• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is your HTPC set-up? Single client? Server? Monitor(s)? Keyboard? etc...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Great Satchmo

Registered
So I'm curious, what is your set-up for HTPC use? Not necessarily what stats on the machine(s), but what is your overall set-up?

Right now, I have a since client/server (has a 500gig HDD for OS and storage) next to a 32" LCD, no monitor, no keyboard, and just a microsoft remote. I use my laptop (where I do all of my surfing and work) to remote access into the HTPC to do whatever I have to). I have a server in my closet (wired connection to the router which the HTPC is hooked up to as well), it has no monitor/TV/keyboard or anything, I also just remote access into that and manage my legal downloading. My idea was to use the server to rip and convert DVD's with AutoGK, but as of now I haven't done that.

I'd love to run a HD projector for either xbox 360 or when I'm watching a movie.

What about ya'll? Whats worked out best?

56" Samsung DLP
no keyboard, no mouse, just use my Logitech Harmony 550 to control it. if something gets messed up, i vnc into it from my computer. my dvds are all stored on my 3.2TB + openfiler nas box and streamed via the network...unfortunately where my HTPC sits there is no way to get ethernet to it so i am using a very nice cisco wireless card (antenna has about an 8 foot cord on it so I can mount it high and its almost in range of sight to my access point.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=499215 :cool:

I mostly use my PS3 for watching disc-based movies, and a PC connected to my TV for watching downloadable-content. There is nothing special about the PC, other then it has a HDTV tuner that I don't use. With a Conroe-L at 3.2 GHz it is whisper quiet.

Last edited:
My HTPC sits in my computer room hooked to my 61" DLP and Rx-v463 via 30' DVI/HDMI and 30' Toslink cable. HTPC set up is a Q6600, 2gigs ram with a 500gig for movies and a 200disc DVD changer. I also use this for gaming so I have a MS Bluetooth Elite keyboard and mouse.

61" Samsung LED DLP with HTPC in sig which runs smooth and quiet. Click HTPC in sig for pic.

Currently using a
intel DX33TL or something mobo (mATX)
E2180 stock
2x2GB Gskill DDR8000 (goign to drop it too 667 4-4-4 ram when i get around to it)
80GB OS drive with 320GB Storage drive and 80GB stargate SG-1 drive (full)
HD2600 pro PCIe
VistaU 32bit
Cheap 20 dollar remote from newegg for VMC
LC-20 HTPC case
2x92 panaflo fans and 2x80 masscool fans for ventilation
Antec TPII 550W

Considering swapping it out with my quad core phenom system, and now that I am home my almost full 750GB hdd is going to be put in there as well.

MY gaming PC has a BT Microsoft media desktop also, and it is awesome, I would love to use it on the HTPC, but with kids in the house there is no way it is going downstairs

HTPC in sig is hooked to the samsung 52inch LCD, and the yamaha RX-V661 reciever. It has a keyboard and mouse that are used on occasion, but overall it is controlled via an ATI remote wonder plus with mediaportal front end. The htpc has an ATI tv wonder tv tuner but i have yet to set it up.

Music is stored on my main rig in a shared folder, as well as on my servers hd (none of the content is stored on the HTPC's hd atm) mainly my htpc is used as a dvd player and super good upscaler and music player when im not sitting at my main rig but am working upstairs. Pics of setup in the "52inches of crysis link below"

No true HTPC here so to say. Just a couple of 1TB hard drives in my desktop rig that stream full DVD backups to a couple of softmodded Xboxes :D. One hooked to a 32" LCDTV and one to a 30" widescreen tube HDTV. The Xbox upconverts quite nicely to 720p/1080i.

Server/Client here. and is currently in the process of complete redo.

a WHS box to serve as media server (and backup whole house PCs) in the basement.

in living room, 52" Samsung DLP, a HTPC which also serve as PVR server (running BeyondTV), Harmony 880 remote.

in bedroom, a 42" LCD, a thin barebone HTPC client, Harmony 520.

in basement dedicated home theater, a Epson 1080UB projector onto a 100" screen, a thin HTPC client, but powerful enough to play backed up full quality Bluray movies, Harmony 1000 (which also remote control the HT lighting and PS3).

EDIT: when I'm all done with the re-do of my house's media distribution/HTPCs, I might do a full write up for it.....

all runs on MeediOS front end and BeyondTV as PVR.

Last edited:
Server/Client here. and is currently in the process of complete redo.

a WHS box to serve as media server (and backup whole house PCs) in the basement.

in living room, 52" Samsung DLP, a HTPC which also serve as PVR server (running BeyondTV), Harmony 880 remote.

in bedroom, a 42" LCD, a thin barebone HTPC client, Harmony 520.

in basement dedicated home theater, a Epson 1080UB projector onto a 100" screen, a thin HTPC client, but powerful enough to play backed up full quality Bluray movies, Harmony 1000 (which also remote control the HT lighting and PS3).

all runs on MeediOS front end and BeyondTV as PVR.

Wow! What do you do for a living to afford all of that? lol

I think I missed the entire point of an HTPC.

I'm running a Quad Core Q6600 with 3gigs of DDR2 and a 1TB media drive tucked under my counter as my server.

I'm running TVersity and streaming the media to my XBox360, which plays the movies/media through my 720p projector.

Am I doing it wrong?

I think I missed the entire point of an HTPC.

I'm running a Quad Core Q6600 with 3gigs of DDR2 and a 1TB media drive tucked under my counter as my server.

I'm running TVersity and streaming the media to my XBox360, which plays the movies/media through my 720p projector.

Am I doing it wrong?

Youre all good Wraith. I do the same thing as you, but with classic Xboxes :D

Mines running with BTV and a FireFly remote. It's hooked up to a Westinghouse 42" TV as the monitor, no keyboard, but a USB mouse is usually hooked up to it. If there is something that requires a keyboard, VNC saves the day. It also holds my media of various sorts and acts as a print server.

Back