Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Disabled

What is AMD's best chip?

Intel's is a quad clocked at 3.2GHZ. I went to AMD's site but it's not friendly, so can somebody please just post what their best quad iis clocked at? (stock speed)

From my experience the best performing (not effeciant) QUAD FX platform will out perform any phenom but im sure other people will think different. Its not supported anymore anyway so the best available chip would be a phenom. But all this is goin to change in a few months with the new AMD stuff.

Disabled
    oh ok wow they really do need to upgrade considering that their best quad is only 2.6GHZ. That's the clock speed I have for a simple quad.

Quote Originally Posted by science man View Post
    oh ok wow they really do need to upgrade considering that their best quad is only 2.6GHZ. That's the clock speed I have for a simple quad.
    Yea but we will see Quads at 3.0 and up from AMD in a few months or maybe summer of next year.

if you are thinking of upgrading, wait until deneb, then AMD will be a bit more competitive in terms of performance.
    - - M a i n R i g - -
    E2140 @ 375 x 8 = 3ghz w/ 1.3375v
    ^Tuniq Tower 120^
    Gigabyte P35-S3L
    powercolor HD4890 @ 850/975
    OCZ System 1337s 2x1 5-5-5-15 2T @ 450mhz.
    2TB 7200.12+ Seagate
    Silverstone Decathalon 650W Modular

Perhaps you should replace "best" with "highest clock speed"?
    I have a fishy stick!

Disabled
    Quote Originally Posted by RaV3N View Post
    Yea but we will see Quads at 3.0 and up from AMD in a few months or maybe summer of next year.
    By next summer they should have their quads up to 4ghz minimum.

Disabled
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethre View Post
    Perhaps you should replace "best" with "highest clock speed"?
    That ability doesn't exist here and besides I do think that the higher the clock speed the better. Don't you?

That will be cool. Im probably gonna wait till everything around for atleast 8 months before i think about gettin anything.

By next summer they should have their quads up to 4ghz minimum.
    cant be too certain, even though that 4.3 deneb thread at xs exists, you shouldnt be stating minimums any time yet
    Heat
    5820k, x99 ud4, 8gb 2133, gtx 470

Disabled
    Quote Originally Posted by e6600 View Post
    cant be too certain, even though that 4.3 deneb thread at xs exists, you shouldnt be stating minimums any time yet
    Don't underestimate technology advancements rapidness. When the duo came out nobody ever thourgh about a quad which came out the next year.

That ability doesn't exist here and besides I do think that the higher the clock speed the better. Don't you?
    Not really.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megahertz_myth

That's what I've always learned/heard anyway. I think there's still something to be said for an on-chip memory controller.
    I have a fishy stick!

Disabled
    oh sorry I forgot about those factors. Heh I guess thoose factors explain why ocing has a limit.

Heh, don't worry about it - its not to say it isn't the best chip. It just depends on the usage of the chip. Large number crunching should benefit from increased speed, although for personal use its probably a less reliable benefit.

That said, this is an OC forum - and we do like to up the speeds even if it doesn't really benefit much.
    I have a fishy stick!

The Phenom 9950BE 125W is their best chip and its Vcc 1.05-1.30v Icc 96A running at 2.6G CPU and 2.0G NB/HT.

4.3/4.0G Deneb -> Hype = 51% hidden special detail + 49% select marketing. Ignore this or you'll just frustrate your own expectations when the product launches.

3.3-3.7G Deneb -> now thats more realistic and certainly on for day to day use.

Day to day as in below safe voltage and general cooling/case limits, running daily with default stability for over 4-5 weeks with no change.

There isnt a such thing as best chips, new chips come out almost every year. pent1,pent2,pent3,pent4,celeron,duos,quads,....wha ts next? maybe a 6 core cpu?

Quote Originally Posted by A15G View Post
    ....whats next? maybe a 6 core cpu?
    Old news in old

http://www.betanews.com/article/Sixc...ear/1205790710

Not to mention the Octo-cores that are also in the works.
    No Rig currently :(
    New Rig to be built in coming months......i7? Maybe :)

"I Reject Your Reality, and Substitute My Own"
    E8400(CO) @ 4.2Ghz with 1.312v/4.5Ghz with 1.38v - Retired
    Heatware[/SIZE]

6-Core is already being shipped.

I didn't know that - I wonder if its worth it though. Most programs aren't even properly designed for dual core yet.
    I have a fishy stick!

Disabled
    Yep oct core is in most Mac Pro's now and I know that Dell makes them too but can't them on their site.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast