezes?

what codec packs do you have installed and what programs?

i would say remove every single codec pack and player you have, reboot.

then install VLC - try to play the retail DVD see if it crashes....

It plays the actual DVD disk's fine. It's the ISO images that I mount and play that freeze up.

try to rip it in non ISO format, rip it in the folder format

or rip it in ISO mode and try to mount it with Daemon Tools then try to play it ?

I'm using Daemon tools. Every once in awhile i can get it to play all the way through. There's a software problem somewhere. There's something going on. Just hard to pin point.

Back