• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Temp Monitoring Software causing Freezes/Artifacts.... Strange.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

don'tknow

After a bunch of testing with different BIOS settings, I found out that much of my problems with freezing/artifacts was actually the software I use to monitor CPU temps. RealTemp, CoreTemp or Speedfan... doesn't matter which I use, if I play a game with one of those running, within the first 30 sec it freezes briefly then gets a weird layer of artifacts all over the screen. Then it give me an nv4_disp.dll error.

Using EVGA Precision to monitor my GPU temps/speeds is fine. But if I use anything to monitor my CPU temp as well, it causes artifacts. Is this some kind of conflict of running 2 temp monitoring apps at once, or what? If so, then how can I monitor both my CPU and GPU temps, along with ambient temp/gpu fan speed and clocks, without stability issues?

I don't really understand why this is causing a problem. Maybe nvidia drivers have issues with temp monitoring software... because I ran 2 different apps to monitor both my gpu and cpu temp on all my old ATI cards. I've tried many different forceware drivers and this happens on all of them. Posted this here because I'm not really sure if it's a GPU problem or some problem with temperature sensors or the software reading the temps... anyone ever experienced something like this?

That is strange I ran 2 or more apps at once including RealTemp, CoreTemp and Speedfan with my old NVIDIA card with no problems at all, and I run them now with my ATI card with no problems.
Hope someone here can shed some light on this it would be interesting to know why it is happening to you.

Last edited:
The nv4_disp.dll error is a Nvidia driver error. I just did a driver rollback when I got that error and that fixed all the issues.

Ok I think I got it more stable now... it was those bios settings for Load Line Calibration/Spectrum/Clock Skew... being on Auto or Enabled seems to be bad. Disabling them made me stable @ 4ghz, 1.34v.

Maybe the hardware monitoring sensors on the mobo get messed up with any one of the above settings Auto/Enabled, and that could be why it artifacts if I load any temp monitoring software that uses those sensors on my mobo and not GPU.

As for the nv4_disp.dll error, it seems to only happen in 3dmark, and that's the only thing I can't get running stable while OC'd right now. Orthos stable over 3 hours, Crysis: Warhead stable; have been playing for a few hours now... yet the moment I run 3dmark06, it artifacts within minutes and then gives me the "nv4_disp.dll has stopped working normally, you need to reboot etc" error. All my other games are stable. The only difference is that 3dmark06 is on my OS drive which is IDE, while my games are on my SATA drive. Could be the IDE incompatibility of this board... recently I figured out that if I set SATA to be detected as AHCI, every game I run gets freeze/artifacts/nv4 error, but if I set it to detect as IDE, everything is fine... except 3dmark06.

My temps are all fine... well, in Orthos my Core temp goes a bit too high, 68C at 4ghz, but it's stable... in games it goes to 60C max, while the GPU temp gets to 65C max.

Back