• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is AMD's best chip?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
:drool:

I didn't know that - I wonder if its worth it though. Most programs aren't even properly designed for dual core yet.
Not for desktop, no chance by far. 4cores are still inferior to 2cores (higher clock) on the desktop.
It has monster performance power in Server/Workstation in some apps, massive lead where things scale with cores past 16 cores but most apps in server/workstation world do not scale to +16 cores and thats where it doesn't do well. HPC builds is where it will do particularly great.
Intel FSB based socket scaling is so poor that as the sockets increase, scaling falls inevitably so any advantage it held also trickles away where you have mainstream apps in which 4cores in plus >4 sockets are level per clock if not beating the 6cores in >4 sockets. Its also only made for 4 socket plus environments.

This was one noteworthy testing by Johan: http://it.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/intel/showdoc.aspx?i=3414&p=1

Yep oct core is in most Mac Pro's now and I know that Dell makes them too but can't them on their site.

They are not octo-core, the Mac Pros you mention use two quad-core Xeon processors, similar to Yorkfield Core 2 Quads.

yes, of course oct-core is short for 8 cores, but really everyone knows when you say Oct-core you're talking about on a single die or at least a single socket. By your logic, "oct-core" has been out for a VERY long time since multi-socket server boards have been in existence for quite a while now.

Hey one more question (I think) what wulbe the most multi-socketed board that can handle all chips as quads?

Hey one more question (I think) what wulbe the most multi-socketed board that can handle all chips as quads?
dont you think google would be a better place for this stuff?
i mean when i want to learn something, i google, then i ask

and i think i saw a quad socket board before, but its not really that efficient

Back