• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is AMD's best chip?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

science man

Disabled
Intel's is a quad clocked at 3.2GHZ. I went to AMD's site but it's not friendly, so can somebody please just post what their best quad iis clocked at? (stock speed)

From my experience the best performing (not effeciant) QUAD FX platform will out perform any phenom but im sure other people will think different. Its not supported anymore anyway so the best available chip would be a phenom. But all this is goin to change in a few months with the new AMD stuff.

oh ok wow they really do need to upgrade considering that their best quad is only 2.6GHZ. That's the clock speed I have for a simple quad.

That will be cool. Im probably gonna wait till everything around for atleast 8 months before i think about gettin anything.

cant be too certain, even though that 4.3 deneb thread at xs exists, you shouldnt be stating minimums any time yet

Don't underestimate technology advancements rapidness. When the duo came out nobody ever thourgh about a quad which came out the next year.

oh sorry I forgot about those factors. Heh I guess thoose factors explain why ocing has a limit.

Heh, don't worry about it - its not to say it isn't the best chip. It just depends on the usage of the chip. Large number crunching should benefit from increased speed, although for personal use its probably a less reliable benefit.

That said, this is an OC forum - and we do like to up the speeds even if it doesn't really benefit much. :)

The Phenom 9950BE 125W is their best chip and its Vcc 1.05-1.30v Icc 96A running at 2.6G CPU and 2.0G NB/HT.

4.3/4.0G Deneb -> Hype = 51% hidden special detail + 49% select marketing. Ignore this or you'll just frustrate your own expectations when the product launches.

3.3-3.7G Deneb -> now thats more realistic and certainly on for day to day use.

Day to day as in below safe voltage and general cooling/case limits, running daily with default stability for over 4-5 weeks with no change.

There isnt a such thing as best chips, new chips come out almost every year. pent1,pent2,pent3,pent4,celeron,duos,quads,....whats next? maybe a 6 core cpu?

:drool:

I didn't know that - I wonder if its worth it though. Most programs aren't even properly designed for dual core yet.

Yep oct core is in most Mac Pro's now and I know that Dell makes them too but can't them on their site.

Back